Big bend backpacking

lmeyer

WKR
I'm planning a backpacking trip with a friend to go to big bend tx for about 4 days in the next few months. I've read that March it starts to get really busy there. We are trying to time the trip with a new moon because my friend likes to do ASTRO photography.
When would the best time to go?
Any cool areas to explore?
I've read mixed feelings about camping outside of designated camp areas because of safety concerns with traffickers. Is it a real concern ?

schmalzy

WKR
I'm planning a backpacking trip with a friend to go to big bend tx for about 4 days in the next few months. I've read that March it starts to get really busy there. We are trying to time the trip with a new moon because my friend likes to do ASTRO photography.
When would the best time to go?
Any cool areas to explore?
I've read mixed feelings about camping outside of designated camp areas because of safety concerns with traffickers. Is it a real concern ?

Never been to Big Bend but have camped/hunted not too far from there. Definitely some activity in the region. Wouldn’t stop me from going, but I’d definitely carry, have an inreach, and be constantly aware of surroundings. Keep your eyes our for tracks and trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Two good hikes from Chisos Basin are The Window and The South Rim. The Window is a couple of hours, round trip. The South Rim is a day hike. Both are quite scenic.

Consider staying in Marathon at the Gage Hotel. At least a couple nights. You will have a bit of a drive to the park, but the Gage is historic. Look it up to see if you think you might like it.

Last edited:

danarnold

WKR
I was in that area in February, serious amount of border patrol, look at big Bend sector border patrol on FB, daily apprehension of large groups. We showed up without a reservation for our small RV and there was no place to camp, the scamdenic had the campgrounds at half capacity. I won’t be back there

Was there in June for a wedding. Terlingua is a sh!t hole. The area wasn’t as pretty as I thought it would be. I did not camp or hike. The stars were unreal though.

Just did a 2-nighter there over the 4th of July weekend. PM me for deets. I did some astrophotography while up there. It was great. Made a 18 mi. loop to the south rim, solo. Never saw another tent but there were quite a few hikers.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 13

schmalzy

WKR
I was in that area in February, serious amount of border patrol, look at big Bend sector border patrol on FB, daily apprehension of large groups. We showed up without a reservation for our small RV and there was no place to camp, the scamdenic had the campgrounds at half capacity. I won’t be back there

I bumped into a group of 20 or so. Pretty sure they were in the transportation side of the biz and not looking for a better life.

Canyons/creek beds had the most use/sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk