Big Island Hawaii

Krem

FNG
Hey all, looking for some info on what hunting on the Big Island is like. I'll be staying in Hilo in December for 2 weeks and am in the beginning stages of planning a hunt. It looks like there is some public land not too far from there. Wondering how bad the roads are and what the bow hunting is like in the area.

Rob5589

WKR
No help but, there are goats everywhere. Saw some big billies in the lava flows not that far off the main highway. Shouldn't be too hard to find them if you can gain access. Good luck!

OP
Krem

Krem

FNG
I've heard there's a lot of goats but idk how the hunting pressure is

feanor

WKR
I’ve hiked out on those slopes into lava tubes but never hunted it. Take water and have good boots. The lava flow areas are tough on your feet after a while- whether it’s degraded or solid.

Look at unit E on Mauna Loa. We drove up an old road and got there early. It’s tough hunting but you can still find pigs and big island rams there. Also hunted archery unit g a couple years ago but it was very desolate and only seen 1 ram. Try to identify the aha lava vs the pahhoho on the map. The aha is the harshest terrain I’ve ever walked on. It’s piles of volleyball sized rocks with super sharp edges. If you can afford it going with a local/guide will improve your chances 10 fold.

OP
Krem

Krem

FNG
Thanks for the info guys, I have yet to be on a guided hunt but it might be my best bet of I can find some one affordable.