Big comfy pad time...

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Or, maybe just not as smart.:) I may reconsider once i get my new bag and shelter, then put all my gear in the bag and see how much it weighs. I just don't want to be cold or uncomfortable at night. Years ago, some friends and i went backcountry camping 10 miles out, in steep nasty terrain. we had to cross a rather wide creek before climbing up to the top of the mountain. One of my buddies did not have a spare set of shoes so i offered to take his pack across so he could cross barefoot to keep his shoes dry.Man was his pack heavy. Later when we got to camp i found out why, he had a twelve back of canned beer and all his food was canned stuff. His pack had to weigh 80+ pounds and i'm not sure how he made it up there to this day.:confused:

slim9300

WKR
Or, maybe just not as smart.:) I may reconsider once i get my new bag and shelter, then put all my gear in the bag and see how much it weighs. I just don't want to be cold or uncomfortable at night. Years ago, some friends and i went backcountry camping 10 miles out, in steep nasty terrain. we had to cross a rather wide creek before climbing up to the top of the mountain. One of my buddies did not have a spare set of shoes so i offered to take his pack across so he could cross barefoot to keep his shoes dry.Man was his pack heavy. Later when we got to camp i found out why, he had a twelve back of canned beer and all his food was canned stuff. His pack had to weigh 80+ pounds and i'm not sure how he made it up there to this day.:confused:

You make me want to give you a good deal on my unopened spare Exped DownMat 9 Pump DLX. 77.5" long by 26" wide by 3.5" thick. And with an R-value of 8.0, there's no "packable" sleeping pad on the planet warmer. At 45 ounces you would be saving some significant space and weight in your pack (amazingly). ;)

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
How well do these inflatable pads hold their shape when you are laying on them? Do they tend to sag in the middle like an air matress does or do they stay relatively flat? Also, how well do they hold up, i am concerned that they could lose air overnight resulting in a mushy (sag in the middle) mat, or is that a non issue?

I never have a problem with sagging in the middle. I generally have to let some air out so the pad is softer.
You should not experience any air loss if you blow it up right before sleeping time in really cold weather. I generally blow it up once I get to where I am going, then give it a breath right before bed to get it where I want it.

Wrongside

WKR
How well do these inflatable pads hold their shape when you are laying on them? Do they tend to sag in the middle like an air matress does or do they stay relatively flat? Also, how well do they hold up, i am concerned that they could lose air overnight resulting in a mushy (sag in the middle) mat, or is that a non issue?

No issues with that and the Exped mats. I actually find them easy to 'over-inflate' and more comfortable if left softer. That's just a personal comfort thing though.

slim9300's Downmat9 would be pretty unbeatable for comfort, IMO/E, as long as weight isn't a factor. In your case, I guess you'd actually stand to save some weight...:)

Beastmode

WKR
I love my DM UL 7. Great pad a little on the heavy side but not 4 lbs!! Wow! Thats heavy. You could stack 2 DMs on top of eachother and still be lighter.

Never had any problems with sagging in the middle or loosing air.

slim9300

WKR

Ideally you want a 3.5" thick pad about 80-90% blown up if you are side sleeper. This gives you lots of cushion, but easily keeps you off the ground by about 2.5-3" (this is important for staying warm and still retaining R-value). Of course you can blow it up 100%, and it will stay very firm. The pad comes with a 5 year warranty so if there is ever a problem Exped WILL take care of you.

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Ideally you want a 3.5" thick pad about 80-90% blown up if you are side sleeper. This gives you lots of cushion, but easily keeps you off the ground by about 2.5-3" (this is important for staying warm and still retaining R-value). Of course you can blow it up 100%, and it will stay very firm. The pad comes with a 5 year warranty so if there is ever a problem Exped WILL take care of you.

I concur on the 3.5". My downmat 9 fits the bill nicely. Heavy, but warm and comfy. Got the Synmat UL7 this year to cut weight, but won't use again when it gets cold. Used it on a late season with temps getting to near 0 F.....was wishing I had the downmat 9. Both great pads, will use the 7 this summer for sure, but the 9 for later season, and it does sleep better with the extra thickness.

slim9300

WKR
I concur on the 3.5". My downmat 9 fits the bill nicely. Heavy, but warm and comfy. Got the Synmat UL7 this year to cut weight, but won't use again when it gets cold. Used it on a late season with temps getting to near 0 F.....was wishing I had the downmat 9. Both great pads, will use the 7 this summer for sure, but the 9 for later season, and it does sleep better with the extra thickness.

An R-value swing from 3.0 to 8.0 is like going from a 30 degree rating to a -30 degree rating. As you noticed there is a big difference.

crumy

WKR
I bought the q-core but have not taken it into the field yet. I have slept on it in the wilderness of my living room. It was great. comfortable, no sagging.