Bino Comparison

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Eye cups feel MUCH better, and they are removable so you can clean the lenses if they ever get really dirty down in the mechanism. The eye relief is forgiving enough that I can use them without pulling the eye cups or pulled all the way out. They have very positive clicks that lock them into place, nothing mushy like with the vipers. And the focus knob also focuses very keenly and finely without any slop like the vipers.
Got it really appreciate you insight.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Also, keep in mind you can order binos from Maven for a "test run" for 2 weeks and take them out and use them and test them against other stuff. At the end of two weeks, you either send them back to return or order a custom set, or you keep the demo pair for a 10% discount. If you're questioning, just order some on their demo program and test them out!
That sounds awesome!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
The C1s have good eye cups and have a positive click when adjusting position. They also have good eye relief and can be used with or without glasses no problem. I dont wear glasses but I tested them by using them with my sunglasses on and could see through them no problem. I feel the C1s are optically better than the Vipers.
Very helpful thank you!

nobody

WKR
Better light capability?

50's will gather more light. Apparently, according to something I was reading, 4-5 mm exit pupil is the optimum for your eye. Less than 4 mm and you won't get enough light, more than 5 and it's more light than your eye can process. The exit pupil is found by dividing the magnification (first number) into the objective lens diameter (second number). So, 10x50's have a 5 mm exit pupil, 10x42's have a 4.2mm exit pupil. ALL THINGS EQUAL, a 10x50 will have gather more light. But a 10x42 Maven c.1 will gather more light than a cheap Vortex 10x50. Glass quality also has lots to do with how much light gets through and the quality of the light/color refraction through the binos.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
50's will gather more light. Apparently, according to something I was reading, 4-5 mm exit pupil is the optimum for your eye. Less than 4 mm and you won't get enough light, more than 5 and it's more light than your eye can process. The exit pupil is found by dividing the magnification (first number) into the objective lens diameter (second number). So, 10x50's have a 5 mm exit pupil, 10x42's have a 4.2mm exit pupil. ALL THINGS EQUAL, a 10x50 will have gather more light. But a 10x42 Maven c.1 will gather more light than a cheap Vortex 10x50. Glass quality also has lots to do with how much light gets through and the quality of the light/color refraction through the binos.
Makes sense. Sounds like high exit pupil with quality glass should be good in low light.. Now the hard part finding a good used pair haha. Thanks again!

nobody

WKR
Makes sense. Sounds like high exit pupil with quality glass should be good in low light.. Now the hard part finding a good used pair haha. Thanks again!

no need to go used, only $380 through the demo program!

K-22

FNG
I wanted to see if anyone has experience comparing the Vortex Viper, Vortex Diamondback HD, Maven C1, and the Athlon binos.

Im looking for a good pair in the $300-500 range. I realize low light performance may be lacking but would want to look for a model that excels in this area compared to others in this price range.

Thanks
Nikon Monarch 7 Binos are great glass and well reviewed.
I have two pair. 8x42, and 10x42.
Right now, Fisherman’s Marine has them on sale for $399.
This is the cheapest I have ever seen them.
You will have to spend over $1000 to get any better.
Best,
Gary

I had the C1's through Amazon and was going to return them if they didn't hold up. I was able to compare them with the Vipers, Diamondback HD's, Razor HD's, Razor UHD's, and SLC 10x42's. I also have a good friend and hunting partner with the Athlon Argos 10x42's. Here are my conclusions after comparing.

As a whole, Vortex's optical quality WITH EXCEPTION OF THE RAZOR UHD'S should put them at a price point much lower than they are. I've never looked through a pair of Vortex anything and been that blown away. They just feel and look (optically) kindof cheap. I have a theory as to why that has to do with the warranty service they are known for and that they push so hard, but this is not the place to share that theory.

Maven's EASILY SMASH the Viper and everything below them. They have better color contrast and resolution than the Razor HD's, and cost about 30% what the Razor's do. Better edge to edge clarity, and no rolling ball/fisheye effect in the lens. I've never had that feeling worse than through the vipers and diamondbacks. The UHD's are a bit better optically, but feel like they're cheaply made. The glass is great and is a step up from the Maven's, but the build quality, in my opinion, is lacking for the price you pay.

As far as the SLC's go, they came in first. But I was impressed with how close the Maven's came for the money. No, they're not Swaro's, but my heck, they're hard to beat for the value!

The Athlon's have great color contrast, but we haven't been impressed with my buddy's in low light, early morning and late evening.

Bottom line, avoid the Vortex. Not worth what you pay for them, ESPECIALLY with Maven in the market. If you've got the money, buy the best and buy some Swaro's. For me, I would buy the Maven's 20 times over! They compete with stuff that costs 2-3 times as much without question, and many times they beat them out. Absolutely blown away with mine!
Looking to upgrade my diamondbacks and i feel like this post has swayed me to look more into the mavens!