Big Agnes fly creek

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
Why is the Fly Creek tent never mentioned for hunting?? The UL2 is a sub 2 lb. tent and would be perfect for solo hunting. You could even shave some more weight going to the UL1. Looks like a good option for me. Anyone have any experience with these tents??

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is the Fly Creek tent never mentioned for hunting?? The UL2 is a sub 2 lb. tent and would be perfect for solo hunting. You could even shave some more weight going to the UL1. Looks like a good option for me. Anyone have any experience with these tents??
That's been my go to tent for the last 5 years. Spent many nights in mine. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A great tent it is. I am getting older and the end vestible was getting to be a bitch for me as I am not quite as "bendy" as I used to be. I sold my awesome fly crk ul 1 and bought an msr hubba with the side vestible. I hope it works as well as the fly crk did. Its a bit heavier!

I would stay away from the 1 person unless you have a plan to leave your pack exposed to the elements. (raining over night can soak you shoulder straps/ lumbar pad and thats not fun for anyone. )
I run a BigAgnes q-core deluxe that sits @ 25W/78L. My Muskege does not fit in the vestibule and becomes a hassle to sleep in the tent when you are moving around your gear.
I returned mine because, realistically, it was out of my budget. I do want to get a FlyCreek UL 2P and run the fast fly setup + footprint. That would be pretty light.

I just recently picked up a fly creek hv ul 2p.

It’s a great tent and the weight is right at 1# 15oz for the tent and fly. With all the stakes and a footprint it comes in at 2# 7oz.

I’ve just simply decided that I’m a guy who likes to spread out all my stuff while camping so I’m going to sell it and go with a tipi style for the floor space.

Other than personally wanting more room, it’s well built. The fabric is surprising durable for as light as it is. Super easy to set up. Guys just like the double doors of the copper spur and are willing to pay the weight penalty for it. To me it’s not very necessary.

Backyard

WKR
I think the Flycreeks are great! I've had a UL1, which was a little small. then got a deal on a UL3, that is now my wife and I's go-to cycle tripping tent. And I use a UL2 for my hunting. As far as the end entrance, I just unzip it down from the top and stand up then step out, instead of reaching way out to the bottom zipper when exiting. Works for me.

I have a 2p and I only use it for trips that are 1 or 2 nights. It's a great tent, but getting in and out of the end entrance is hard on my back.

Afhunter1

WKR
I ran a FC UL2 for one 7 day hunt. Bought a Copper Spur UL2 when I got back, def worth the ounces. I also added a helinox chair zero and my weight went up bout 1.5# but camp is so much more comfortable now.

Agree with the others. Single end entry stinks. Much prefer the side entry and slight weight penalty of the copper spur tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Fly Creek UL2 for 20+ nights per year for the last 6-7 years. Its great. It's light and they can be found cheap on eBay. Only drawback is that the end entry is awkward. I'm flexible enough that it doesn't bother me.

Tip: use the stakes that are included if you're camping in timber. Buy MSR Groundhog stakes (7-1/2") if you're camping above treeline, or anywhere else with high winds.

I hated my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1!!! Side winds would flatten it on top of you. Don't know how the poles survived. This was on a solo Stone sheep hunt.

Also was not room adequate foot room for size 13 feet on top of my Thermarest NeoAir UL. Small feet might fit, but mine sure did not. This wasn't obvious in the store when I "tested" it as there was no pad in the tent. As mentioned the lack of a side vestibule for decent storage for the pack and bow and shoes is also a drawback.

Overall I have had bad luck with Big Agnes gear....my other piece was a pad that had a "thousand holes" develop in the foot area of the pad. Heard they had faulty fabric, but it made for a miserable sheep hunt sleeping on a flat pad for a dozen days. They won't get my money again!

On the flip side, I really like my MSR Hubba Hubba NX and have thought about a Hubba one man. Any issues with them?

Last edited:

chasewild

WKR
The end-entrance is tough -- especially if you're a bit wet, or you're boots are muddy, or really when anything "fussy" happens.

BUT, when I've got a full deer on my back, I'm not cussing the space or weight it saves. I'm actually wondering outloud "maybe I SHOULD cut the handle off my toothbrush." Honestly, I'm near ready to throw everything out halfway done with an elk.

Purchased a Fly Creek 2 platinum in 2015 and still going strong despite never using a footprint or ground cloth and often cramming in there with both my wife and our black lab sleeping on top of our feet. I woke up one morning during a November Elk hunt to find 4 inches of new snow, and endured 70 mph gusts above treeline in Wyoming. I've said this before as well, Im not a huge BA fan, but this tent has withstood a beating from me and has no current damage at all aside from a little tree sap on the bottom in places.

For hunting solo it is great. 2 lbs, no bugs, easy setup and I can bring all my gear inside and leave my boots in the vestibule.

Benny40

FNG
It works and is well built but as stated before, the end entrance SUCKS! It’s not that it doesn’t work, but it gets old. You spin around to get in to bed and spin back around to put boots on/ use the vestibule. I would highly suggest getting something with a side entrance. That said, mine has lasted 5 seasons. It IS tolerable if you go light weight and buy the footprint and just use the fly/footprint kit, but if your going to do that you might as well just go Tarp trekking pole combo. I would recommend kifaru, jimmy tarps or seek outside

I have spent a few nights (about 30 or so), in a Fly Creek and it’s a decent little tent, but they absolutely suck in heavy winds, which is what I experience very often on my hunts above tree line. For that reason I won’t be using one again.

LitenFast

WKR
I spent 12 nights in one in the Brooks Range last fall. Nice lightweight tent but when the winds really picked up 2 of the nights the ridge pole was all but slapping me in the legs. I’m taking a Hilleberg this year.

Also, at 6’4” after a few days the end entrance got old. I wrote in my journal to do side vestibule tent for next longer duration trip.

Like anything it’s just if the trade off is worth it. Really lightweight double wall shelter with a few drawbacks. It did an amazing job of keeping all the mosquitoes out which I was very thankful for.

I’d think the copper spur would be a more likely choice for me in the future if I was wanting a light double wall solo shelter.