Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Platinum

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to try this tent when I first saw it advertised several months ago. 2 person tent for two pounds and a vestibule, tough to beat. I have used the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 for a couple of years several years ago. That tent was fine, but it was tight and I have never been a great fan of the front opening tents. I was a little concerned when I saw the MSRP of this tent at $499. But you can get them for $400 at several places online with free shipping and no tax, so I took the plunge.

First off this is tent is exactly the same dimensions as the Fly Creek UL2, but the materials used are lighter and have more mesh material used on the tent itself. The feel of the tent seems "thinner" than the original Fly Creek, so I am guessing that is how the weight is reduced also. It is also , you guessed it, a platinum color verse the old color which is sort of gold/tan/orange assortment. Overall the tent was put together just like all the Big Agnes tents, and are pitched like the entire line of Ultra Light tents Big Agnes offers.

DSC01623.jpg

The tent came packaged at 2 pounds 4.2 ounces, slightly higher than advertised. I discarded the stuff sacks for the stakes and poles and replaced the BA stakes with the new Carbon MSR stakes. My packaged tent weight is 2 pounds 1.8 ounces with the stake change and getting rid of the extra stuff sacks.

The tent itself is like a bathtub floor with the entire upper mesh. The pole system is actually three poles that are connected through a hub.

DSC01627.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

As you can see in the pictures, it looks like all the other BA tents. I think they could have put one more attachment from the tent to the pole system in the middle of the lower end as you can see the angle is fairly steep. This area would only really provide more room for your legs, but it more volume at nearly no weight cost would be nice.

The fly also went on like all the other BA tents and was a snug fit over the pole system. The middle of the tent has clips that attach to the fly to pull out the inner tent slightly for more side wall room. There are also four additional guy lines on the fly if you needed to really guy it out in severe weather. I have had several BA Tents and have never used these. I thought of removing them, but I took them off and it was about a one ounce weight savings, so I put them back just in case one day I need them.

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01631.jpg

Once it was all set up, I thought there was no way two people could fit in it. It was more like a one person tent with plenty of room for clothes and some equipment.

DSC01635.jpg

The vestibule was plenty big for your boots or in a pinch I think I could put my Duplex Timberline 2 in there, but it would have been tight. I generally keep the vestibule clear, except my boots, so when I get up in the middle of the night I don't trip over everything.

The tent also has three mesh storage pockets on the inside, left, right and above, which were all very handy.

Overall, I liked it. Lightweight, easy to set up and will probably handle any weather I will get myself into in the back country.

Is it big enough for two people and some of their gear? I hunt a lot with my girlfriend and I would use this one when she comes along instead of the Mega Tarp.

Since it is the same dimensions as the original UL2 two pads will fit in it, but they will be tight. The issue for me being 6'2" was the slope of the rear wall and not touching the ceiling/walls with my feet.
To be clear, I have no problems using it solo, but it does get a bit tight with two people. All in all a very nice tent...sure would have liked to save the ounces with the platinum model though.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nick I know you can get two pads side by side, but both outside shoulders of each person would probably be touching the outside edge of the inner tent. With this tent being all netting in that area, I don't think it would matter much, just don't rub the fly or moisture could drip through. I am only 6' tall and I also had my feet touching the netting where the back end sloped down, but again, since it is netting, I didn't have any issues with moisture because of this. I know on some other small tents I have used, if I were to touch the material in the tent, then moisture would drip through.

I also think if you put two people in this tent, you wont have room for anything else unless it is under you or in one of the small mesh storage pockets.

I have a two hunt 18 day hunting trip coming up and I will be using this tent for 17 nights of that 18 day trip.

Yukondog

WKR
I have the FC UL3 version and it is okay with two people and some clothes. I'm 6'4" and 210 so I max it out. I've had maybe 10 nights in it and have been veey happy with the tent. Though I am trying to sell my hunting partners on the megatarp with annex. So much more room and lighter. I was told I should not take it above treeline. It doesn't hold up well to wind. Heard about a guy who used this tent hunting mulies and ended up bunking in with his partner and his supertarp. His FC lost the battle in a bad way, not much to bring home after the high winds. With the ultra lightweight material used it simply doesn't hold up well to big winds.

My FC UL3 with footprint comes in a touch under 4lbs. Two pounds per guy to haul.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ed, that's a hunting partner for sure if the two of us get in there. I don't think there would be enough room left over to even fart.

LMAO!

No bueno that some gear won't fit inside the tent as well. Last season we used the Jack Rabbit, which aside from the extra weight that comes along with it, it has two vestibules so our gear was easlily able to fit in them.

I am going to try this one out and if I don't like it I do not think it will be hard to re-sell it.

Vandal 44

WKR
I love the wieght of the Fly Cree Platinum. I am to tall for the tent, my feet where touching the end. For those that are looking for the Fly Creek and the Fly Creek Platinum Mountian Gear had them on sale for $259 and $379 for the platinum

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I love the wieght of the Fly Cree Platinum. I am to tall for the tent, my feet where touching the end. For those that are looking for the Fly Creek and the Fly Creek Platinum Mountian Gear had them on sale for $259 and $379 for the platinum

That piece of information was appreciated, and cost me $380, (but saved me $120). I needed something new to play with.

cmeier117

WKR
I have the FC UL3 version and it is okay with two people and some clothes. I'm 6'4" and 210 so I max it out. I've had maybe 10 nights in it and have been veey happy with the tent. Though I am trying to sell my hunting partners on the megatarp with annex. So much more room and lighter. I was told I should not take it above treeline. It doesn't hold up well to wind. Heard about a guy who used this tent hunting mulies and ended up bunking in with his partner and his supertarp. His FC lost the battle in a bad way, not much to bring home after the high winds. With the ultra lightweight material used it simply doesn't hold up well to big winds.

My FC UL3 with footprint comes in a touch under 4lbs. Two pounds per guy to haul.

This is why I got the Super Tarp. I couldn't justify carrying a Hilliberg nallo2 or 3 gt and wanted something I new would hold up to wind and snow. Imagine if that guy didn't have a partner with another tent still standing.

I have the UL3 as well. I really can't complain with its ability to handle winds. I have had it out several times in winds from 30-55mps with no problems.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last I checked with Promotive, they had them on the site, but when you tried to order it said it was unavailable at this time. It could have changed, but this wasn't that long ago. The price through them was $375 plus your state tax and shipping. I paid $404 for mine, no tax or shipping.

RosinBag, they are $299 plus $15 shipping and a $2 transaction fee, total is $316. I ordered one and they were backordered so I was put on a list and about 1 week later got an email saying they were available, and got one. Its worth the wait! I do like my MSR carbon reflex 2 better thou as there is way more room for 2 and the material is a bit more robust feeling. The Platinum is a great built tent it just feels like the material with be re supseptable to tearing, cant beat the weight thou!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord