Big Mech Broadhead Destruction Battle Vid

nphunter

That was fun to watch. I've killed elk with the Trypan and Dead meat. Both worked great for me and both fly great, the dead meat carries better in a quiver and you don't have to worry about the collars getting damaged. I might have to try out that Sevr 2.0

Last edited:
OP
Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64

That was fun to watch. I've killed elk with the Trypan and Dead meat. Both worked great for me and both fly great, the dead meat carries better in a quiver and you don't have to worry about the collars getting damaged. I might have to try out that Sevr 2.0
Yeah, those will get the job done. That Sevr Robusto is really impressive. It weighs 150 but it's worth it for the steel. And you can use my Discount Code: LUSKFIVE saves $5 on any order.

Reactions: ZDR

Desk Jockey

Another great video. really well done. I had been noodling on a switch to a mechanical for next year. I am gonna have to buy some sevr broadheads now. I hope those guys are paying you something.

OP
Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64

Another great video. really well done. I had been noodling on a switch to a mechanical for next year. I am gonna have to buy some sevr broadheads now. I hope those guys are paying you something.
Whenever someone uses my discount code: LUSKFIVE, they save $5 off any order and I get a small commission--it's a win win.

Desk Jockey

Whenever someone uses my discount code: LUSKFIVE, they save $5 off any order and I get a small commission--it's a win win.
good.

i shoot 100 grain broad heads on my compound. I am inclined to go with 2” 100s For the additional cutting surface. Any reason to preference the AP or 1.5 over the 2”. Also use iron will collars. I assume that won’t cause any grief but thought I would ask. Shooting axis 5mm out of a 75# Hoyt on a 30” draw if that matters.

Joshk358

Man, those Sevr 1.5's are stout. Ive been shooting the 1.7 AP and may switch, I don't know. Love the videos, keep up the great work.

OP
Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64

Thank you. The 1.7s are nice. And they’re making some tweaks to them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalomtn

Thanks for doing the video John. I have had deflections that should not have happened with the Sevr 2.0. I think it may be due to the blades being so far forward. Have you tested for that?

Desk Jockey

Thanks for doing the video John. I have had deflections that should not have happened with the Sevr 2.0. I think it may be due to the blades being so far forward. Have you tested for that?
Care to share more detail while we wait for John to reply? I am trying to decide among the options for size.

MattB

Too bad Vortex wasn't included, one of the best MBH designs.

Buffalomtn

That doesn't help the rest of us. Unless you want to send out a bunch of PM's.
I shot a mature buck with a Sevr 2.0 this fall. I was elevated about 10’, deer was not alert and was broadside, did not appear to move at the shot. Used a lighted nock and saw the arrow impact about 1/3 of the way up a couple of inches behind the shoulder. Looked perfect. Very sparse blood trail, took 3 of us about 3 hours to track him 250 yards, kicked him out of a bed and backed out. Could not get on his track over the next several days. A week later got him on trail camera with a big wound about 2” behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up, and an exit wound out his back between the shoulder blades. Ended up shooting him about a week later and the post mortem showed that the Sevr never entered the chest cavity, it looked like it deflected off a rib. It is possible he ducked at the shot but I certainly did not see it and the entrance wound was right where I was aiming and right where I thought I saw it hit. I used the 2.1 the previous year and did not have a deflection but was not happy with the penetration on does and hogs I shoot a 540 grain arrow at 280 fps. My bow is tuned and I shoot bare shafts with fletched at 30 yards. I shot a couple of hogs before this deer with the 2.0 and they worked fine and I thought the changes they made helped. This could have been a one in a million occurrence but I do not trust them at this point.

Zac

I think there is no longer any reason to use Rage with Sevr, and the new Rek offerings. Both seem like far superior options for blade closure and durability.

Page Master

I think the Sevr fly great, and I've wanted to like them, but I have had not so great luck with them. I shot a doe at 17 yards with a 2'' last year. Perfect double lung, did not pass through. The tip poked out the other side, but fell back out the entry hole.

I shot a mule deer buck at 44 yards, APPEARED to be another double lung, well behind the shoulder. We had minimal blood for several hundred yards and never picked up good blood. I tracked blood splatterings and tracks for 1.5 miles through prairie canyons and ridges to no avail. I wish I could have found that deer, just to see if he lived and where it actually hit, but again, no pass through. And that was with a 1.5''.

Same arrow set up. BE Rampage, 444TAW, 274FPS.

Billy Goat

I'll say that I feel like I have had sub par penetration on whitetail. Haven't had any durability issues. I get pass thru's but the arrow will just be laying on the ground on the backside. So deer is taking 99% of the arrows energy. This is with both 2.1 and 2.0. 65#, 28.5" dl, 440 grain arrow. Blood trails are decent, better than most any fixed blade, but not as good as a 3 blade mechanical. No funky pass thru's, they go in and out where expected so far. Haven't hit anything other than ribs with them. I'm definitely not going to be using them for elk, I like holes on both sides and the arrow making complete pass thru for blood trails.

I'll add I use a heavier draw weight and have been using a heavier arrow for elk. Just I had better penetration on elk with a 400 grain arrow @ 70# with spitfires than I'm getting with these and deer. These do fly nice, easy to tune and with the lock screw you can have complete confidence in the head you are shooting.

Last edited: