Big mule deer here I come :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
belly-deep, thanks for the vote of confidence. Odds are way stacked against me!
MOHunter, thanks and glad your following and scouting!
Kevin Root, I hope to show you a close up, too!

I realized the pics at the end of the video are pretty small, so here are the last two at full size.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Robby, I have really been enjoying this thread. However, I just wanted to warn you that after you released this video, that the "Mule Deer Project" has decided to go to Idaho instead. Could this be a conspirasy?

I could only watch half while eating lunch and got shut down for whatever reason. I "Really" liked the info, discussion and video footage.
Gas in GJ is about the cheapest your going to find in western CO., but then you were gouged in UT been there done that. I will ask even though you might have said it. ML season is a long way off...they still going to be in the area or do they need to be stepped on in order to vacate
Thank you RD

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rick
The bucks can always move and usually do. However, the thicker the country (and it is thick up there), typically the closer they stick around. Wide open high-coountry bucks can move miles. Hard to say until I get there.

Also, I picked a fairly "roadless" area (relative term) so it should just be foot hunters. If it was an area ATV's could buzz, they would be gone (at least the big ones).

Hope you make it to the end of the video, that is where the good stuff is.

and you are right about filling up in the Junction! Much cheaper

Last edited:
Nice looking Buck, at what point do we call them monsters:D. If you listen closely the first time you state "excitedly" that archery starts in 3 weeks your voice quivered. Is that excitement great or what:cool:

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You're right, I get buck fever three weeks in advance when I see one of these big deer in a place I can hunt!

Two more weeks until season Robby. I can't wait, I am going scouting for 4 days starting Weds. I am back packing in about 5 miles Weds. coming out Fri. and then going into a new area Friday afternoon and coming out Saturday. I bought a new TC smokepole and it shoots great. Good luck to everyone hunting Mulies with a muzzle loader.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
IGWT
thanks for chiming in and best of luck on your hunt, too, with your new TC. Which model are you shooting?

PS everyone,
remember, there is still another twist in this story- just as soon as I have time to edit some video!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Trevor,
if you've followed the Mule Deer Project, that is what's taking my time right now as Cindy and I get ready for that hunt, plus I have to have everything ready for Colorado as there might only be a few days between these hunts. Hopefully I can get my gear together and post. Stay with me buddy! Tell your mom, "HI"

Oh sure...

I think you like the torture. I remember one of your "twists" from a few years ago.

"Hey Trevor, did you hear any gun shots today?"

"No Robby, I didn't. Did you see anything?"

"No, but I want to show you some buck tracks...oh look, he started running right here...now he's bleeding...here he slid down the hill...look there's a buck laying down there!"

haha

I'll tell my mom you said hi

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yea, I forgot about that :)

This is the buck:
attachment.php

For those who don't know, that is belly-deep right behind me and he guided me to my first Montana buck- lab aged at 6 years old. That was a day/night I'll never forget.

I'll always remember that one too Robby.

For the record, I wan't an official "guide" for Robby...just a hunting buddy showing him a few of my hot spots! I think I learned more from him on that trip than he did from me.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bitterroot, that is a W. MT buck- good eye!

So, here is the other twist I'd mentioned earlier. No matter how much a guy plans, things seem to never turn out like we think, but all is well.

It's a 10 minute video, if you've stayed up on the thread, you can skip to 5:25, unless you want to catch up or get some tips on tuning muzzleloaders.

[video=vimeo;48261901]http://vimeo.com/48261901[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.