Bingham Projects

I know there is at least one person on here who has built a bow using the Bingham Projects kits or components. Just wondering how it went and what tools you would say are "must have." Anything about it either the process or the final product that you weren't thrilled with? Thanks in advance.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
I've built a few, but it's been quite awhile. I would highly recommend giving Bingham a call. They are very helpful over the phone and will shoot you straight on what you need.

It's a good design. You will need a router to cut out the form. You can make one with hand tools, but it is a whole lot easier if you have a band saw. An oscillating spindle sander is the first power tool I would buy after a band saw. You should get a random orbital sander too as they are cheap. Be careful, it is addictive, then it gets really expensive. You probably should just go ahead and buy a couple of tricked out Blacktails with a couple extra sets of limbs and save yourself a lot of money!

OP
trouthunter1106
It's a good design. You will need a router to cut out the form. You can make one with hand tools, but it is a whole lot easier if you have a band saw. An oscillating spindle sander is the first power tool I would buy after a band saw. You should get a random orbital sander too as they are cheap. Be careful, it is addictive, then it gets really expensive. You probably should just go ahead and buy a couple of tricked out Blacktails with a couple extra sets of limbs and save yourself a lot of money!

It seems like tying flies. You justify doing it because it can save you a bunch of money. Now I've got a dozen or so dry fly saddles between $75 and $150 a pop. I could buy a loooooot of dry flies with that much money haha

Felix40

WKR
Bandsaw, belt sander, drill and a guide for takedown bolts, several rasps to include the smallest rat tail you can find for shaping string grooves, orbital sander is helpful but not needed, some type of clamps for laminating limb tips and any riser accents you add, saran wrap and painters tape for laminating process. That should pretty well do it. The bandsaw is the biggest time saver and also the easiest way to ruin one so buy a good one. Even a small belt sander will make shaping the riser a breeze. You will want both of those for making your press too. A drum sander with a jig can help keep the press nice and square when shaping it too.

The hardest part of the whole process is getting the limbs perfectly straight. They used to sell a dvd about the build process and it had good limb straightening instructions. I would use brown or black glass for my first try to save money in case they come out a little twisted.

The limb lamination process is stressful but very doable. Do a couple dry runs first. I added guides to my press to keep the lams from slipping side to side when the air hose is inflated. Tape the lams pretty tight and fill the hose slowly. Use less glue than you think, just enough to wet every surface.

If you live somewhere warm you can use your truck as an oven if you dont want to build one. Smooth on is pretty hard to screw up.

Dont get your limb tips real hot when you laminate them. It can delam your limbs or give you a milky spot under the glass.

All in all its a pretty easy process once you do it a time or two. With a halfway decent wood shop you can build one in a week or two.

Felix40

WKR
I forgot how long its been since I built my first one but it was before I could afford boots to elk hunt in if that gives you an idea. My current bow is the light colored zebrawood one and its going on 8 years old. Ive built a couple for friends and stuff since then but that should tell you that its possible to make a legit good shooting bow at home.

B747F239-DDB0-4C7B-BA97-0A449A87D325.jpeg6005D9B4-3EDE-4844-96D7-32F33F2677C5.jpeg2ED9E24A-9658-49F7-A586-BA79728C3A69.jpegB4A8DBED-A587-48DF-8F5A-B9AE99D5535A.jpeg379B10E2-34E6-4C19-B81B-8B1D9ED9D717.jpeg

Last edited: