Big hats (8"+)

Adrien

FNG
Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has a line on big(seriously big) hats in technical materials, preferably camo.

I got a big head (64cm helmets and 8" fitted hat size) and I seriously struggle finding anything but one off overpriced cotton real tree caps. One size fits most are always too small even at the last hole.

Thanks in advance

fatbacks

WKR
I was about to start a thread on this. So far the only hat I’ve been able to find that fits well and is technical material is the North Face Horizon hat in XL - now it’s my go to hat for sheep hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Cosign the North Face Horizon. I'm a 7 7/8 hat size and it's one of the few hats that actually fits my head. There's definitely enough room in there for someone with a size 8 head also.

If you need a blaze orange hat, I can recommend this: https://www.bigheadcaps.com/bigsizeblazeorangeadjustablecap I picked one up about a month ago and wore it around Wyoming hunting antelope. It was in the mid-80's and I didn't overheat in it.

I have a fat head

+1 for the north face horizon. I bought 6 of them to have extras.

my best fitting hunting caps are custom made.

FWIW I have trouble with many big name warm hats too. My favorite cold weather hats are carhartt beanies.

OP
A

Adrien

FNG
I have a fat head

+1 for the north face horizon. I bought 6 of them to have extras.

my best fitting hunting caps are custom made.

FWIW I have trouble with many big name warm hats too. My favorite cold weather hats are carhartt beanies.

Custom made? Any specifics?

Custom made? Any specifics?
I bought a few years ago from a guy named Dave Svangel on a website called lightfighter.net

bought several from a shop called viperheadwear also.

unfortunately, both have gone out of business as far as I know.

now when I find one that works I Buy several.

I'm about 7 5/8 for hat size. I also bought a bunch of the XL North Face Horizon hats and fit is excellent.
I find Sitka ball caps in camo fit me OK, but I haven't bought any in quite a few years.
The Carhartt Acrylic watch caps are hit and miss as far as sizes go for me. I bought a bunch of the Made In Canada MEC Parkhurst Merino Wool Beanie for winter and they fit me really well.

JohnB

WKR
7 3/4 and the Sitka ball cap barely fits me. Thanks for the other advice!

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I have probably and 8 1/4 head and generally, caps don't fit me. I wanted a Rokslide cap cut I know the Richardson 112 doesn't fit me. (that's a popular hat, though!)

I get my caps at www.bigheadcaps.com embarassingly, but it was sure nice to find something. I tend to but their 3x and 4x hats. They are even almost loose on my head.

They have a few camo options.

I'd like to get some logos printed on them but I think the setup cost at a local embroidery place for a single hat makes it silly.

fatbacks

WKR
Bumping this up… any new finds for those of use with large melons?

Also note, the North Face Horizon hat in XL went away…. Now one Size fits all. RIP!

Last edited:

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Bumping this up… any new finds for those of use with large melons?
Glad to know I’m not alone. Finding a hat that fits is like treasure hunting. The Sitka hat that is made out of the stretchy material fits at the very end of the Velcro adjustment. It’s close but a comfortable hat if you can make it work.

Good stuff, I had a fitted ball cap that was an 8. It didn't fit very good. The salesman at the time said that was as big as he could get it. If it's cold out and I'm sitting I have a King of the Mountain hat that fits. It's the hat that can flip inside out and be orange or camo. Also has pull down flaps for over your ears.

FLATHEAD

WKR
When I played HS Football I had to buy my own helmet.
They didnt have any that would even go on my head, much
less fit.
Thought i was the only one.

ZDR

WKR
size 7 7/8 here and I can wear the OR sombrolet(?) but not the seattle sombrero as it is super tight...
I've work the sun hat so much that its stretched to a perfect fit.