Big Stove for Tipi Car Camping

treillw

WKR
I currently have a DCF Cimarron and a Large Seek Ti stove. I would like to get a big stove for the tipi that would burn more through the night for car camping, or backcountry camping where weight isn't a huge concern. I will probably end up getting a bigger tipi eventually - maybe a redcliff or one step larger.

What kind of stove would you recommend? Burn time and weight?

My family has a big wall tent stove that I've thought about trying to put in there, but it has a big stove pipe. Is there anyway to neck the stovepipe down to get it through the Seek stove jack or something?

I realize that a "huge" stove in the Cimarron is going to make it feel more crammed in there. If it gets too big, I guess that's a good excuse to pull the trigger on a large tent (I've been considering it for quite awhile). My main goal is to get a big stove that will keep burning for a long time and not necessarily a "big for a Cimarron" stove, if that makes sense. I'd like to make it work with the Cimarron, but just might have to get another tent.

EDIT - I have ordered an 8 man tipi.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If weight isn't an issue, look into a nuway propane stove. You can set it on low for the night and be about perfect and it's safer for such a small space IMO. Plus it's much cleaner and less of a hassle dealing with wood. I have a cimarron and to me it isn't the type of tent where you can run a stove all night without getting absolutely blasted out of there. Two minutes in that thing with even a small fire and I have the door wide open waiting for the fire to go out so I can crawl back in my bag. I run the same system in my much larger arctic oven. I still have a wood stove, but it hasn't been used in 4 years since switching.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
If weight isn't an issue, look into a nuway propane stove. You can set it on low for the night and be about perfect and it's safer for such a small space IMO. Plus it's much cleaner and less of a hassle dealing with wood. I have a cimarron and to me it isn't the type of tent where you can run a stove all night without getting absolutely blasted out of there. Two minutes in that thing with even a small fire and I have the door wide open waiting for the fire to go out so I can crawl back in my bag. I run the same system in my much larger arctic oven. I still have a wood stove, but it hasn't been used in 4 years since switching.

That looks really nice. What size are you using/would you recommend? Do you use it in the arctic oven and Cimarron?

Why do you think it's safer? Any chimney leaks, etc?

I envision it would be really easy to fire up and adjust and maintain the temperature. Why aren't they more popular for wall tents?? I have never heard of them.

How long does a 20# propane tank last?

Only downside I see at first blush is that you can run out of propane. Any others?

Sorry for all the questions; it's new to me. Thanks for the idea!

Check this out as an option, if you’re truck camping it could be nice.

That looks really nice. What size are you using/would you recommend? Do you use it in the arctic oven and Cimarron?

Why do you think it's safer? Any chimney leaks, etc?

I envision it would be really easy to fire up and adjust and maintain the temperature. Why aren't they more popular for wall tents?? I have never heard of them.

How long does a 20# propane tank last?

Only downside I see at first blush is that you can run out of propane. Any others?

Sorry for all the questions; it's new to me. Thanks for the idea!
I use a nu-way with my arctic oven igloo. It is great for heating a smaller or double walled structure (like an arctic oven). Did a lot of reading on here before buying. It has been great, like staying in a cabin into the teens F and I’m sure lower with one burner out of 2 going most of the time. Get the biggest one, the size difference isn’t great.

If you search on here, you will find 1-2 experiences using them with wall tents. For single walled/ larger structures they just don’t put out very many BTUs compared to wood stoves and don’t work well for wall tent applications. I also checked with Duane of Snowtrekker tents and he had the same opinion, and his tents generally aren’t that big. That said, how big of a structure/ how low of temperature would likely impact your experience, and someone here seems to like it in a Kodiak Canvas spring bar tent.

Running out of propane is a thing, but you can plan consumption (they burn a predictable amount of fuel).

If you are really brave, you will run into an issue when temps drop enough to change the phase state of the propane like this guy did bison hunting at negative 30 to 40 C.

I am actually considering getting a SO Cimarron to use with it in order to have something less bulky/quicker setup than my Arctic Oven for overnight grouse hunting trips in the fall (drive up, be sleeping in warmth with the dog within 30 minutes.

I don’t have experience with one, but a Kni-Co trekker stove comes with a 4 inch stove pipe, and would be closer to 3 inches at the stove jack if using a tapered nesting pipe. Should work with the stock stove jack opening in a smaller SO tipi if you don’t want to cut it too much.
If money is no concern, a 4-dog titanium stove also comes with a smaller 4 inch stove pipe.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Any thoughts on the Pomoly stoves? They have some big ones that look nice and relatively lightweight.

johnnyg08

FNG
Any thoughts on the Pomoly stoves? They have some big ones that look nice and relatively lightweight.
Pomoly is a good brand. You're right. They have a bunch of options and their customer service is top shelf.

johnnyg08

FNG
I should add, that if you need it fast, they (Pomoly), like a lot of vendors, are a bit backed up with shipping times right now. I ordered their StoveHut 70 Hot Tent and I'm not expecting it until January.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I ordered an 8 man tipi. Any other suggestions?

Remembered seeing this one when I was researching nu-way. Folks hanging out in a kifaru sawtooth (similar material construction, smaller size and different shape as your 8 man) in super cold temps complaining of being too warm at a point.

If running wood stove and wanting to limit stovepipe size, I’d still be looking at kni-co trekker. If willing to fit a full size stove pipe Four dog “little dog” (believe it has been called 2dog model, not seeing the bigger stoves on their website anymore, shame if they stopped making them) should burn longer/ more efficiently.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Is there anyway to neck down a stove pipe? Ie) wall tent stove pipe necked down to a seek diameter pipe.

Dunno what diameter pipe i can get through the stove jack without cutting it bigger.

Nesting pipes will be smaller at the top of the stack due to the calidascoping (sort of) design. So by default, this will be smaller (I think with the kni-co stoves you lose about an inch in diameter at the very top of the pipe).

You can also utilize a reducer , knocking down pipe from 5 inches to 4, as an example. I believe this is generally frowned upon as it will limit the potential draw of the stove, increasing likelihood of being smoked out, potential burn etc.

I think your least expensive option would be to get a piece each of 3,4 &5 inch round duct work & see what will work with the stove jack. I also wouldn’t be worried too much about extending the slits in the stove jack to accommodate a larger pipe diameter as long as there is some jack material separating the stove pipe from the nylon tent material. I would think that a smaller diameter pipe would work just fine even if you enlarged the opening a little.

I didn't have any trouble opening up the stove jack a tad to accomodate a 5" pipe.

12-man tipi, cylinder stove from Davis (sold the wall tent, kept the stove)

k7EE7vl.jpg

46WrODJ.jpg

7Oz0kI1.jpg

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I didn't have any trouble opening up the stove jack a tad to accomodate a 5" pipe.

12-man tipi, cylinder stove from Davis (sold the wall tent, kept the stove)

k7EE7vl.jpg

46WrODJ.jpg

7Oz0kI1.jpg
If I take the 8 man into the backcountry, I'd probably take my lightweight Seek Large Ti stove. Wonder if the smaller stove pipe would have any issues in the oversized stove jack?

If I take the 8 man into the backcountry, I'd probably take my lightweight Seek Large Ti stove. Wonder if the smaller stove pipe would have any issues in the oversized stove jack?
I'm not sure about that. The 3" pipe in a 5" jack might let in some rain/snow. Not sure how the wind might affect it, or not.

Sorry to raise this from the dead but i was wondering if anyone on here tried the Colorado Cylinder Stove Unc (which looks like a rebranding of the Ellis Stove). I have an 8 man tipi and 80% of the use is car camping - being able to load full size logs is very appealing and im looking at a second stove longer than my SO XL.

@MontanaMarine, which size stove do you have in your picture? that davis stove is my second option and trying to picture how it will fit in an 8 man (that i use at times with a nest for family reasons).

Sorry to raise this from the dead but i was wondering if anyone on here tried the Colorado Cylinder Stove Unc (which looks like a rebranding of the Ellis Stove). I have an 8 man tipi and 80% of the use is car camping - being able to load full size logs is very appealing and im looking at a second stove longer than my SO XL.

@MontanaMarine, which size stove do you have in your picture? that davis stove is my second option and trying to picture how it will fit in an 8 man (that i use at times with a nest for family reasons).

I believe it's the smallest size offered by Davis. We originally bought it with a 12x14 wall tent package.

The cylinder diameter is 13", the depth is 23", the height is 21" to the flat top with the legs on it.