Big comfy pad time...

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
It is time for me to get a big comfy pad(but still packable) for certain hunts. I have a few light weight pads in the arsenal and have used a pile of different pads over the years but the technology has come quite a ways over the past few years and it is time to add another to the gear room. Here is what I have narrowed it down to from reading other threads at Rokslide and doing a bit of searching:

Exped Synmat UL7
-long/wide 77.5"x26"
-3.1 R value
-2.8" thick
-21.1 oz's

Exped Downmat UL7
-long/wide 77.5"x26"
-5.9 R value
-2.8" thick
-26.5 oz's

Big Agnes Q-core SL(thanks to slim9300 for pointing this one out)
-78"x25"
-4.5 R value
-3.5" thick
-23 oz's

I am thinking one of the last two listed but not sure yet. Is there any others I should be looking at? What would you choose and why?

Sorry for starting another sleeping pad thread but reading through the others was getting a bit confusing and I wanted to keep it more specific to my needs at this time.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i'm curious to hear how the q core sl performs. 3.5 in thickness at only 23 ounces makes me wonder how durable it can be but time will tell. it is a little pricey. if price is a concern you can't go wrong with a insulated/uninsulated air core. you can find those cheap. I picked up my insulated version in long for 40 bones. i'm not sure about expeds warrenty but big agnes' is really good. good luck decided. there seams to be a lot of good options anymore.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I had a downmat 7 for quite some time before i switched to a hammock system. It was by far my favorite pad. That would be my choice out of the pads you listed. Its been on the market for a long time and has a long running good reputation in the field from backpackers. I have tried a synmat 7 also, and if you don't need as much R value, and or are concerned more with weight it would be a good option as well.

Wrongside

WKR
I don't have any experience with the newer Exped ULs, but give my totally positive, long term experiences with the standard Downmat7, I'd stick with Exped. Probably the Downmat UL7 for the add R-value, since you already have some lighter, earlier season options.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Mckinnon

WKR
I have the original Q-core and love it. Ya its relatively heavy but it is worth it for me, I wouldn't trade it out except to try the new q core.

slim9300

WKR
I will tell you. I am a huge supporter of Exped and they have taken care of me and my dad on two occasions. Both times their customer service far exceeded my expectations. They are a GREAT company.

With that said, I called them a few weeks back and talked to one of their product development guys about adding a long / standard width SynMat and DownMat UL7 pads. They said nothing would be coming out in the next year.

I plan on keeping my SynMat Medium UL7 and my DownMat 9 DLX but I just sold my LW UL7 on here for one reason. I plan on buying the new Q-Core SL (20"x78"x3.5") in the next week. If you can wait I will tell you what I think about it compared to my Expeds.

I laid on the standard Q-core last weekend at REI. It was amazingly comfortable and reminds me of my DM 9 DLX but much lighter. It's a side sleepers dream when inflated about 80%. The other nice thing about the Q-core is that it's much quieter than the already pretty quiet UL7 (compared to the brutally noisy NeoAir line of pads). In not sure if the same can be said about the Q-core SL but we will see.

Last edited:
OP
crazy_davey

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on keeping my SynMat Medium UL7 and my DownMat 9 DLX but I just sold my LW UL7 on here for one reason. I plan on buying the new Q-Core SL (20"x78"x3.5") in the next week. If you can wait I will tell you what I think about it compared to my Expeds.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on it when you get it, looking forward to it!

6x6

FNG
I must be misinformed. Does the Q core sl really come in 25" width? I thought they were all 20". Please tell me I'm wrong.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
You (and everyone else) will probably think i am a complete goofball for recomending this one but it does fit the big comfy pad (and heavy)category. I have a kelty basecamp pad i got last year for family camp trips and i must say i have never slept better on a camping trip. (My wife also agrees) I know most would not consider it packable at 4lb 8oz but i am seriously considering taking it on my backcountry hunt this year.:eek:

OP
crazy_davey

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
at 4lb 8oz but i am seriously considering taking it on my backcountry hunt this year.:eek:

shock.jpg

That is a tad heavy for a pad for this fella :D