Bino Comparison

I wanted to see if anyone has experience comparing the Vortex Viper, Vortex Diamondback HD, Maven C1, and the Athlon binos.

Im looking for a good pair in the $300-500 range. I realize low light performance may be lacking but would want to look for a model that excels in this area compared to others in this price range.

Thanks

Rodéo

WKR
If you're stuck on the ones you listed, like @ChrisAU said, BX-4 is the clear choice to my eyes and many others on this forum.

Best glass to my eyes right now in the $500 range are used/on sale Tract Toric's. I don't see myself selling my pair of Toric's for a long time, maybe not ever, as they are just that much better to be than everything I've looked through in the sub $700 class

nobody

WKR
I had the C1's through Amazon and was going to return them if they didn't hold up. I was able to compare them with the Vipers, Diamondback HD's, Razor HD's, Razor UHD's, and SLC 10x42's. I also have a good friend and hunting partner with the Athlon Argos 10x42's. Here are my conclusions after comparing.

As a whole, Vortex's optical quality WITH EXCEPTION OF THE RAZOR UHD'S should put them at a price point much lower than they are. I've never looked through a pair of Vortex anything and been that blown away. They just feel and look (optically) kindof cheap. I have a theory as to why that has to do with the warranty service they are known for and that they push so hard, but this is not the place to share that theory.

Maven's EASILY SMASH the Viper and everything below them. They have better color contrast and resolution than the Razor HD's, and cost about 30% what the Razor's do. Better edge to edge clarity, and no rolling ball/fisheye effect in the lens. I've never had that feeling worse than through the vipers and diamondbacks. The UHD's are a bit better optically, but feel like they're cheaply made. The glass is great and is a step up from the Maven's, but the build quality, in my opinion, is lacking for the price you pay.

As far as the SLC's go, they came in first. But I was impressed with how close the Maven's came for the money. No, they're not Swaro's, but my heck, they're hard to beat for the value!

The Athlon's have great color contrast, but we haven't been impressed with my buddy's in low light, early morning and late evening.

Bottom line, avoid the Vortex. Not worth what you pay for them, ESPECIALLY with Maven in the market. If you've got the money, buy the best and buy some Swaro's. For me, I would buy the Maven's 20 times over! They compete with stuff that costs 2-3 times as much without question, and many times they beat them out. Absolutely blown away with mine!

Assuming you're keen on a set of 10x42s, the Viper is a substantial upgrade over the diamondback, and for $350 used or so, is a fine bino (and any issues you have with it, can send in Vortex for cleaning/replacment etc). The Maven B3 in 6x30 is a great little unit but cant speak to the C1 or Athlon.

AGPank

WKR
Nikon has the Monarch HG refurbished units for $500. I can’t imagine touching anything of that quality for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Maven C1s and to me they are better than Vortex Vipers and noticeably better than the Diamondbacks. I have not compared them to Athlon, Meopta or the Leupold BX-4s.

ChrisAU

WKR
No love for the Meopta Meopro?

I found the glass in the Meopro's and BX4s to be close, but gave an edge to the BX4 in low light. The BX-4's have an ever so slight edge in weight, but more importantly the locking center diopter adjustment on the BX-4's is a huge plus for me. May not be as big of a factor for most people, but I have pretty different vision in my two eyes and absolutely love a locking center diopter adjustment. I've never had an eyepiece adjustment, locking or non, that I could keep in place.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Nikon has the Monarch HG refurbished units for $500. I can’t imagine touching anything of that quality for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Nikon deal ended Tuesday. But yeah, hands down best glass for the dollar. They run that deal a couple times a year it seems.
Tract had the Toric UHD 8x42's on sale for $500 at the same time. Another fantastic deal.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
If you're stuck on the ones you listed, like @ChrisAU said, BX-4 is the clear choice to my eyes and many others on this forum.

Best glass to my eyes right now in the $500 range are used/on sale Tract Toric's. I don't see myself selling my pair of Toric's for a long time, maybe not ever, as they are just that much better to be than everything I've looked through in the sub $700 class
Very helpful thank you! Looking for used BX4 potentially.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I had the C1's through Amazon and was going to return them if they didn't hold up. I was able to compare them with the Vipers, Diamondback HD's, Razor HD's, Razor UHD's, and SLC 10x42's. I also have a good friend and hunting partner with the Athlon Argos 10x42's. Here are my conclusions after comparing.

As a whole, Vortex's optical quality WITH EXCEPTION OF THE RAZOR UHD'S should put them at a price point much lower than they are. I've never looked through a pair of Vortex anything and been that blown away. They just feel and look (optically) kindof cheap. I have a theory as to why that has to do with the warranty service they are known for and that they push so hard, but this is not the place to share that theory.

Maven's EASILY SMASH the Viper and everything below them. They have better color contrast and resolution than the Razor HD's, and cost about 30% what the Razor's do. Better edge to edge clarity, and no rolling ball/fisheye effect in the lens. I've never had that feeling worse than through the vipers and diamondbacks. The UHD's are a bit better optically, but feel like they're cheaply made. The glass is great and is a step up from the Maven's, but the build quality, in my opinion, is lacking for the price you pay.

As far as the SLC's go, they came in first. But I was impressed with how close the Maven's came for the money. No, they're not Swaro's, but my heck, they're hard to beat for the value!

The Athlon's have great color contrast, but we haven't been impressed with my buddy's in low light, early morning and late evening.

Bottom line, avoid the Vortex. Not worth what you pay for them, ESPECIALLY with Maven in the market. If you've got the money, buy the best and buy some Swaro's. For me, I would buy the Maven's 20 times over! They compete with stuff that costs 2-3 times as much without question, and many times they beat them out. Absolutely blown away with mine!
Super helpful thank you. How are eye cups on Mavens compared to vipers?

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Assuming you're keen on a set of 10x42s, the Viper is a substantial upgrade over the diamondback, and for $350 used or so, is a fine bino (and any issues you have with it, can send in Vortex for cleaning/replacment etc). The Maven B3 in 6x30 is a great little unit but cant speak to the C1 or Athlon.
Thanks so much. I’m having a hard time finding used Vipers.

nobody

WKR

Eye cups feel MUCH better, and they are removable so you can clean the lenses if they ever get really dirty down in the mechanism. The eye relief is forgiving enough that I can use them without pulling the eye cups or pulled all the way out. They have very positive clicks that lock them into place, nothing mushy like with the vipers. And the focus knob also focuses very keenly and finely without any slop like the vipers.

nobody

WKR

Also, keep in mind you can order binos from Maven for a "test run" for 2 weeks and take them out and use them and test them against other stuff. At the end of two weeks, you either send them back to return or order a custom set, or you keep the demo pair for a 10% discount. If you're questioning, just order some on their demo program and test them out!

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
Eye cups and eye relief on par with the vipers?

The C1s have good eye cups and have a positive click when adjusting position. They also have good eye relief and can be used with or without glasses no problem. I dont wear glasses but I tested them by using them with my sunglasses on and could see through them no problem. I feel the C1s are optically better than the Vipers.