Bino Advice

Slope77

FNG
Hi, new member here.

I have had a pair of Cabelas Alaska Guide 8x42 binos for nearly 20 years. They have been really good binos, but the eye cups aren’t staying up real well and I have a 15 year old that wants to start hunting.

So I have been lurking here and researching glass for several weeks. I mostly hunt whitetail and mule deer in western ND but plan to do some hunting in MT, WY and hopefully AK soon.

I purchased a pair of Sig Zulu9 9x45. I like them quite a bit - nice and clear and good low light performance. But they are big and heavy. I have a good harness for them, and they will work great for deer hunting in ND - relatively tame terrain. Dawn and dusk are critical. But because of their size, I know I will want another binocular, especially if I do some mountain hunting.

I also bought a set of Sig Zulu7 10x42, and they have confirmed for me that, for where I hunt, I want a 10x rather than 8x. While they are approximately as clear and perhaps better in low light than my old Alaska guides, they almost have excess eye relief - I can’t snug them into my eye sockets without the view blocking out. I will return them and have ordered a set of 10x42 Nikon Monarch HG. From the reviews, I think I will like them.

But I am second guessing myself. Instead of having a set of Zulu9 9x45 and Nikon MHG 10x42, could I go alpha and cover the same ground better?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes