Bikiini frame with small bag as carry on?

I think you be fine as long as the size nazis aren't checking. I take a 24" frame as a carry on with southwest all the time (weekly), but they have a 24" length limit. Several other airlines have a 22" limit. You'll likely have no issues but they could always check and be you know what's.

elkyinzer

WKR
To me that sounds pretty tight. The few times I've flown with my 20" Mystery Ranch NICE frame, it fits quite snug in an overhead compartment (US Air/ American), stuffed in lengthwise (perpendicular to the fuselage). Guess you could stuff it in the other way but seems like a dick move taking up that much already limited overhead compartment, if they even allow it on. You can always gate check what doesn't fit in but all my valuables are in my backpack and I hate separating from them.

Manosteel

WKR
I do it all the time with no issues. 26" bikini frame and several different bags from a HC7000 to a T3. I never have it full and always strap it down good. I have seen granola eating backpackers with 60L bags full on the plain so many times I figured keeping my personals in my kifarua and under 20lbs perfectly fine.

Kotaman

WKR
I"ve flown with my 26" Bikini with a T1, T2 and Mountain Warrior. It is too long, but has never been an issue. Mine also has always been in "daypack mode" so it is cinched down pretty well. Like Monosteel, I always see the granola munchers with their HUGE North Face packs stuffed to the gills get by, so I can't imagine the frame and a small bag would be an issue. But, always be prepared as it could be.

elkyinzer

WKR
I"ve flown with my 26" Bikini with a T1, T2 and Mountain Warrior. It is too long, but has never been an issue. Mine also has always been in "daypack mode" so it is cinched down pretty well. Like Monosteel, I always see the granola munchers with their HUGE North Face packs stuffed to the gills get by, so I can't imagine the frame and a small bag would be an issue. But, always be prepared as it could be.

Good point about the huge internal frame backpacks.

You guys should try granola some time, it's not half bad. It really loosens up the traffic jam in your colon after a couple days of mountain house!

Kotaman

WKR
Good point about the huge internal frame backpacks.

You guys should try granola some time, it's not half bad. It really loosens up the traffic jam in your colon after a couple days of mountain house!

In a pinch, a guy could always take the stays out to get "legal"...that's usually my "backup" plan.

Kind of tough to take the stays out of a bikini frame isn't it? Or do you know something I don't?

OP
W
I just found that there is a 22" limit. I think I will go with something else just in case. You can't remove the stays from the bikini with out ruining it.

Kotaman - no disrespect intended. Hope you read my comment as the banter I intended and not as a smarta$$ put down. I know how supportive and positive you are on the forums.

As far as the bikini frame for carry on luggage - I wish I could help and would like to know myself. I would be skeptical of doing it due to the size restrictions getting tighter. Sometimes gate checking an item at the last minute is OK and sometimes it gets tossed around worse due to hurried handlers.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you put pack where you can watch it in overhead rack and have all straps wrapped. It gets treated very bad by late comers on plane by jamming stuff next to it and moving to other bins and slamming the door on it. I had some choice words for a few passengers on last flight. A guy turned my pack sideways and tried slamming door on it with it sticking out 6 inches. Some see it as a hunting pack and have no respect for your possesions.

I've made it on Delta and Southwest no problem with my 26" Duplex and EMR-II with minimal gear inside, but I've also had some connections on little puddle jumper jets where you walk out on the tarmac to board and the overhead is tiny so everyone does the bag check at planeside. I just made sure everything was cinched up as best as possible on that and had no problems. Just be prepared. Removing stays isn't always a simple 2 minute task at the gate when they won't let you board.

Kotaman

WKR
Kotaman - no disrespect intended. Hope you read my comment as the banter I intended and not as a smarta$$ put down. I know how supportive and positive you are on the forums.

As far as the bikini frame for carry on luggage - I wish I could help and would like to know myself. I would be skeptical of doing it due to the size restrictions getting tighter. Sometimes gate checking an item at the last minute is OK and sometimes it gets tossed around worse due to hurried handlers.

None taken...I wasn't even thinking "Bikini" (glad you pointed it out actually) as most recently, I've been traveling with my Hunter Duplex. Until I get "busted" on the whole program, I will continue to travel with my 26" stays in the pack. I guess with the Bikini, if it was ever an issue, I would just gate check it but with the Duplex, I'll take the stays out. I just got back from Costa Rica and there were TONS of adventure goers on the flight with HUGE backpacks. Seems like most airlines give a back pack the benefit of the doubt still.