Bikes in Wilderness Again

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I hope this gets shot down and fast! I guess its time to start calling our reps.

I do like the authors comment on Elk hunters needing reliable child care, "I guess elk hunters can’t always find suitable daycare."

JWP58

WKR
We should make a deal. Give them MTB's in wilderness; however in return repeal the Wild Horse and Burro Act (and being aerial gunning immediately). Deal?

They don't have all the facts correct. There are wildnerness areas that previously allowed vehicles, including bikes. However, those times were before those wildnerness areas were declared wildneress areas. But I like the having some areas where bikes and vehicles are not permitted. These groups ar epushing for simular access on National Forest lands trails. In the past, when I owned horses, I've had a few mountain bikers run into my horse because they were screeming down the trail. If this type of thing passess anywhere, I can see speed limits on trails being implemented. Hell, I have mountain bikers (and I have and use one) almost hit me and wife on the trails around me on a fairly regular basis. Having livestock and hikers on the same trails poses some obsticles on ocassion. Throw mountain bikers in the mix on fairly remote trails, and it's a recepi for disaster.

Completely agree, I outfit in a proposed wilderness area (horses, hiking, and bikes allowed) and also in full wilderness. My proposed wilderness trails are a little more open and not as steep. If someone on a bike hit me on those there would be huge problems because it's a lot more open. Now on my wilderness trails those are nasty, complex, narrow, sharp curves, rocks and wooded areas. So the first problem would be people getting injured. I wouldn't walk a bike up these trails. Then they would want the trails redone to accommodate bikes. Who's gonna do that work cause I bet there won't be a chain gang of bicyclists packing, shovels, pick axes and all that kind of stuff to cut up boulders, and make the trail nicer. They're gonna want the forest service to do that and use tax payer money.

I don't know about you guys but my wilderness area is pretty sketchy. It's rocky dangerous and allowing bikes in there would give me a whole new stress level when packing, and riding. Before I outfitted I used the wilderness as a getaway because it seemed a lot more pure. I didn't hear quads, dirtbikes or cars driving around. Didn't see nearly as many hikers once I got in a little ways and it just made me feel like I was alone and in the old times.

Not sayin bikes are noisy and as bad as cars but the wilderness is great the way it is. Let's not change it because if bikes are allowed it's going to bring tons of changes to those areas, with trail maintenance, erosion control, and even more work for the forest service who is already very short handed.

It sucks when you been pedaling in an area for 30 years and now you can't. An example would be the great burn on the Idaho Montana border. Another gem that has been lost to mountain biking is the boulder whiteclouds.

Beendare

WKR
I like mtn biking...but one only has to see the conflict and damage to the trails caused by some of the hardcore single trackers [which i am not] to realize this is probably not the best idea.

I would agree with something like a proposal to keep bikes on fire roads...EXCEPT here in the SF bay area where that rule is in place it is broken constantly. I bump into guys bombing down single track hiking trails all the time.

Mtnbiker, I understand where you are coming from although the wilderness areas haven't been open to mountain bikes in over 50 years.

But many of the trails in my home town are getting the same stuff they are getting kicked out of areas. Their problem is guys pirating trails, not saying everyone does it but it's a process. The Mtn bikers get tired of one trail so they start a new one, then the dirt bikers wanna use it, so it gets completely tore up, 4 wheelers rode with some of the dirt bikers, pretty soon some of these trails have turned into full in 4x4 roads. Then everyone wonders why they are shutting down roads.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Wilderness and primitive areas need to stay just that. Alaska has continued with it's 'fat bike" explosion and more and more in the Kenai Moose Range (old name, I know) bikers are trespassing and breaking the law regarding wheeled vehicles.
Use a game cart to pack out a moose and you get a ticket; ride a fat bike get a high five.
I can and do write letters to my reps. Sounds like it's time for another one.

LaGriz

WKR
I'm down with leaving the Wilderness free of mountain bikes. I own one, also an ATV and a kayak. Enjoy using them where I can. However its hard for me to get all fired up on wilderness while Wyoming continues to shut me out with its non-resident hunter BS. I'm also about opportunity. I can hike, fish, even hunt grouse but not big game without a guide.

As for the Op-Ed link: I could do with out the rabid anti-trump message. I can watch MSNBC any time day and get that message. We could instead be dealing with a Clinton leadership and the elitist environmental groups associated with them. If that were the case, we might be talking about only seeing these areas on the Discovery Channel and never with a weapon in hand. I understand the issues are both deep and broad. But signing on with the Dems for 4 more years was out of the question for me. Had enough of the "bat-shit crazy liberal agenda" for a lifetime. I just wish republicans would stop asking the opposition permission to do what we voted them in office for in the first place..
LaGriz

Lawnboi

WKR
There was a lengthy thread on this a while back. I'm in the fence, as I can see both sides being an avid mountain biker.

IMO the trail damage, along with danger to others holds absolutely zero weight. Ever see the damage a horse does, or the danger that a horse poses that is spooked? Trail work? Mountain bikers do beyond thier share IMO, most trails are maintained by volunteers.

Personally, I'd like them to keep bikes out, let trails go back into the land in wilderness areas while allowing equal access. Ifwe won't allow bikes because we are worried about too many people, damage, and danger it's just us being greedy. I'm all for foot traffic only, I understand he value and heritage of horseback, but come on.

Lots of opinions and ideas on why bikes are bad, that are all total bull

You can't put the outlaw mountain bikers in the same group, you can point out the bad seeds in any sport

I won't argue, that's my opinion and it is what it is.

Last edited:
Most of the issues I have with this is: The area has been open to mountain bikes and now because the place turned to wilderness or proposed wilderness in some areas, I can not peddle there anymore. The example I stated before, are just that. They where legal to peddle and now they are not. It is just no fun to lose access to some of your prized trails, that you have rode for decades. The great burn is a classic case. It is remote, it does not see a lot of people and it was a good place to challenge yourself.

As far as trail erosion, as has been stated before, horses do way more than mtn bikes.

One of the reasons for the push to allow mountain bikes into wilderness, is what I have stated before. Lost access to trails. Not all wilderness areas will lend them selves to bicycles, but some will. People need remote places to push themselves and see what they are made of. They want to pull the 30 mile ride with 6000 feet of vertical elevation in a day. mile to sheep in the lionhead area is a good example. I Never saw a single person. But when the fs management plan comes up for renewal, I am sure mountain bikers will lose that. Like I said, it is just a big bummer to lose trail access, just because some one does not like a clean, quiet activity that does not match there personal beliefs.

Personally, we need another designation besides wilderness. One that protects but allows use.

Billinsd

WKR
Lots of bogus, hypocritical reasons that mountain biking is bad. The only valid one I see and it is a big one, is some A-holes possibly running hikers off the trail. I am not an avid mountain biker, but I support more mountain bikers in the mountains. This will NEVER pass, though. Too many enviromentalists and granola munchers would freak out. Mountain biking is politically incorrect very much as hunting is. In many of the public minds they are both just bad. I'll call my reps in favor of this. Thanks all!! Bill

Billinsd

WKR
Most of the issues I have with this is: The area has been open to mountain bikes and now because the place turned to wilderness or proposed wilderness in some areas, I can not peddle there anymore. The example I stated before, are just that. They where legal to peddle and now they are not. It is just no fun to lose access to some of your prized trails, that you have rode for decades. The great burn is a classic case. It is remote, it does not see a lot of people and it was a good place to challenge yourself.

As far as trail erosion, as has been stated before, horses do way more than mtn bikes.

One of the reasons for the push to allow mountain bikes into wilderness, is what I have stated before. Lost access to trails. Not all wilderness areas will lend them selves to bicycles, but some will. People need remote places to push themselves and see what they are made of. They want to pull the 30 mile ride with 6000 feet of vertical elevation in a day. mile to sheep in the lionhead area is a good example. I Never saw a single person. But when the fs management plan comes up for renewal, I am sure mountain bikers will lose that. Like I said, it is just a big bummer to lose trail access, just because some one does not like a clean, quiet activity that does not match there personal beliefs.

Personally, we need another designation besides wilderness. One that protects but allows use.
Absolutely!!! Mountain biking is becoming extinct like hunting is. The push is to keep people from pedaling in the backcountry and instead dumping their cars and pedaling in the city on streets because this is "greener" to do so.