Big Kodak Bear or Kamchatka Bear calibers

Jacack

WKR
You shoot those elk and moose with iron sites with your 375 ruger? Do you have the 375 ruger guide gun, or different make and model?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Actually have two. Bought the ruger African New about 9 years ago then found a deal on one of the Alaskan used that had the stainless and cheap hogue stock.

African has a scope with qr rings so I can put a set of peep sights on it.

Alaskan has the factory irons.
Moose and a cow elk with irons shot more stuff with the African with the scope over the years.

I have been tempted to unload both and build a " custom " 375 on a CZ 550 i have but haven't done it yet

Shoot what you can shoot well. Alaska Master Guide Phil Shoemaker has no problem with his clients using 30-06 and in fact sometimes uses a 30-06 to back his clients up. He has seen far more problems with people not being able to shoot heavy recoiling rifles well than being "under-gunned."

When I was stationed in Kodiak I toted a 30-06, 35 Whelen or 45-70. I was confident in my ability to place a bullet and on the bullets ability to disrupt tissue.

With that said, I fully support any excuse someone might have to buy a new gun.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
It doesn't appear you are afraid of recoil or big cartridges? Bears aren't considered thick skinned by Africa standards so many of the Standard Medium bores work well at normal hunting distances. I bet more have been killed with the old 30-06 than any other.

From a personal preference as mentioned I like short compact rifles, especially in close quarters. So the standard Long Action for '06 case is as long as I would go. Many of the Magnum cartridges, including the H&H need the extra length, then a long barrel to burn powder etc.

There was a cartridge designed for just that purpose- the 376 Steyr and the line of Steyr Scout Rifles. Never really took off though, but still able to find components.

The 375 Ruger was designed to fit in an '06 length action and out perform the H&H. It also meets the .375 cal minimum for dangerous game in Africa if you ever decided to go. the 416 Ruger is the same case necked up. The good standby .338 win mag is also a shorter case than the 300 WM, and has killed many brown bears.

As mentioned there are a number of time tested medium bores that would work well - 338-06 a-square, 35 Whelen (I would do the Ackley version to avoid and 'headspace' issues) and the popular in Europe and Africa 9.3x62 mauser.
Not one one bit, shoot a .300 Weatherby with 180 grain Accubonds, in an MDT Chassis, leaves a bruise after about 2 boxes, it’s enjoyable. However I was on M1A2 Abrams for 7 years and enjoyed sticking my head out of the hatch and getting hit in the head by the muzzle blast coming backwards lol, might have shaken some fasteners lose

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak from experience but one of my best friends dropped an Alaskan grizzly with a .375 Ruger. One shot, the bear dropped and never flinched. I can't say there are not better cartridges, but in this case the .375 Ruger did exactly what is was supposed to do.

Not sure if you listen to podcasts, but if so check out The Big Game Hunting Podcast, episodes 103 and 97.
He has Dr. Kevin Robertson on, one of the foremost guides in Africa and author of The Perfect Shot books. Kevin has done a ton of testing on various big game guns & bullets.

In those interviews, he goes in-depth on what guns, calibers and bullets they’ve extensively tested, which ones passed and which ones shit the bed, along with modifications/custom work he does to his guns to get them hunting & guide ready.
He doesn‘t hold back on which guns failed and why, and some of the results might surprise you.

Anyone who likes hunting and guns should check them out, it’s fascinating stuff.

Trees91

WKR
While guiding we carry 375s, if we need to use our guns it’s because sh*t hit the fan and we want some stopping power. I’ve guided clients with 300wsm/win mags on up to the 375 rugers and h&hs. Bang flop on two brown bear this year shooting a 338 win mag and barnes. If you confidently shoot a 300 win or even a 30-06 it’ll do the job just fine.

I’ve also seen bear get lost while shot with a 375...a bad shot is a bad shot no matter how big the bullet is.

Now. If you just want a new gun in 375 for a big alaskan hunt go for it, I picked up a Kimber Talkeenta the first time I headed up there.

.375 H&H every day of the week! Plenty of gun for the job, not too hard to find good ammo, felt recoil is pretty mild (all things considered), and it will easily incapacitate any animal on this planet with a decently placed shot. I’ve killed more animals with my .375 H&H than any other single rifle in my safe, I’m absolutely sold on this caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk