Big agnes sleep system was cold

Frequently repeated myth.

So I looked this up a little bit and I can almost see why people would believe it.. Basically if you bundle up so much that you're sweating buckets, you'll have excessive moisture buildup inside the bag and that does make you cold. But you'd need to be wearing a down jacket and down pants to get yourself sweating that bad and/or you're sleeping bag is rated for much lower than the temps you're using it in.

WKR
So I looked this up a little bit and I can almost see why people would believe it.. Basically if you bundle up so much that you're sweating buckets, you'll have excessive moisture buildup inside the bag and that does make you cold. But you'd need to be wearing a down jacket and down pants to get yourself sweating that bad and/or you're sleeping bag is rated for much lower than the temps you're using it in.
The other potential reason would be compression of the down from the inside, basically taking up too much volume inside the bag and compressing the loft.

But mostly, I've used the myth to get significant others naked in the tent...

So, while mostly a myth, it can certainly be useful.

Tequatche

FNG
Looking into the x therm large, there are not a lot in stock right now. I would like the regular wide if I could find that 1. Thanks for all the input though.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
That's what I use. Great pad, taken it down to just below zero.

Poser

WKR
Frequently repeated myth.

I feel like this is something that was permeated by the Boy Scouts for years and I am surprised by how often it is repeated as gospel. If sleeping layers made you cold, then layering underneath your down puffy would also make you cold. If you apply an ounce of logic to this, the idea that sleeping in clothes makes you colder, the notion instantly falls apart. If that’s not enough, the world’s best and most hardcore alpinists, mountaineers and artic explorers have been skimming on sleeping bag insulation for years and relying on their clothing layers to shave weight and you’d likely find the same is true for all experienced high altitude and cold weather adventurists, military and native peoples.

The other potential reason would be compression of the down from the inside, basically taking up too much volume inside the bag and compressing the loft.

This is the exact reason that some of the better quilts have a differential construction design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thermarest neoair xtherm max is perfect for the big Agnes bags. The reflective baffles in that thing are amazing, I can literally feel my body heat reflected back on me when I lay down on it. Lightest, smallest packing, warmest pad out there. Also, think about a vapor barrier liner (either bag liner or top/bottoms) to keep your bag dry. VBL’s add a good amount of warmth and let you regulate your temp a lot more effectively.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
The same 30* degrees, I also sleep hot. I have never noticed the actually pad being cold before when I have had a full sleeping bag under me. I got hot while sleeping in this and had to unzip to get some cool air in. It was just the pad that felt cold on my side as I'm a side sleeper. I loved the sleeve being connected to the pad for sure.

So is it a bottomless bag as the sleeping pad fits inside the sleeve? Or does the bag have a bottom and a sleeve?

I ask because I have the big agnes mystic 15 degree bag and it has a sleeve to put the pad in. The bag itself does not have any insulation on the bottom with the idea being that the pad inside the sleeve is enough. Is this like your bag?

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
So is it a bottomless bag as the sleeping pad fits inside the sleeve? Or does the bag have a bottom and a sleeve?

I ask because I have the big agnes mystic 15 degree bag and it has a sleeve to put the pad in. The bag itself does not have any insulation on the bottom with the idea being that the pad inside the sleeve is enough. Is this like your bag?

It has the sleeve built into the bottom of the bag and there is only the fabric between you and the pad. No insulation. It is the same as the mystic. The Thermarest pad was the trick. 15 days during September wasn't cold any night sleeping on that.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has the sleeve built into the bottom of the bag and there is only the fabric between you and the pad. No insulation. It is the same as the mystic. The Thermarest pad was the trick. 15 days during September wasn't cold any night sleeping on that.

Copy. If I'm understanding your issue correctly, I think I've had that happen to me also. Sometimes my pad will be cold to the touch especially if I am not laying on a portion of the pad and then move and start laying on that portion. I most notice this when the temps get really cold. I sleep on my back, so unlike a side sleeper, my heat is dispersed along the top of the pad to make more of the pad be warm. But what I did to mitigate feeling the cold pad is sleep with my clothes on and usually unless its really cold, I will just unzip the bag completely. In my experience when I move around and touch new portions of the pad my clothes will help it not feel as cold until my body heat warms it up and having the zipper unzipped allows me to regulate the overall temp in the bag really well.

Sizzle

FNG

How do you like the Mystic, I just ordered one and then found this thread... was planning on pairing with a klymit insulated static v, suppose to have 4.4 r value but I'm a bit nervous what it actually is

sneaky

"DADDY"
How do you like the Mystic, I just ordered one and then found this thread... was planning on pairing with a klymit insulated static v, suppose to have 4.4 r value but I'm a bit nervous what it actually is

It's not 4.4 after being tested

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are lots of other ways to add insulation value. Find a pad that has some insulation and you sleep well on. Then at some point if you get cold on it, simply add some things to mitigate that. That will get you much farther than finding a pad that has higher insulation but is uncomfortable to you because then you sleep like crap. Now, obviously you'll sleep like crap if you get cold, but that is why I'm discussing adding insulation. You can take a piece of roof insulation foil and add it to your sleep system. This will add minimal weight, but provide a reflective barrier to help bounce your own body heat back into your system.

SoYoCo

FNG
I literally just asked a similar question in a new thread. I bought a Big Agnes Park series bag and didn’t take into account how little insulation the bottom of the bag contains. I froze my buns off for a week in MT on a cot in my bag.

I’m a religious zealot against that pad now. Used it for a few years and thought I was just a cold wuss. Bought a xtherm and changed my life totally. Klymit oversells their R ratings.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m a religious zealot against that pad now. Used it for a few years and thought I was just a cold wuss. Bought a xtherm and changed my life totally. Klymit oversells their R ratings.

You guys need to go to the link I posted a couple of posts above and look at the new R value ratings. Klymits were never going to do well in the new testing methodology because of their baffle design. They are counting on your sleeping bag lofting into those voids for insulation value, the new test just measures heat loss. They are a poor choice for quilt users or BA bags with no bottom insulation. They're comfortable, but they aren't in the same class as other pads per the new testing methods.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Just to shime in here. The ones that have used BA systems, what is a good r-value one the pad? Any suggestions beside the bubble wrap X-therm?
I am looking at the new BA lost ranger system, seems interesting and could cover my needs for both early and late season.b

Gone4Days

WKR
OP, You mentioned you are a side sleeper… me too. I went with an Xtherm and 20° EE Enigma quilt and have been very happy with that setup. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
OP, You mentioned you are a side sleeper… me too. I went with an Xtherm and 20° EE Enigma quilt and have been very happy with that setup. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
Thank you for the tip. Never tried a quilt but been getting more and more interested in it. How cold would you say that setup holds up? I'm a pretty warm sleeper and usually settle on a baselayer of merino.
Usually where and when I usually hunt the temp ranges from 0-50 degrees at night.

Gone4Days

WKR
Thank you for the tip. Never tried a quilt but been getting more and more interested in it. How cold would you say that setup holds up? I'm a pretty warm sleeper and usually settle on a baselayer of merino.
Usually where and when I usually hunt the temp ranges from 0-50 degrees at night.
I believe a quality, warm pad is just as important as the quilt or bag (if not more important). I would recommend an Xtherm or Exped downmat. If your pad isn’t warm, you could have the warmest quilt or sleeping bag but you’ll still get cold. My quilt is a 20° with 850 fill (I live and hunt Arizona). The temp ratings on Enlightened Equipment quilts are pretty accurate. Make sure to get a quilt in “wide”. The beauty of quilts is you can buy them for lower temps, and on warmer nights you can more easily vent the heat. If you are getting down to 0° at night I would go with a 0° quilt. Maybe even have them overstuff it.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I believe a quality, warm pad is just as important as the quilt or bag (if not more important). I would recommend an Xtherm or Exped downmat. If your pad isn’t warm, you could have the warmest quilt or sleeping bag but you’ll still get cold. My quilt is a 20° with 850 fill (I live and hunt Arizona). The temp ratings on Enlightened Equipment quilts are pretty accurate. Make sure to get a quilt in “wide”. The beauty of quilts is you can buy them for lower temps, and on warmer nights you can more easily vent the heat. If you are getting down to 0° at night I would go with a 0° quilt. Maybe even have them overstuff it.
Thank you.

Yeah I have understood that about the pads, have a neoair right but think those are rated at 4.2.

Yeah it's a toss since the lost ranger basically is a part quilt as well and may be a little more versatile. I guess it all depends if their rating stays true. But all the quilt may end up saving money I I can get a 10 or 20 degree quilt to work I'm a wider variety of Temps.