Bikini reflections

6t4nova

WKR
So I was able to get some miles in yesterday with my new bikini duplex and highcamp 7000. I tried Aron's on before I ordered mine, but yesterday was the first time hiking around with some weight in it. I went and chased some turkeys, so I decided to go with a full 7 day kit minus the extra clothes. Pack weigh was around 42 lbs or so. Here's my thoughts:

- Comfort!!! Thepack was extremely comfortable and handled everything very well.

- Size is perfect. The 7k bag is big and I actually only filled up half when using a large pocket on the side and having my spotter strapped to the outside of the bag. It compressed down well and I like having the extra room so that I can haul camp and meat out the same time. Oh yeah, did I mention how comfortable it is?!?!

- Quality is to be expected from Kifaru and I wouldn't change anything.

- I liked the small side to side movement the pack provides. I thought this helped with carrying the load better and making it more comfortable.

- Overall I love this pack. Can't wait to get some more miles on it. I am using the standard lid, medium belt pocket, and have 2 large pockets if needed.

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Great to hear! So the question is, how does it haul turkey??

Wish I knew! Haha. I hope to find out soon, but yesterday was a tad crowded to say the least. Only had 1/2 day to get out as my wife had an event yesterday afternoon so I was babysitting the little one.

The Bikini is incredibly comfortable. I have had over a dozen Kifaru packs and all are excellent. However, the carry and fit comfort of the Bikini is just incredible! I have about 100 miles of hiking and camping in mine.

So I was able to get some miles in yesterday with my new bikini duplex and highcamp 7000. I tried Aron's on before I ordered mine, but yesterday was the first time hiking around with some weight in it. I went and chased some turkeys, so I decided to go with a full 7 day kit minus the extra clothes. Pack weigh was around 42 lbs or so. Here's my thoughts:

- Comfort!!! Thepack was extremely comfortable and handled everything very well.

- Size is perfect. The 7k bag is big and I actually only filled up half when using a large pocket on the side and having my spotter strapped to the outside of the bag. It compressed down well and I like having the extra room so that I can haul camp and meat out the same time. Oh yeah, did I mention how comfortable it is?!?!

- Quality is to be expected from Kifaru and I wouldn't change anything.

- I liked the small side to side movement the pack provides. I thought this helped with carrying the load better and making it more comfortable.

- Overall I love this pack. Can't wait to get some more miles on it. I am using the standard lid, medium belt pocket, and have 2 large pockets if needed.

Thanks for the review. If you had time, i would love to see some picks of that pack ON YOUR BACK. It would e really helpfull as I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this combo. Front, side and rear views are what I'm looking for. THANKS!

WV Dan

FNG
Glad to here nothing but good reviews on this como, mine is due soon. With a thread name like bikini reflections I just had to look =-)

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
I'm 5'11'' 185 lbs for reference.

84C2E5B9-0F73-43FE-9277-DF7BB81D83C6-17752-00000F7653CDFB7C_zps71d94130.jpg

19C81036-F5E4-4541-9175-FED31B116D7C-17752-00000F764CA82BB4_zpsb30daa35.jpg

510D3953-707D-49A6-A452-52AC4E9B6673-17752-00000F76471AAA11_zps86e6a149.jpg

D571AF2B-D179-4E53-892F-628D33916C1F-17752-00000F763C42D066_zps114a8354.jpg

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
I got the 26" stays. Those pics are with my 7 days of gear, food, etc.

I could stuff with pillows and make it full.

I got the 26" stays. Those pics are with my 7 days of gear, food, etc.

I could stuff with pillows and make it full.

That would be very helpful as it looks like you have it compressed down quite a bit. Echo that- man that's small for a seven day trip, wow! If you don't mind me asking, did you measure your torso length when sizing the stays? If so, what length torso do you have? Thanks so much for the help!

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Its compressed down a lot. Yeah, it took some work and $$ to get down to that... ha! Without a doubt, the lighter and smaller it is the more expensive its going to be. I had everything in my pack except for an extra set of clothes. I used the large side pocket for my first aid kit, water filter, and a couple other odds and ends. The belt pocket will hold my PLB, GPS, havalon, and other items I may need quickly. I am actually thinking of not running the large side pocket on the outside, but instead just putting everything it in the main bag. It would still allow me to attach them to the outside when hauling larger loads.

I didn't measure my torso length, but I did go to Kifaru and try on some bags before ordering. My DT1 was also 26" stays. I'd rather have the long stays than the shorter ones.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like the longer stays for lift, and you can adjust the lifters down also. The catch with the 26 inch Bikini is if you aren't too tall (I am 5-9), you will hit the upper horizontal stay with the back of your head if you tilt your head back too far.

Last edited:
Its compressed down a lot. Yeah, it took some work and $$ to get down to that... ha! Without a doubt, the lighter and smaller it is the more expensive its going to be. I had everything in my pack except for an extra set of clothes. I used the large side pocket for my first aid kit, water filter, and a couple other odds and ends. The belt pocket will hold my PLB, GPS, havalon, and other items I may need quickly. I am actually thinking of not running the large side pocket on the outside, but instead just putting everything it in the main bag. It would still allow me to attach them to the outside when hauling larger loads.

I didn't measure my torso length, but I did go to Kifaru and try on some bags before ordering. My DT1 was also 26" stays. I'd rather have the long stays than the shorter ones.

Yes, lite=$!. If you do get a chance sometime to stuff it full and take a few pics it would be much appreciated! I'm going to try to get someone to post a few of the 4800 bag (on their back) full as well. I'm back and forth between the two but leaning toward the 7000 for the same reason you mentioned. Fitting meat in the pack with camp in there also. Your photos are helpful in that I'm close to your size.
Thanks!

chopchop

FNG
Does the belt pocket feel like it flops around? Having only one row of pals has me a little worried about how well stuff will ride on the belt.

(Not worried enough to not get one lol! I just didn't order any pockets for it.)

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Does the belt pocket feel like it flops around? Having only one row of pals has me a little worried about how well stuff will ride on the belt.

(Not worried enough to not get one lol! I just didn't order any pockets for it.)

I haven't really noticed it flopping around. Seems that the weight of the items you put in there holds it pretty steady.