Big toe pain with new Hanwags

satchamo

WKR
Hey guys -

I have been breaking in hanwag alverstone for the last week. I would have started this process months ago but they were literally out of stock in my sizes for that long.

Anyways - i did 3 miles this morning on a local trail with my son on my back in a carrier (40ish lbs)

I’m starting to notice a pain that I’ve never felt before in boots which is like a stone bruise type pain a the base of both my big toes. It’s like stepping on a marble in that area. These boots are so stiff I think I am curling my toes a bit to try and avoid that pain. I’m not sure if these boots just don’t agree with me or if this is something an insole could fix?

For info I’m a size 14 (normally a 13 in shoes) and I wear darn tough hiking socks with padding.

I’ve been eyeballing the LS synergy beds for a few years and might bite the bullet but I’m also getting down to the wire and just might have to go back to trust Solomon’s... I just wanted to try and find a more substantial boot.

I like them so far other than this pain.

Anyone had this before or offer any advice?

Rob5589

WKR
Have you pulled the insoles and felt around inside the boot? Might be the way the boot is assembled. A new insole may or may not help if it is a design flaw.

Could be the boot not bending enough or in the right spot for your foot flex point and is over working that area. Could be muscle and fascia related from the hips down somewhere or your hips might need to be adjusted. I’ve felt a burn in that area a lot when my foot slides a little and the boot doesn’t bend.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Could be the boot not bending enough or in the right spot for your foot flex point and is over working that area. Could be muscle and fascia related from the hips down somewhere or your hips might need to be adjusted. I’ve felt a burn in that area a lot when my foot slides a little and the boot doesn’t bend.

So probably not something an insole could fix? Or you think further break in? I’ve never experienced the pain before and I had lowa Tibet’s which were stiffer then these

prm

WKR
I tried Hanwags a month or so ago. Did not work for me. It’s like they curve in and rub my big toe. Had to return them. I really wanted to like them but they weren’t even close to working for me.

Last edited:

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I've felt that same sensation under my big toes on a pair of Salewas. They were really comfortable walking around, but after about 8 miles I started feeling a little hot spot, and then I started wondering if I had somehow got a pebble in my boot under my big toe. Took off the boots, and of course, no pebble. I'd love to know if there is a specific ID for that issue cause it hurt like that for a couple days after. It was a shame because other than that, the boots were really comfortable. But that was enough for me to pass on those boots. Hope you get it figured out, good luck!

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I’m going to try some L&S insoles and I’ll report back