Big agnes sleep system was cold

Doodle

FNG
I thought about adding down pants (in addition to my down jacket) to my setup, would it do any good to wear them inside the sleeping bag?
You’d be better off throwing in a hand warmer or a nalgene filled to the brim with hot water and sealed tight. Wearing clothes inside your bag can have the opposite of the intended effect….for certain individuals.

For me, a light base layer, socks, and a beanie will keep me warmer but if I start adding jackets or whatever I end up colder. Don’t underestimate the power of external heat though; those 59 cent hand warmers can superheat you inside a sleeping bag. So much so that I always keep one stashed with my emergency space blanket.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into the x therm large, there are not a lot in stock right now. I would like the regular wide if I could find that 1. Thanks for all the input though.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Looking into the x therm large, there are not a lot in stock right now. I would like the regular wide if I could find that 1. Thanks for all the input though.

The pad is going to help but I think your 30 bag is to low for 10000 feet. I would look towards a quality 0 degree comfort rated bag in the future or consider adding a sea to summit liner that will get you a few more degrees.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
The pad is going to help but I think your 30 bag is to low for 10000 feet. I would look towards a quality 0 degree comfort rated bag in the future or consider adding a sea to summit liner that will get you a few more degrees.

I have a north face furnace 0* that I haven't had to use much. I sleep hot with the exception of something is cold under me. And it's just too the touch of the mattress and the rest is hot. The liner isn't a bad idea to have though just in case.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
Who has used the klymit v ultralight sv pad? They have it listed at 4.4 but the astm value is 1.9. Just wondering as I was doing some research on pads if it was a 4.4 r value.

JNDEER

WKR
I love the BA system, that said understanding their true bag ratings compared to other expensive bags will help. Their bags and pads run cold- IMO.

I would first look at getting a pad with higher R value to the new rating standards, minimum of 5 or more.

a BA bag rated for 30 will keep you comfortable to about 40-45ish with a r value pad of 5 or so.

JRMiller

WKR
I just got the new big agnes sleep system with the anvil horn 30* bag and the q core slx sleeping pad. It was awesome not sliding off my pad during the night and I was perfectly warm in the bag. The problem I was having was that the side that was touching the pad was cold. I assume it was the air getting cold and making the top of the pad cold. It was about 40* during the night and I had a light baselayer, socks and beanie on. I was super warm and actually had to take off the upper base layer. It was cold on my side when I rolled over from side to side. And seemed like it took some time to warm up so it was comfortable. The pad is rated at 3.2 r value and a 3 season. I just had it this last weekend and not super cold yet.
Any suggestions on something to do or do I need a higher r value pad? I think it will be a little cooler in September and don't want to be cold while sleeping on it.
I was a little worried about that with just a sleeve on the pad to begin with.

Buying a pad with a higher R rating is the best way to go, but for a workaround you can take one of those $3 Mylar emergency blankets and put in between the pad and the ground, or if it’s really cold between your bag and the pad.
Been doing this for years when I have too.
Its noisy, but cheap, easy, and ultralight.
Another option is buying the Gossamer Gear ultralight mat (1/8”) and doing the same thing.
I think it was $20 or so when I bought mine last year.

bluumoon

WKR
Who has used the klymit v ultralight sv pad? They have it listed at 4.4 but the astm value is 1.9. Just wondering as I was doing some research on pads if it was a 4.4 r value.

I have the Klymit, actually a couple. The lighter weight orange one rated at 4.4 was the one I froze on last year with a foam pad underneath.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Klymit, actually a couple. The lighter weight orange one rated at 4.4 was the one I froze on last year with a foam pad underneath.
That's what I thought was confusing. There internal rating is 4.4 but the astm rating that most manufacturers are going by was only 1.9. Seems like a big gap.

That's what I thought was confusing. There internal rating is 4.4 but the astm rating that most manufacturers are going by was only 1.9. Seems like a big gap.

No different than some sleeping bag manufacturers that list the temperature ratings for their bags based upon T Lower Limit and not T Comfort. Depending on the bag, you may be in for a very rude awakening.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can do a foam pad, or you can quit messing around and just buy an appropriately rated sleeping pad and be done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use and enjoy BA sleep systems. Like mentioned, the cheapest fix would be to add an inexpensive iso mat/foam roll to it, or you could fork out the dough for a new pad with more r-value. Good luck!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I always carry a 1/2 length thermarest/ridgerest? closed cell foam pad for glassing, and also add it under my inflatable pad at night. Makes a world of difference.

SDHNTR

WKR
I just got the new big agnes sleep system with the anvil horn 30* bag and the q core slx sleeping pad. It was awesome not sliding off my pad during the night and I was perfectly warm in the bag. The problem I was having was that the side that was touching the pad was cold. I assume it was the air getting cold and making the top of the pad cold. It was about 40* during the night and I had a light baselayer, socks and beanie on. I was super warm and actually had to take off the upper base layer. It was cold on my side when I rolled over from side to side. And seemed like it took some time to warm up so it was comfortable. The pad is rated at 3.2 r value and a 3 season. I just had it this last weekend and not super cold yet.
Any suggestions on something to do or do I need a higher r value pad? I think it will be a little cooler in September and don't want to be cold while sleeping on it.
I was a little worried about that with just a sleeve on the pad to begin with.

I love the BA system but their ratings are WAY off. I sleep cold and need a lot more than their ratings. I’ve been cold in their 15 degree bags when it was 30 ish. When in doubt, go with the next bag warmer.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
I love the BA system but their ratings are WAY off. I sleep cold and need a lot more than their ratings. I’ve been cold in their 15 degree bags when it was 30 ish. When in doubt, go with the next bag warmer.
I got the thermarest x therm and it was the perfect addition. Temperatures were down to mid 30's and was perfectly toasty. I didn't use any layers and was fine. I did try a liner and it was almost too much, made me sweat a bit.