Big Bill Merino Pants

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've been seeing ads for these pants, the look very similar to old school army wool pants or similar. I know they are not high tech latest and greatest, but in late season snow and cold, its pretty hard to beat a good old fashioned wool pant. Just wondering if anyone has these and what is your opinion of them? Mainly, how "dense" is the fabric? and how well are they made? I had some of that Gallatin wool by Columbia, and thought it was actually pretty useless because the weave of the wool was so loose or not dense, that wind and cold just seemed to cut right through it.

I have a pair of the big bill wool pants, they are fine for the price. I wore mine thin in the crotch after 4 years and many miles in them. I had the 18oz version and they were plenty warm. Wore them into the single digits predator calling and ice fishing may times with a pair of Filson long underwear. As for wind blocking, its not there. I haven't ever owned any wool that isn't lined that blocks the wind. Even the Filson stuff i have the wind will cut through if its strong enough.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thanks. I understand wool isnt going to be windproof, but I was just hoping the weave on these was denser than something like the Columbia Gallatin wool