BigHorn Sheep Ram - Palm Springs

TheGDog

WKR
Though I'm imagining this is likely an area where you can't Hunt, figured I'd pass along this info from a friends post on FB. If for no other reason than the pics are pretty cool.
PalmSprings Desert BigHorn.jpg

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Why you gotta be a hater man? Obviously the dudes not a hunter.

KClark

WKR
Why you gotta be a hater man? Obviously the dudes not a hunter.
Of course I was being facetious, thought you were too, guess not. You can't run a headline like that on here and not expect a comment or two.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Of course I was being facetious, thought you were too, guess not. You can't run a headline like that on here and not expect a comment or two.
Oh wow... damn... my apologies, for whatever reason I hadn't even noticed I had copied his sentence text into the Post Title. Shoot man... My Bad!

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I edited the title of the post accordingly. I'm Slippin' G!

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Nice ram. There is a zone near there but the tags are extremely difficult to draw.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Yes he is nice. I figured somebody with a tag would appreciate the intel. And it was just a friend who sometimes hikes sharing it, so not like this would be me spoiling a hunt for somebody.

The bighorn sheep near Palm Springs are protected. It’s largely politics. For years people have tried to classify the sheep as a separate species, called “Peninsular” Bighorn. Genetically they are the same desert bighorn sheep (Nelson) found throughout the rest of the southwest.

The nearest sheep hunt zone is south and east across the Coachella valley in the Orocopia Mountains. Jason Hairston, the founder of Kuiu, got his California state record ram nicknamed “Goliath” in the Orocopias.

Nice ram. There is a zone near there but the tags are extremely difficult to draw.
I think we had 19 total sheep tags for the state in 2018. We got 10 more for a total of 29 tags in 2019 and we got 30 tags for 2020.

A group I belong to puts and maintains water in the desert, there are a bunch of issues, but basically there should be a lot more sheep and tags. We have the habitat...

We just completed a guzzler project last month in the Castle Mountains.