Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum

Hey guys just curious if any of you have had a chance to play with or try the Fly Creek 2 Platinum series. At 1lb 13oz for a two man capable tent it unbelievable. Weighs in 1oz lighter than the traditional Fly Creek UL1. Whats your thoughts about this new platinum series? I looking at choosing this tent for my upcoming WA state goat tag over the Hillberg AKTO for shear weight savings and added room....
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreek2Platinum

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If your #1 concern is weight, than the BAP is a great choice. It's not bomb proof, but it shouldn't be at that weight.

OP
Bearhunter
Recently set up the AKTO at a local Mountaineering shop. I was very impressed with the quality of the Hillberg but it was pushing the scale at 4lbs which isnt overly heavy by any means. It seemed a bit cramped, and am thinking I may take my oldest son whos 4.5 years old out on his first short high lake trip this summer and am thinking that the Big A may be the better choice for roominess as well. But I will be hunting the mountain in possible snow this fall for Goat, so I am torn on what tent to purchase. The wind is always blowing and snow can could fly at anytime where I will be hunting on Mt. Baker here in North West WA. Maybe I should man up and pack the extra weight from the AKTO......

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered 1 from a local shop and they said it was going to be shipped out 3/1. I hope it works.......................... as a fair weather tent.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have my Akto down to 3# 2 oz....I bought a Vibraplex carbon pole, which is exactly one half the weight of the original. I use titanium stakes and not as many and have changed my guy lines to Triptease also. I don't use any stuff sacks for the pole or tent either. I secure them with a rubberband and roll them up in the final stages of putting the tent in the stuff sack.

The Platinum weight of 1#13oz is the trail weight. That is tent, fly and poles, nothing else. This tent will come in at about 2#3oz, which is pretty damn good for the size of this tent.

OP
Bearhunter
This site is great, I love having a place with a lot of Hardcore guys that have gone threw the things I am encountering!!! Thanks for all the great info so far!!

stephen b

WKR
You did not ask about this tent- but this one (Montbell Cresent 2) is a good 3+ season tent for 2 that comes in a legit 3lbs weighed on my scale with everything packaged as it came. Lose the pole repair sleeve, stake and pole sacks and lighter stakes and you are down to 2 lbs 12 oz or less. I got it and sold my AKTO because I wanted a tent to use with my wife for a light weight tent for 2. And because I mostly use floorless shelters ( Golite and Integral Designs) when alone. But when I want a tent for just me- solo this tent is a palace compared to the AKTO. True the Montbell may not be true 4 season- but it is plenty stout when I used it in very windy conditions and rain and snow.

It is a Hybrid tent ( part of the ceiling is single wall)- but I did not find the condensation to be very bad. It also does not have much of a vestibule- but the sq. footage is a roomy all usable 33.9 sq. ft. which is quite roomy. I also am impressed with the materials and workmanship. The material seems tougher than the Shire TarpTents that I have had and used. The Montbell material is more heavy duty- and hence weigh more. - For ex. the Floor is better.

mont-bell CRESCENT 2

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=38&p_id=2322297

k_2322297_fost.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Bearhunter
Went and setup the flycreek 2 today at REI and wasnt impressed with the amount of room, think the AKTO would be worth its weight over the FL2. Far superior material build than the BA tent. Stephen b, I am very interested in the Montbell it looks like a great tent is there plenty of head room in it. I am trying to get a all in one tent as well and use it once in awhile with my wife as well. Price and weight isnt bad either. Any one else ever use the Montbell?

stephen b

WKR
Went and setup the flycreek 2 today at REI and wasnt impressed with the amount of room, think the AKTO would be worth its weight over the FL2. Far superior material build than the BA tent. Stephen b, I am very interested in the Montbell it looks like a great tent is there plenty of head room in it. I am trying to get a all in one tent as well and use it once in awhile with my wife as well. Price and weight isnt bad either. Any one else ever use the Montbell?

The AKTO is a fantastic tent and can not be beat. The only reason I sold mine when I got the Montbell Cresent 2 had to do with tradeoffs in what I was looking for. I usually use a floorless shelter for hunting by myself and only once in a while use a tent. The Montbell fit another need for me in that it would be a light wt. option to use with my wife- where as the AKTO does not really work for 2 unless you take out the inner and only use the shell. But then no netting and my wife hates 'skeeters. When I got the Montbell Cresent 2 (MB C-2) and set it up next to my AKTO in my bonus room- the MB C-2 is a lot more spacious in the inside and seems like it would almost take as much of a snow load as the AKTO. I have not had the MB out in snow- but I have with the Akto and it can sag on the ends (Hd and Ft) with 5-6 inches of heavy western Oregon snow. It is not to me a true 4 season tent like the rest of the Hillebergs are. It is just not going to happen with a single hoop.

The MB C-2 has almost 34 sq. ft and is all a usable rectangle on the inside. It has about 45" of interior ht at the peak and feels way roomier when in it compared to the Akto ( 18.3 sq. ft.)- by a lot - esp. solo. The hd. room is a lot better in the MB compared to the Akto. So even though the Akto is from a super great company and has some options that are better than the MB- for my needs- I went with the MB and sold my Akto. Downsides of the MB- small vestibule and half of the wall is single wall- but I did not find the condensation on that side bad even in our western Oregon wet ground and humid air. It has good air flow. It is a good quality built tent (would have to check the tag, but I think it is Made in Japan as opposed to some of the other SE Asian countrys). I have a few of Montbell's other outdoor clothes and a pad/ pillow and some other gear and have always been impressed with their stuff.

Also on the scale the MB all up ready to go is lighter than the Akto ( in specs and on my scale) by 6-8 oz.

** I got mine on sale and got a good buy on my MB. I see now that Backcountrygear has them on sale now.