Bigger pickup or smaller camper?

Long story shortish. Sold my house and was going to move into a rental while we waited to build a new house. Rental fell though and lined up another rental but couldn't get into it for 2 months so we bought a camper to live in for a couple months. . . We had to scramble when buying the camper because any good deal had 4 people wanting it within an hour of being posted. But we got a Goode deal on a used camper. The problem is it is a travel trailer and it weighs 7800lbs dry and I have an 06 half ton Chevy. Now it has a tow package and some extra suspension but we are definitely pushing the limits of towing capacity.

Now I need a new vehicle and hope to buy one later this year if some deals start popping up. . . But my question is do I buy a 2500 just to pull a camper 8-10 weekends a year or stick with a 1500 and look to trade into a lighter camper?

Now i live in Nebraska and will be camping mostly within 100 miles and mainly across flat ground for towing. Newer pickups could get me a towing capacity that is higher but is a half ton going to handle a 34ft camper weighing 8500-9000 loaded?

So go smaller or get a bigger pickup? I'd love to keep the camper as it meets our needs but I don't feel like a 3/4 ton makes a lot of sense for general life...on the flip side I don't want to over work s 1500 pulling too much weight.

I don't know enough about routine pulling beyond a cargo trailer, someone help me out on what you pull with your half ton and when you bump up to a 3/4 ton!

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
These new half tons pull like a freight train. Especially if your not dealing with hills. I have a new f150 with the 3.5 Eco boost. It has more power and torque than my old 7.3l diesel did and gets 20mpg around town if I can keep my foot out of it. From what I hear the new Chevy is the same way with mileage and power.
With the way gas is I would deal with the lesser capacity so long as it is capable.

I went the small trailer small truck route myself. It’s just the wife and I with the dog and when camping we don’t spend much time inside except at night unless it’s really windy. It’s about 17’ and about 4klbs loaded so the tacoma tows it just fine even in the mountains, though the mpg really goes to hell. It’s nice to be able to get into just about any campsite as opposed to the longer rigs. I also like being able to easily get into gas stations, etc it just makes for an easier time traveling around. The smaller trailer has everything we need and just enough room to be comfortable if we need to be inside more than usual. I do wish it had recliners or a couch instead of the dinette for watching a movie at night or whatever, something to consider if you end up shopping for a smaller one.

I’d say going with a bigger truck would be the best way to go. That’s a lot of weight for a half ton!

IMO a 34ft camper is a little overkill for camping 8-10 times a year. I think it would be cheaper to use the big camper until you get in the rental. Then swap campers for a smaller one. I Iike smaller campers though. Easier to maneuver and the plan when camping is to enjoy the outdoors.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I like my `07 Ram 2500 much better than the `98 1500 I had previously just because it is a much more robust truck. I don't think that difference has changed in recent years.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I'll echo a new 1500 or F150 will pull it no problem, but control or stopping could be an issue (your 06 won't do either well). If you don't drive a bunch, I'd go with a 3/4 or 1 ton and they don't get good mileage, but it beats having 2 vehicles (1 for pulling, 1 for daily driving) or a smaller trailer.

jimh406

WKR
Google search says you are within the limits of a 1500. Since it's level ground and 100 miles, you'll be fine as is. You don't say if you have a weight distribution hitch or not. I'd work to pickup a used one when you get a chance if you don't have one.

Your unloaded mpg will be down a lot with a 2500 compared to the 1500. The best I ever got with my 2500 was 15.3 on the highway. Just a quick warning.

So, don't change either the camper or the truck. Save the money for your house build that will easily eat up the extra money that you'll lose on a different truck.

But, if you are just dying to buy something, have fun.

ToolMann

WKR
Google search says you are within the limits of a 1500. Since it's level ground and 100 miles, you'll be fine as is. You don't say if you have a weight distribution hitch or not. I'd work to pickup a used one when you get a chance if you don't have one.

Your unloaded mpg will be down a lot with a 2500 compared to the 1500. The best I ever got with my 2500 was 15.3 on the highway. Just a quick warning.

So, don't change either the camper or the truck. Save the money for your house build that will easily eat up the extra money that you'll lose on a different truck.

Assuming you did a Google search for towing capacity. That typically isn't the issue with today's half tons and the manufacturers use that number too much. Payload capacity and max tongue weight must be considered and both are easy to exceed, especially with a travel trailer of that size.

Reactions: Ope

jimh406

WKR
Assuming you did a Google search for towing capacity. That typically isn't the issue with today's half tons and the manufacturers use that number too much. Payload capacity and max tongue weight must be considered and both are easy to exceed, especially with a travel trailer of that size.

You seem to be assuming that payload and tongue weight aren't considered when they specify tow weight. I'm assuming you know that payload and tongue weight are related. I also mentioned a weight distribution hitch which helps with both. In any case, we are talking 100 miles on level ground not regular trips over the Rockies.

Fwiw, I have a F450 and know advantages of big trucks, but buying a bigger truck just in case while building a house is a pretty bad idea from a money perspective.

OP
S

I do have a weight distribution hitch currently on the camper. And I'm definitely not dying to buy something. . . But I don't want to wind up where I "have" to buy something either when my 06 decides to go! Also with my work the "image" of my rusting out rear fenders and washing out paint color will eventually be commented on.

But I'm wanting to wait til close to year end and see if we can get some better deals out there if the economy keeps heading the way it is. While it won't be a fully cash purchase there will be a health down payment and I'm not worried about the monthly payment as we've been steadily eliminating debt lately.

My big concerns are control of the trailer and my daily driving comfort/economy. Currently put around 15000 miles per year on my truck but that will go up a bit with a nicer vehicle as we currently take the wife's vehicle anytime we go anywhere together of any distance. We would still use hers a lot but would definitely use a pickup more if it was a bit nicer ride and comforts.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

pk_

WKR
Personally I would go with a 26-28’ max with a couple slides for a bumper pull and 1/2 ton. Anything bigger I am going 5th wheel/diesel and these days I can’t see the practicality in that for a few weekends a year.

Personally I'd probably flip the trailer and go smaller.

But if you really love that trailer id maybe look all over for a clean used heavy duty.
Keep the half ton,
Then you could spend the evening before a trip getting all hooked and loaded roll in after work jump in the tow rig and head out.

ToolMann

WKR
You seem to be assuming that payload and tongue weight aren't considered when they specify tow weight. I'm assuming you know that payload and tongue weight are related. I also mentioned a weight distribution hitch which helps with both. In any case, we are talking 100 miles on level ground not regular trips over the Rockies.

Fwiw, I have a F450 and know advantages of big trucks, but buying a bigger truck just in case while building a house is a pretty bad idea from a money perspective.
Tow weight, payload and tongue weight are independent values. Yes they all go up as the trucks get bigger (usually) but it isn't that simple. The only direct correlation is that tongue weight is considered part of your payload. So is the weight of passengers and ever other item you carry in your truck. Weight distribution systems are fantastic, but they aren't the solution to being overloaded. The OP doesn't provide enough information to deduce if the current trailer and truck setup is "safe", or even legal. That would be my first step in helping to make the new truck vs. new trailer decision. We would need:

Truck Max for: Towing, Payload and Tongue Weight
Trailer: Weight (provided) and Tongue Weight
Extras: Weight of passengers and other items being carried in the truck.

Just my $.02. When I'm out on the highway my safety relies on others as well even if it is only 100 miles of flat road. I don't think saying "go ahead, you'll be fine" without knowing the current unknowns is a good idea.

You are way over what your truck is rated to tow with the new trailer. If you want to keep it you will need to get a 2500. I would tow at max with a 1500/weight distribution hitch for trips like you described, but not further than local trips.

Just need to decide if you want a bigger trailer or crappy daily gas mileage (gas 2500).

IMO a 34ft camper is a little overkill for camping 8-10 times a year. I think it would be cheaper to use the big camper until you get in the rental. Then swap campers for a smaller one. I Iike smaller campers though. Easier to maneuver and the plan when camping is to enjoy the outdoors.
same line of thinking here, i will echo your reply.... that's what i would do

in a perfect world, finding a grandpa owned 3/4 ton or 1 ton dodge for a good deal with the 5.9L would be a good option, but that's not realistic.... they will either be beat to hell, or super high priced.... i have no real need for a diesel, but if i ever see a good deal on a 5.9L, i'm buying it and ditching our tundra.... much more capability, and much better fuel economy.... worth dealing with the dodge quirks to me

after pulling my boat that's just shy of 6k lbs on the trailer, i personally wouldn't want to pull any more weight with that pickup... it does fine, but it feels like hard miles pulling the boat around here with coast traffic, hills, and windy road.... the 1/2 ton certainly doesn't pull it with ease, it's working hard