Big buck hunting middle of October

Let's hear it fellas. Anybody lucky enough or skilled to kill a big buck the hardest time of year to do so?? How did it go down??

Not B&C bucks but nice sized bucks actually 2 of them second week in Oct. 2021 in the bunch I hunt with. There out there just have to find them. In position well before daylight, will be there this year also, but first week in Wyoming.

OP
T
Not B&C bucks but nice sized bucks actually 2 of them second week in Oct. 2021 in the bunch I hunt with. There out there just have to find them. In position well before daylight, will be there this year also, but first week in Wyoming.
Nice. I usually just go to the same places set up before daylight and glass until I find one I want to shoot. If I don't find one in one area I just move to the next until it happens. Not monster bucks but decent. No pre season scouting at all... I'm thinking of trying to find one before season and pattern him I guess that's how you should do it just never tried. do this with any success??

I live far from the area we hunt so there is no time for a scouting expedition, we are fortunate that the ranch we hunt is a private ranch that sees lite hunting pressure. Have had great hunting the times we hunted there, very familiar with the area though,but in saying that I spoke to the rancher and was told they are there just not like in years past, this was expected with the weather and CWD the last few years, we go every other year, will just wait and see what happens this October. Good luck on your hunt.

wytx

WKR
If it opens Oct 15 wait til last week in Oct if you can.
Otherwise the mature bucks will be by themselves Oct 15 or so until pre rut last week in Oct.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Got my biggest mule deer October 14. He was still with his bachelor group of 8 other bucks that he had been with all summer. Knew where they bedded and we got really high winds (40-50 mph) and was able to sneak in super close for a shot with the bow. They are out there just need conditions to be right and take advantage of the opportunity when it presents itself

270Hunter

FNG
When I’ve hunted the desert and scouted a lot in the summer I’ve learned that the big bucks will be in relatively the same area that I found them in the summer. Usually they stay in the cover a lot more and aren’t as active but they are in there. Being in position to get a shot when they are active first thing in the morning or right at dark is important. Also another thing I’ve learned is that sometimes you have to go into the cover with them, if they don’t want to leave the thick country the only way to potentially get a shot is to go into their living room. If you know a big buck is around don’t leave the area or give up just keep after him!

When I’ve hunted the desert and scouted a lot in the summer I’ve learned that the big bucks will be in relatively the same area that I found them in the summer. Usually they stay in the cover a lot more and aren’t as active but they are in there. Being in position to get a shot when they are active first thing in the morning or right at dark is important. Also another thing I’ve learned is that sometimes you have to go into the cover with them, if they don’t want to leave the thick country the only way to potentially get a shot is to go into their living room. If you know a big buck is around don’t leave the area or give up just keep after him!

Bingo. I’ll poke around the edges of the timber hoping to catch one out of his bedroom until I get a day with very high winds or solid steady rain; then it’s into the timber we go with my finger near the trigger and moving at the speed of a sloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
All good info guys my hunt in idaho opens October 10th and goes to the 31st my schedule won't allow me to hunt the last week when the hunting would probably be the best. I'm going to make the best of it and hunt that first week.

270Hunter

FNG
All good info guys my hunt in idaho opens October 10th and goes to the 31st my schedule won't allow me to hunt the last week when the hunting would probably be the best. I'm going to make the best of it and hunt that first week.
Best of luck, I’ve killed my biggest buck in October even though I’ve had a few November tags. One last thing all bucks are different as to when they will split off from the bachelor herds so if you have a buck scouted out and he’s living in a bachelor herd and then in October you find the bachelor herd but not the right buck, just keep hunting that area because more than likely he’s right in there, just living alone. I killed a 4x3 in the desert a couple years ago that way, I found him about 3/4 mile away from the bachelor herd he spent all summer with.

Wags

WKR
If you can find the things they need in 1 close area that's a spot to spend time in. Thick cover, water & feed. Bucks are typically very nocturnal at that time and hard to pattern. Unfortunately that's when my season is and it's a grind to find mature bucks at times.

OP
T
Worst time to hunt is November? Middle of October they might be rutting? Or they might still be grouped up? And the .5% is the couple of guys that put in the work before season or the ones that just get lucky? I think I got that right? Still confused how November is the worst time to hunt..

My brother shot a family record setting buck last year on October 7th. I had scouted that set of ridges the previous spring/summer and found a bachelor group of bucks consistently feeding down a small saddle in the mornings. Opening morning we ended up spooking the group of bucks if I recall 2 forks, 1 3pt, and 1 4pt. we saw the 2 smaller bucks throughout the week and even had a chance to take the 3pt but did not, in hopes of finding the 4pt. But it seemed he knew the game and he was better than us obviously. after going home to catch up on work we were back in the mountains the following week. we stopped that morning in the dark on a little perch to wait and see what the sun revealed. Sure as heck the 4pt was standing in the middle of the saddle (not with his buck friends but 2 does this time) and was already starring our direction as he had sensed us. but it was too late BOOM.

I came away learning that if deer have all they need in an area, they do not have to move far summer through winter. And with a few days of not hunting an area, I believe that buck felt comfortable enough to come back to his favorite spot. just like we did! Also a big buck will not follow his friends and might even abandon them for good when s*** hits the fan! haha