Big horn scenic drive?

After I hunt Gillette on Oct 1st... Can someone recommend a scenic drive through Big Horn? In my rental car.. so no off roading, or dirt. Must be passable 1st week of Oct.

Looks like beautiful country side, especially when you come from the liberal sinkhole of NY.

jolemons

WKR
Depends on where you're returning to. I like hwy 16 to tensleep or hwy 14 to shell.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You have a few options with a rental car. (All these routes are paved highways.)

You could take Highway 16 from Buffalo to Tensleep and then continue on to Worland and go north to Greybull and then take Highway 14 to Burgess Junction and on down to Datyton and Ranchester. Then get on I90 and return to Buffalo.

Or, at Tensleep you could take the Lower Nowood Road (on the west edge of Tensleep) north to Highway 31 and then on to Manderson where you could get on Highway 20 and go to Greybull.

Or, at Greybull rather than taking Highway 14 to Burgess Junction you could continue on through Greybull a couple miles and then take Highway 310 north to Lovell and then take Highway Alternate 14 to Burgess Junction.

These loops would take most of a day.

Enjoy the trip if you decide to go.

ClearCreek

Dcoryn

FNG
You could take Highway 16 from Buffalo to Tensleep and then continue on to Worland and go north to Greybull and then take Highway 14 to Burgess Junction and on down to Datyton and Ranchester. Then get on I90 and return to Buffalo.

ClearCreek

This ^^^^^ is what I normally suggest to people when they are looking for a scenic drive from Sheridan, normally takes me about 6 hours on my motorcycle

definetly the route that goes through TenSleep. Make sure to stop in at the Sleepy Coyote, amazing food there and if the owner is there, you will get a sh*t ton of hunting stories. The owner is Steve Criner (the dog soldier hunting tv) and his wife. Criner is an awesome guy and totally different in person than on tv.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider

ClearCreek

Do this and catch a few trout out of Shell Creek on your way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Short Track
Rt 26 looks amazing, but possibly dirt ? Is it doable 1st week of Oct? In a rental car? Looks like it goes between 87 & 14

Rt 26 looks amazing, but possibly dirt ? Is it doable 1st week of Oct? In a rental car? Looks like it goes between 87 & 14

I think you are talking about Red Grade Road that is in Sheridan County. Yes, that is a gravel/dirt road. It will be open the first week of October unless we get a real good blizzard (not likely this year).

That road can be pretty rough, especially a section coming down the east face that is both rough and steep. If you decide to attempt it travel it west to east.

ClearCreek

Last edited:

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
Can a guy get by catching some with a spinning rod or does a guy need a fly rod?

I'll be close in October with a large group of guys if things go well maybe I'll have some time to kill. Seems like the ideal way to spend a day on vacation.

OP
Short Track
This is my plan, if I get my Antelope on opening day: Looks like a 10 hour drive. Maybe split it into 2 days...
Gillette
Buffalo
Meadowlark Lake
Ten Sleep
Worland (straight west)
Or up North West to Manderson (angle)
Grey Bull
Shell
Burgess Junction
Ranchester
Sheridan
Then 90 south to Buffalo then Gillette
Or 14 scenic (south east) back to Gillette.
Fly home.

wyosteve

WKR
I would take the Ten Sleep to Hyattville to Manderson route. Saves about 30 miles compared to the Worland route.

OP
Short Track
When you grow up in New York city... and somehow get into fishing & hunting.. yes.. Wyoming becomes an adventure :)

I drive from Iowa to Sheridan 3-4 times a year. If it’s not the middle of the night I usually drive 14 from Gillette to Sheridan. Usually plenty to look at. When leaving Buffalo to meadowlark the South Fork is a decent place to stop and eat ( My wife and I got married there 10years ago) pretty laid back. Shell to Burgess is nice. Stop and spend 15 mins walking around Shell Falls, I do like the 14A route Lovell to Burgess but it’ll add a bit of time the way your going. My wife and I spent a day checking out Devils Canyon the first of Sept and had a good time

Youll have a good time looking around whichever way you go. Have a good time!!

Short Track:

If you made the drive yesterday that means you must have been successful in your hunt on October 1st.

Glad to hear you were able to make the drive, and I will agree, it is a beautiful time to make that drive!

Now, how about a photo or two of the hunt?

ClearCreek

Richieber

FNG
When you grow up in New York city... and somehow get into fishing & hunting.. yes.. Wyoming becomes an adventure :)

Just got back a week ago, drove from Westchester county NY to area around town of Midwest in Wyoming. Your not kidding coming from where we live it was quite an adventure one I'll never forget. Can't wait to check out more of Wyoming and the west.