Biking vs running for cardio

P Carter

WKR
If you’re in pain—legit pain, not like a little stiffness — during or after running then something is probably wrong and you should consider going to a physical therapist to help figure it out. They’ll likely recommend some strength and mobility work to help it out.

Or, in my experience, running more frequently for less distance and then building up over time, while maintaining strength and mobility exercises, goes a long way towards warding off pain.

2rocky

WKR
The general rule of thumb is there is a 1:3 run-to-bike ratio, meaning one mile of running at a moderate effort equals three miles of cycling at that same effort level. Cycling 12 miles is the equivalent of running four miles, with both effort levels being the same in a very general sense for cardiovascular fitness.

I think hill climbing on a bike can take the place of speed work in running, but if you are looking for the most time efficient cardio workout (Get HR up in yellow and red zone for a designated amount of time) running is going to be one of the most efficient full body activities.

an alternative would be a HIIT class with Heart monitors. Orange Theory type stuff.

Find Your “Target Heart Rate” (THR)
Everyone needs to exercise at the correct heart rate to get the maximum cardiovascular benefit and stay safe. That’s what your target heart rate and training zone are. During exercise, most experts agree that you should exercise with a heart rate between 55-85 percent of your maximum heart rate. You can find lots of information about this online, but basically, here’s all you do.

Proper fitness helps you be ready to shoot from any position.
Say you are a 40 year old man. Subtract your age from 220. Take that number and multiply it by .55, then multiply the same number by .85. In this case, 220 – 40 = 180. 180 x .55 = 99. 180 x .85 = 157. This means that during exercise your heart needs to beat above 99 beats per minute to provide tangible aerobic benefit. In this example, 157 is 85 percent of the maximum heart rate; to stay safe, don’t exceed that. In my own training program, I try to get my heart beating at between 75-85 percent of my maximum.

You must also keep your heart rate in the training zone for a minimum of 20 minutes – but the longer you are “in the zone”, the faster your fitness level will improve. The exception is when doing interval training, in which you go all-out until you can go no more, then walk until the heart rate goes below the 55 percent of maximum level, then repeat a few more times.

It is important to note that achieving the minimum training effect – 20 minutes at or above your THR four times/week – is just that, the minimum. The longer and harder you train, within reason, the better shape you’ll be in. Just remember to start slowly and work your way up. In physical fitness, as in all good things in life, there are no short cuts. Only a sustained effort over time will produce the results you seek.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Lifelong runner and occasional biker here. 49.9 years old. I really enjoy biking as an addition to running when I have the right place. Last duty station I had a rails to trails path and would bike 25-30 miles on Saturdays with a couple 5-8 milers during the week. A 25 mile ride is great for cardio, especially with hills interspersed.

I bought my bike 16 years ago for around $600. I'm sure it would be twice that now but I bought the family Trek bikes a few years ago for around $500 each and they are fine for fitness bikes and will last a long time if taken care of. I have many rabbit holes but my bike hasn't been one of them. Occasional tune up after putting it in a moving van.

I have awful bike options now so my primary is weight training and secondary is running. I will bike again when I have safe access to long rides.

On running, I have no consistent pains but I do have occasional nagging pains.
- I don't run on concrete, period. Quick way to injury.
- I run on asphalt occasionally with dirt as my preference.
- I don't run on back to back days.
- I replace shoes quicker than I think I need to
- I watch my weight so I'm not pounding my knees with extra baggage.

I'm not running much right now but I've found 3-4 miles twice per week and 5-6 on weekends if enough for solid cardio condition when paired with weight training.

Mountain biking is fun which helps me stick to it and I have no problem getting my HR to zones 4 & 5 on a hilly single track. Running/jogging is still important to me as it toughens up joints and ligaments and is better for mental toughness, and is more time efficient. They both help a lot but neither can totally replace hiking

ZDR

WKR
After 39+ years of long distance running, I had my first knee surgery and that put an end to my running days. On the advice of my surgeon, I took up biking and now own a gravel bike plus a Mtn bike. My cardio fitness is the same and it has been wonderful for my knees. I think my overall leg strength is better as well. I use a Garmin bike computer and a heart rate strap. It’s a great training tool for cardio.

TxAg2017

FNG
I’m not an expert but you should be able to run relatively pain free unless you have prior injuries or something chronic like arthritis. With property stretching, nutrition and recovery techniques you should be able to manage a 3 day a week running routine pretty easily.

Personally when I have pain from running, I either have tightness above or below the point of pain (generally for me I get knee pain that feels like bad pain but it’s just from a tight quad) or there’s something wrong with my shoes or gait. Also it could be that you aren’t adapted to the mileage yet so use caution when increasing mileage to make sure you have proper adaptation. I think there’s nothing wrong with biking instead except that I think time on your feet can help your body be adapted to the time in the mountains which could easily be supplemented with rucking as well.

You could also consider some higher intensity running to get running in but not have the wear of steady state running for mileage. Best of luck in your training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to give up running over a mile or 2 because of a bad tendon in my ankle so i started riding a mtn bike and running hills. When I ride i make sure it's intense. I've been riding for 4 years and there's no doubt it's been better on my joints.

I mean if you're not opposed to joining a gym, an elliptical and stairmaster will work you just as hard if not harder than running without the impact on your joints. Fitness is a marathon game, if you're hurting you listen to your body and you work around your issues and find ways to make it work. You also have High Intensity Interval Training for cardio workouts. The worst thing you could do if you arent recovery properly is to keep pushing through it. Biking is great for building endurance in the legs, stationary is just as good cause you can increase the intensity with a button. Train hard but train smart.

TravisIN

WKR
I just recently picked up a mountain bike that I’m using on blacktop and gravel roads and occasionally some trails to supplement my running. I usually run 3 miles a day but I will get shin pain occasionally. The bike has been a lot of
fun bc I get to see more stuff and I’m definitely getting a different workout and much more of a leg workout.

Been running for several years and I really like it but damn it’s getting rough on my joints. Anybody bike for cardio instead of running? Just curious as to how and where I would start. I run between 3 and 5 miles 3 times a week. What would that equate to in biking?
When committed to a routine of 3 to 5 running miles per run, figure max 45 minutes per running day @ 3X per week.

If you switch to a mountain bike (pedal bike, whatever) will need to triple your time requirement (supposing same travel grade), which is a big variable.

My encouragement is to consider an assault bike or rower in favor of your time management. I say this because every week I do 5 or 6 Crossfit WODs incl Rogue assault bike & rowing + mountain bike (to/from) class + free weights.

Anyone is welcome to say otherwise, but the assault bike will kill your batteries first. And don't compare distance, compare time. If a guy can ride 80 minutes or run 40 minutes, great... then jump on a good quality assault bike and try to stay upright after 20 minutes.

In any case, I'd look at a rower or assault bike if I wanted to get the most done in the least amount of time. Can still do shorter runs to keep leg/foot muscles tuned and minimize bodily wear and tear.

I run 3.5-5 miles 3x a week, bike 15 miles 2x a week, and also do traditional weights and CrossFit. My joints/muscles are always sore so I started running at the local high school track and that surface change cut my pain in half.

Been running for several years and I really like it but damn it’s getting rough on my joints. Anybody bike for cardio instead of running? Just curious as to how and where I would start. I run between 3 and 5 miles 3 times a week. What would that equate to in biking?

I put on about 1,100 miles running in 2018 before my hip went out... started biking instead. Near as I can tell, with relatively stable elevation, a ten-mile run used to take me under 1.5 hours (low 8s pace) and torch about 2,000 calories. That same trail on a bike takes less than half the time (say 40 minutes) but only burns about 340 calories.

Unless you mix in some elevation, you’ll have to put in > 5 times the minutes for an equivalent workout. I use Strava to track my workouts (lack there of more recently!).

Ive found stair climbers to be a better use of time so once the gyms open back up I’ll start mixing that back into the week somehow.

I put on about 1,100 miles running in 2018 before my hip went out... started biking instead. Near as I can tell, with relatively stable elevation, a ten-mile run used to take me under 1.5 hours (low 8s pace) and torch about 2,000 calories. That same trail on a bike takes less than half the time (say 40 minutes) but only burns about 340 calories.

Unless you mix in some elevation, you’ll have to put in > 5 times the minutes for an equivalent workout. I use Strava to track my workouts (lack there of more recently!).

Ive found stair climbers to be a better use of time so once the gyms open back up I’ll start mixing that back into the week somehow.

Where are you at that the gyms haven’t opened back up!?!?

TravisIN

WKR
When committed to a routine of 3 to 5 running miles per run, figure max 45 minutes per running day @ 3X per week.

If you switch to a mountain bike (pedal bike, whatever) will need to triple your time requirement (supposing same travel grade), which is a big variable.

My encouragement is to consider an assault bike or rower in favor of your time management. I say this because every week I do 5 or 6 Crossfit WODs incl Rogue assault bike & rowing + mountain bike (to/from) class + free weights.

Anyone is welcome to say otherwise, but the assault bike will kill your batteries first. And don't compare distance, compare time. If a guy can ride 80 minutes or run 40 minutes, great... then jump on a good quality assault bike and try to stay upright after 20 minutes.

In any case, I'd look at a rower or assault bike if I wanted to get the most done in the least amount of time. Can still do shorter runs to keep leg/foot muscles tuned and minimize bodily wear and tear.

Yes an assault bike will beat your ass quicker than anything.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
I live in Michigan so I feel your pain on the opening back up.

I actually found a Schwinn air dyne on Facebook that I’m trying to get this guy to come down in price on. I’ve been slowly building up my running again and have gotten new shoes which have helped a lot.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
try a different surface- running (even hiking) on roads hurts me too; I avoid them like the plague

might want to look into a different shoe as well; lots of good options on well padded shoes (Hoka comes immediately to mind)

also shoes don't last forever, ~500 miles and mine get retired to lawn duty- they often still look fine, but as soon as I put a new pair on I realize how bad the old ones were