Big Guys, what pack?

BigShane54

Lil-Rokslider
I posted a thread on here a couple weeks ago about the Badlands 4500. After a couple test hikes, Ive decided that its not the pack for me. The reviews some of you gave me were dead on, no matter how I distributed the weight or adjusted the straps, it was never comfortable and the straps were constantly digging in to my shoulders and chest.
I got some good suggestions on the other thread about some other packs that I will definitely look into.
But, heres my question, I am 6'2", 240lbs with very broad shoulders, are there any other big guys that have suggestions for a pack that fits bigger guys well? I know this is something thats different for everybody, but just trying to get some ideas. I will be using the pack to pack in a few miles to hunt for 8-10 days. Thanks

Shrek

WKR
I took my handle from how I'm built. The bikini almost worked for me and I'm 6'4" and 278lbs. I'm positive that they both will fit you. I have a freakishly long torso and I ran out of lift. Aron said the only other guy who needed as long of stays was 7' tall if it gives you an idea.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
The belt is dependent on your waist size. I'm close to bottoming out a large belt. If you are all chest you may very well need a medium. If I loose much more I will need a medium and be proud to buy it too.

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6-3" and 225 and although I only have had it for a short time the bikini seems great on me . I just did a 4 miles yesterday with 60 lbs and no complaints

Bighorse

WKR
Leave ultralight to those that need it. Get a Barneys frame and bag. Climb mountains, shoot animals, eat BBQ.

2ski

WKR
Don't fight it....go with Kifaru. I first started looking at other packs, and everyone here got me convinced to go Kifaru. I had the first chance to get out this weekend with my Duplex with just a grab it since I'm waiting for my T2 bag now. All I had was 32 lbs in it, but it felt like nothing. I can't wait for the bag to get here, hopefully it won't be too long. I ordered it about two weeks ago but haven't received an email yet estimating the ship date.

Kifaru.

Kifaru packs have a great reputation which is well deserved. As another option, since being able to try on a pack can be crucial for a situation like yours, you might want to think about KUIU's packs. KUIU is just a two hour drive NE of you in Dixon, CA. You might want to consider taking a ride up there one day during the week to try on their pack line. They have packs in 7200 ci, 5200 ci, and 1850 ci, which all fit onto their carbon fiber ICON frame. Here is a link to their packs page...https://store.kuiu.com/categories/packs/.

Hope this helps,

Larry Schwartz

Kotaman

WKR
Kifaru for sure...I am 6'2 - 230 and I have found NOTHING that fits and feels like my Kifaru T2. I liked the Bikini, but not as much as my T2. Go Kifaru and don't look back.

shaun

WKR
I posted a thread on here a couple weeks ago about the Badlands 4500. After a couple test hikes, Ive decided that its not the pack for me. The reviews some of you gave me were dead on, no matter how I distributed the weight or adjusted the straps, it was never comfortable and the straps were constantly digging in to my shoulders and chest.
I got some good suggestions on the other thread about some other packs that I will definitely look into.
But, heres my question, I am 6'2", 240lbs with very broad shoulders, are there any other big guys that have suggestions for a pack that fits bigger guys well? I know this is something thats different for everybody, but just trying to get some ideas. I will be using the pack to pack in a few miles to hunt for 8-10 days. Thanks

Shane, I am out of Fresno and have a Bikini frame and bag if you want to try it out. I am 5'11 and 230 so fit shouldn't be too off from what you would order. Best money ive spent coming from the same issues with a badlands

littlebuf

Banned
were almost the exact same size. im 6'5" 250 broad shoulders. nothing has ever fit me better than the Timberline 1

Shrek

WKR
The Icon is in its third redesign and they may have it dialed in. The bag is top quality foreign manurfactur from asia. Japanese fabric put together by the best Chinese and Vietnamese workers. I'm not a fan. Why buy a lessor design pack made over seas when you can get the best made right here in the USA. Kifaru , Stone Glacier , Nimrod , Horn Hunter Full Curl , Misery Ranch. All made in the USA . There are top quality USA options. I have plenty of foreign made goods but when quality American made products are available I do my best to support them.

The Icon is in its third redesign and they may have it dialed in. The bag is top quality foreign manurfactur from asia. Japanese fabric put together by the best Chinese and Vietnamese workers. I'm not a fan. Why buy a lessor design pack made over seas when you can get the best made right here in the USA. Kifaru , Stone Glacier , Nimrod , Horn Hunter Full Curl , Misery Ranch. All made in the USA . There are top quality USA options. I have plenty of foreign made goods but when quality American made products are available I do my best to support them.
Misery Ranch sums up my experience with them and the NICE garbage. May be fine for peewees but don't work for men.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Packs for big guys, where to start.

I am 6'5" and have used quite a few packs. My waist sits somewhere between 34 and 36 depending on how seriously I take my diet.

I have shoulder lift out of Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and even the MR Metcalf. There is plenty of lifter angle on all of them for me, and the weight of a heavy pack sits on the hips where it should.

If you are a lumbar pad fan, get the Kifaru. If the full wrap belt works for you Mystery Ranch is the way to go. Stone Glacier is kind of a middle-ground between the two.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'1" 265 broad shoulders I have a Kifaru BT1 it fits great. I did get a large belt but am almost out of adjustment and as I am working hard to get ready for elk season I ordered a medium one. It fits much better than anything else I've tried. Try not to think of it as paying $400 more for a pack, but rather $20 more per trip for a huge comfort upgrade. It makes more sense to me that way, as they say ultimate long term value.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
6'4" with 20.5" Torso. I have successfully and comfortably used a 2011 KUIU with 6000 bag and Badlands 2200 with 50+ pounds. I have a 2012 KUIU frame now but never loaded it. The shoulder padding on the 2012 model is noticeably better.

DIY

WKR
6'4'' 200 lbs. long torso Kifaru Bikini with highcamp camp bag.. Best combo Ive found yet and fits like a glove. I had duplex frame in past