Big agnes sleep system was cold

Cliffy12

WKR
I just got the new big agnes sleep system with the anvil horn 30* bag and the q core slx sleeping pad. It was awesome not sliding off my pad during the night and I was perfectly warm in the bag. The problem I was having was that the side that was touching the pad was cold. I assume it was the air getting cold and making the top of the pad cold. It was about 40* during the night and I had a light baselayer, socks and beanie on. I was super warm and actually had to take off the upper base layer. It was cold on my side when I rolled over from side to side. And seemed like it took some time to warm up so it was comfortable. The pad is rated at 3.2 r value and a 3 season. I just had it this last weekend and not super cold yet.
Any suggestions on something to do or do I need a higher r value pad? I think it will be a little cooler in September and don't want to be cold while sleeping on it.
I was a little worried about that with just a sleeve on the pad to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
If you’re cold in July then you’re going to have issues later in the year (assuming Northern hemisphere). Try a pad with a higher R vale.
Yeah I'm in Colorado forgot that, was about 10300 feet this last weekend. So if it higher r value will the top stay warm?

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are your other sleeping bags rated for? Do you have a history of sleeping cold?

I have a big Agnes bag that doesn't have a bottom and it's by far my favorite. I use it with sleeping pass that range from 3.2 to 5. But I also sleep hot and it's a 15 degree bag. I'll give more infor after you answer those top questions.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
What are your other sleeping bags rated for? Do you have a history of sleeping cold?

I have a big Agnes bag that doesn't have a bottom and it's by far my favorite. I use it with sleeping pass that range from 3.2 to 5. But I also sleep hot and it's a 15 degree bag. I'll give more infor after you answer those top questions.

The same 30* degrees, I also sleep hot. I have never noticed the actually pad being cold before when I have had a full sleeping bag under me. I got hot while sleeping in this and had to unzip to get some cool air in. It was just the pad that felt cold on my side as I'm a side sleeper. I loved the sleeve being connected to the pad for sure.

I doubt you were wearing clothing inside the bag but that is a common mistake that will make you colder instead of warmer.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like you need a warmer pad to me. You could get a cheap closed cell foam pad and see if putting that under the current set up fixes your problem. If it does, invest in something with an r value over 5. Or, if money is not an issue, just get a warmer pad. For example, a Therm-a-rest Xtherm will give you an r value of 6.9 for about the same wieght.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
I doubt you were wearing clothing inside the bag but that is a common mistake that will make you colder instead of warmer.
I was wearing a thin base layer top and bottom. I took the top off half way through the night because I got to hot. It seemed like I needed to with just the sleeve under me. Maybe not though.

cnelk

WKR
I have a BA 0 degree bag and BA insulated core air mattress - I used to freeze my ass in that system until I cut a cheap blue foam camp pad to fit inside the sleeve of the bag - between me and the air pad.

This creates a thermal break between your body heat and the air mattress that sucks your body heat.

Never been cold since

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
The same 30* degrees, I also sleep hot. I have never noticed the actually pad being cold before when I have had a full sleeping bag under me. I got hot while sleeping in this and had to unzip to get some cool air in. It was just the pad that felt cold on my side as I'm a side sleeper. I loved the sleeve being connected to the pad for sure.

Copy. Sounds like you need not only a higher r value but possibly a thicker pad especially considering you are a side sleeper. But I'm not sure how thick the pas is you used in this scenario.

rayporter

WKR
I have a BA 0 degree bag and BA insulated core air mattress - I used to freeze my ass in that system until I cut a cheap blue foam camp pad to fit inside the sleeve of the bag - between me and the air pad.

This creates a thermal break between your body heat and the air mattress that sucks your body heat.

Never been cold since
listen up here ^^^^^^
i have been carrying a thin foam pad for years for this reason.

I am not sure how big Agnes rates the temp on their bags but most companies use a pad r value of 4 or higher to achieve that bag temp rating. Also not sure if that 30 degree bag is the comfort rating or extreme rating?

Assuming comfort rating it does not surprise me you were cold. Your pad is pretty low on r value and the bag was at the upper limit of temp rating to stay warm.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd get the Xtherm or try what cnelk suggested. I use my Xtherm with a 0 degree quilt and it's fine even laying directly on the pad. And I'm a cold sleeper.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
Dang it, I thought that was going to be high enough r value. The pad is 3.5" thick and feels great for side sleepers. I wasn't wanting to carry another component but it would be a good test for it. Or go with the x therm, not the cheapest but need to sleep good. Thanks for all the input!

BBob

WKR
I got rid of it but had the same issue with my BA pad. I did the same as posted above and used a 3/8" closed cell pad to add to it when the temps dipped. I have an XTherm now and it's good to lower temps so no foam pad unless it's really cold.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
What did BA have to say when you contacted them?
They got back with me today, said I needed a higher r value pad with the ba system with the sleeve. Guess I should have consulted with them first.

Bluumoon

WKR

Never been cold since
I froze my ass off in a BA zero degree bag last year in high teens temps, will have to try this trick. I had a foam pad under the insulated inflatable.

Bluumoon

WKR
I thought about adding down pants (in addition to my down jacket) to my setup, would it do any good to wear them inside the sleeping bag?

Doodle

FNG
I’m going to pile on and say “add a cheap blue foam pad” between you and the air pad. That or upgrade to a downmat and somehow make it work in the ba slot. R-value will not be denied…