bigger guy sleeping suggestions

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I DO!

Sleeping with all your clothing on may not be something you would choose to do, but I would not knock it!

Each to his own, but saving space and weight on extended trips can be tough and this is very easy to do.

What bag are you using?

The Mont-bell U.L. super spiral down hugger #1

OP
S

stinky

FNG
Wow this thread got loaded up pretty quick. I went to the local REI and tried out a bunch of bags and pads. Only one that I could really fit in was the Agnes Lost Ranger, long, but didn't really like the price, $270. Checked out the advice here and found the Encampment on S and S and with the promo code for today will get that and the Insulated core pad. Question though, the tall bag says it take a 20" wide pad, I can't go any wider for the taller/wider Encampment? 20" wasn't all that great. I guess I could do without putting the pad inside the pocket of the bag and go with the 25" pad. Do you guys really fall off the pad that much?

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Wow this thread got loaded up pretty quick. I went to the local REI and tried out a bunch of bags and pads. Only one that I could really fit in was the Agnes Lost Ranger, long, but didn't really like the price, $270. Checked out the advice here and found the Encampment on S and S and with the promo code for today will get that and the Insulated core pad. Question though, the tall bag says it take a 20" wide pad, I can't go any wider for the taller/wider Encampment? 20" wasn't all that great. I guess I could do without putting the pad inside the pocket of the bag and go with the 25" pad. Do you guys really fall off the pad that much?

That really depends on what type of sleeper you are. My sleep patterns vary so much that yes some nights I end up off my pad and other nights I wake up in the same position I went to sleep in. With that said I never worried about having a sleeping bag that would hold my sleeping pad. If I role off in the night I normally wake up when my down side gets cold or starts to hurt so I get back on the pad. I would go with the 25" pad if I were you, less chance of rolling off it. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I DO!

Sleeping with all your clothing on may not be something you would choose to do, but I would not knock it!

Each to his own, but saving space and weight on extended trips can be tough and this is very easy to do.

What bag are you using?

I'd be down for sleeping in the clothes I wore in if my pants weren't soaked. :D

On shorter trips 1-3 nights I don't mind the sleeping in clothes thing, but on longer trips being able to sleep in just the base layer is much preferred for me.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be down for sleeping in the clothes I wore in if my pants weren't soaked. :D

On shorter trips 1-3 nights I don't mind the sleeping in clothes thing, but on longer trips being able to sleep in just the base layer is much preferred for me.

I have worn my wet clothing to bed just to dry it out a couple of times. Wiggys bags are great for that but I would not try it in any of my other bags.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Stinky,
With the Big Agnes bags you dont have to worry about rolling off the pad. Since the pad fits into the sleeve on the bottom of the bag, the pad moves with you/bag. So instead of you/bag ending up on the downhill side of your tent and the pad on the uphill - both you/bag and the pad slide together to the downhill side!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have worn my wet clothing to bed just to dry it out a couple of times. Wiggys bags are great for that but I would not try it in any of my other bags.

I've done the clothes dry out thing in both Wiggy's and down. Neither were sopping wet, in fact both were really just damp but both worked. I like both down and wiggy's myself. Both serve their purpose for sure. Its funny though the difference between a 30 degree and 15 degree bag is only usually around a half pound or so, for me I'd rather run a Neo Air with a 15 degree bag than a 30 degree bag and a Big Agnes which would be about equal in weight. Of course I am one to talk though, I take a 9 oz Neo Air short and a 23 oz 25 degree quilt when solo during the summer and sleep just fine in just my base layers.

On longer backpacking trips the extra comfort of sleeping in just base layers by having a bag warm enough to accommodate that is worth the extra half pound to get the next bag rated for colder temps rather than wearing my puffy coat to bed. However, like I said shorter 1-3 day trips I can make the sacrifice ;) All about finding a system that works for you as you know.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I've done the clothes dry out thing in both Wiggy's and down. Neither were sopping wet, in fact both were really just damp but both worked. I like both down and wiggy's myself. Both serve their purpose for sure. Its funny though the difference between a 30 degree and 15 degree bag is only usually around a half pound or so, for me I'd rather run a Neo Air with a 15 degree bag than a 30 degree bag and a Big Agnes which would be about equal in weight. Of course I am one to talk though, I take a 9 oz Neo Air short and a 23 oz 25 degree quilt when solo during the summer and sleep just fine in just my base layers.

On longer backpacking trips the extra comfort of sleeping in just base layers by having a bag warm enough to accommodate that is worth the extra half pound to get the next bag rated for colder temps rather than wearing my puffy coat to bed. However, like I said shorter 1-3 day trips I can make the sacrifice ;) All about finding a system that works for you as you know.

I agree on longer hunts you need to be comfortable or you will quickly get worn down and then you get to the point were you can't even keep warm during the day time. If I ever start thinking that extra half pound is too much weight I can go on a diet and get rid of it. :)

Jdog

WKR
I am 6'8" 242 lbs.
I use a Big Agnes Insulated Air core pad and a Western Mtn'rng Badger (7'). This is a warm setup during archery season...i often sleep with it unzipped.
Sure beats the old TNF Goliath I used for years.

bowuntr

WKR
Big Agnes Lost Ranger long, Thermarest Neoair and earplugs.... I've never slept better in the backcountry. Ed F

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'3' 220lbs, I'm using a Marmot Plasma(just purchased) and a Thermorest Neoair. I had to upgrade to this bag for this years upcoming High-Hunt in Washington. Last year I used a REI bag that just did not quite keep me warm enough, hoping the new bag does the trick! Deciding factor for me were its dimensions and light weight. My 7 day pack including rifle was 47lbs last year, with all of the gear "high-grading" I've been doing this years pack should be about 40lbs heading up the trail.

littlebuf

Banned
were almost the exact same size.im actually a little bigger at 6'4" 235. i use a thermarest prolite 4 but plan on getting a neo air.just dont expect a king size bed.it is backpacking after all,when it comes down to it you can make a pretty nice bed out of pine bows any size you like

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Mont-bell U.L. super spiral down hugger #1

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well as your sleeping bag is an example of one that you may need to wear clothing to keep warm (depending on temps). I use a 15 degree bag year round in Colorado and when the temps drop I just layer up.

During elk season the temps normaly stay above 35 at night, so a 20 degree bag would do fine, but if the temps drop you will be alright for a night or two with clothing on.

My point was that you shouldn't bring a 0 degree bag on a September elk hunt since you will be packing an extra 1.5 lbs for nothing. If you are using a bivy, it will add an extra 5-10 degrees in temp and that should be figured in as well.

SO....I wasn't telling everyone to kill themselves by freezing to death and wear their clothing every night, but more that you can get by a night or two if the temps really get cold in a slightly higher rated bag (20-30).