Big bucks gonna ruin my trad quest

Been shooting traditional extensively for 3 years now. Last year was the first year I hunted traditional exclusively. Made a good shot on a nice young 4-4, but he had a different plan…ducked and spun just enough for me to clip the edge of the shoulder blade, anterior side of the lungs…didn’t recover him. Got the yips and looked a little quick and pulled one right over another’s back at 12 yards… no traditional deer down get.

Now I got a stud 8 running around my best spot, which offers sub 15 yard shots in some thick cover, so I passed up a 20 yard shot on a nice, albeit young 5-5 Friday (probably super dumb because he woulda been an awesome first trad kill). But I love hunting and don’t mind a few lore days in the field, especially with the best days yet to come.

I am going to hate it if he walks out broadside at 35 yards lol, but I’m “sticking”to it. yes pun intended 2FD5947D-415D-4079-BF82-F601B358D031.jpeg
Good luck out there this fall all!

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck and stick to it!

And yes, I’ve shot over a pope and young coues deer’s back at 15 yards. Would have been a gimme all day with a wheel bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting traditional extensively for 3 years now. Last year was the first year I hunted traditional exclusively. Made a good shot on a nice young 4-4, but he had a different plan…ducked and spun just enough for me to clip the edge of the shoulder blade, anterior side of the lungs…didn’t recover him. Got the yips and looked a little quick and pulled one right over another’s back at 12 yards… no traditional deer down get.

Now I got a stud 8 running around my best spot, which offers sub 15 yard shots in some thick cover, so I passed up a 20 yard shot on a nice, albeit young 5-5 Friday (probably super dumb because he woulda been an awesome first trad kill). But I love hunting and don’t mind a few lore days in the field, especially with the best days yet to come.

I am going to hate it if he walks out broadside at 35 yards lol, but I’m “sticking”to it. yes pun intended View attachment 337594
Good luck out there this fall all!

Man I hear you. I've had a few booners that would have been a chip shot with a compound but couldn't make it happen with a trad bow.

It's frustrating watching them walk away but I know one of these days the stars will align and it will happen. Stick with it buddy.

Rick653

FNG
Stick to it! I told myself that I was going to shoot the first deer I had a chance at this year, and I did. If you're allowed more than one tag you should smack a doe. Build that confidence up

Kentucky

WKR
That is a stud. I hope you get a decent shot… I’ve been itching to shoot a doe but have only had shots on little bucks…I’m getting bloodthirsty..going this evening, if it has ears it’s a shooter.

Ha! I recall a friend who had good success with his recurve for a few years. One day he had a really big buck at 30 yards and held off shooting. Saw it again and couldn't get it close. So he dug out the compound and was shooting 6" groups at 30 yards in no time. Rattled an even bigger buck into a scrape at 15 yards...pissing, pawing and making a real display. He proceeded to fly an arrow directly over the buck's back at short range and watched in disgust as the buck trotted away. This all came directly from my friend who told me straight up he would've dead-shot the buck with his recurve....and from that day on the compound never saw the woods again.

Point being....it isn't always easier with a compound or harder with a stickbow. You can talk yourself into thinking whatever you like. Shoot the bow you love today. Your old compound is like an old girlfriend. You split up for a reason, and that reason is why you chose a more traditional path.