Big bobcat

TheGDog

WKR
This was my "consolation prize" on last day of deer season 2019. Just recently finally got the call back from the Taxidermist to come pick him up. No where near your guys 30+Lbs ones though. Damn.. those are some big ol cats!
136044480_404963907263386_5981996747675452173_o.jpg
20191110_144045 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: Rat

Rat

FNG
I had to let this guy go a few years back, season wasn't open for Cats yet.

1611972164232.png

This was my biggest 45 lbs. here in Michigan they do not get the defined spots like they do out west.
1611972528087.png

Caught our biggest bobcat ever last weekend. Trail set that had been blown up by a badger we caught earlier.
Big pot belly on him and the spouse checked out the contents, a raccoon.
He weighed 39 lbs and stretches 47 inches. Not sure on the belly grade but we'll keep and tan it if he doesn't bring a good price.

Lets see those big bobcats and some lynx too, Moose83 started us out right with his pic.

View attachment 249332

View attachment 249333

View attachment 249335
That’s awesome!
I tried for fisher and bobcat pretty extensively here in vt. I used cubby sets with a hunk of beaver meat in the back. All I ended up with was a squirrel, though. Our cat season is so short! Dec 1-Dec 16. I’d like to try some footholds this coming season, but I don’t know how I’d turn out considering I’m a beginner trapper.
How much would you estimate he’s worth? It’s too bad how badly fur prices have plummeted. We’re gonna make some beaver mits this summer with what we caught this winter.
Congrats on a great cat, though!!

TheGDog

WKR
So what's the technique for letting one go from a Trap? Do you use one of those neck nooses like Animal Control does or... what?

TheGDog

WKR
Not knowing about leg-hold traps... just sitting here thinking about your scenario of needing to let one go... can you open one of those traps without needing two hands?? Was thinking how the heck to you maintain the animal control noose thru the stick on him... while you then fuss with trying to let him go. All without getting hurt?

My guess was that for the control stick... after looping the neck there's possible a way to lock the rope down? Then, what, ya just tuck the pole under an arm to keep it holding him at distance? Then you could use the two hands?

Laramie

WKR
Not knowing about leg-hold traps... just sitting here thinking about your scenario of needing to let one go... can you open one of those traps without needing two hands?? Was thinking how the heck to you maintain the animal control noose thru the stick on him... while you then fuss with trying to let him go. All without getting hurt?

My guess was that for the control stick... after looping the neck there's possible a way to lock the rope down? Then, what, ya just tuck the pole under an arm to keep it holding him at distance? Then you could use the two hands?
There are good YouTube videos showing the release process. Here is one of them-

Last edited:

Rat

FNG

It was pretty wild, took several attempts, the whole time my wife was taking pictures from the truck window, she wasn't getting out to help me. After I got the loop around his neck I pinned him to the ground and was able to step on the two springs with my feet.

mcr-85

WKR

He already answered you but you use your feet and step on the levers or if you have a locking catch pole your can stand on the pole and use your hands. You gotta be pretty quick about it. Cats choke out really fast. Some people use a piece of plywood with a notch in the bottom for the leg with the trap, and use it as a shield.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
He already answered you but you use your feet and step on the levers or if you have a locking catch pole your can stand on the pole and use your hands. You gotta be pretty quick about it. Cats choke out really fast. Some people use a piece of plywood with a notch in the bottom for the leg with the trap, and use it as a shield.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Yeah, yeah... was noticing the shield concept on some of the other vids Youtube was offering up in the recommends. Seems like that would be more wise if possible.

OP
wytx

wytx

WKR
That’s awesome!
I tried for fisher and bobcat pretty extensively here in vt. I used cubby sets with a hunk of beaver meat in the back. All I ended up with was a squirrel, though. Our cat season is so short! Dec 1-Dec 16. I’d like to try some footholds this coming season, but I don’t know how I’d turn out considering I’m a beginner trapper.
How much would you estimate he’s worth? It’s too bad how badly fur prices have plummeted. We’re gonna make some beaver mits this summer with what we caught this winter.
Congrats on a great cat, though!!
The big tom brought $250, sad.

Arizona cat.

Attachments

• BADE8EA8-233F-4B57-9497-33B7E3AF9700.jpeg
    BADE8EA8-233F-4B57-9497-33B7E3AF9700.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 24
  • EDCEA44A-F210-4F98-9DE8-D7EB3A8A6DCB.jpeg
    EDCEA44A-F210-4F98-9DE8-D7EB3A8A6DCB.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Rat
I agree, it's hard to find good cat taxidermists. I shopped for a long time until I found Todd. He is a world champion... and you do pay for that. My cat was a custom form that I had him create. I had the pose and posture in mind and Todd was able to do it exactly how I wanted.
Was thinking the same. Cat/predator guys are hard to come by.