Bino Choice for Missouri Breaks Mulies

I have Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and Nikon Monarch 12x42. I like the Vortex better. I assume that a 2 power difference isn't really significant and that I should just carry my preferred binos. Would I be better served by the 12x?

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and Nikon Monarch 12x42. I like the Vortex better. I assume that a 2 power difference isn't really significant and that I should just carry my preferred binos. Would I be better served by the 12x?
Great question - honestly, it really comes down to personal preference and what you're comfortable with! The other thing to consider is stability. As you increase magnification you are also increasing the amount of movement you see in a binocular. Some people are very comfortable holding 12x binos and some aren't.

Are you going to be running a spotting scope as well or just the binos?

I would take the 10 power. The breaks are about getting off your ass and walking. Especially if it's windy. They will hold down in the broken terrain.

S.Clancy

WKR
I would take the 10 power. The breaks are about getting off your ass and walking. Especially if it's windy. They will hold down in the broken terrain.
No, the breaks are about driving around on all the roads and crushing beer. At least that's what all the evidence left behind suggests....

BluMtn

WKR
I use 12x50 EL's for breaks hunting. 12's allow you to scan a lot of country before moving to the next coulee. And yes driving the roads in that goo will have you prying out mud and washing your pickup for at least 6 months. I have a utility trailer that I used three years ago and I am still finding that goo mud in some cracks.