Bino Dillema. I need some help

LBuchser

WKR
So this dilemma starts with a quick story.

In 2019 my best friend and I booked an AK Caribou hunt for August of 2021. Obviously we were super excited and started going through our gear; making lists of stuff we needed, upgrades we wanted to make and itemizing everything we would need. We did that about 30 times. One of the items I chose to invest into was my glass. I ended up selling a bunch of stuff to get the money together for some Leica Geovid 3200.coms. I loved the glass. Spent a lot of time programming it and getting to know the system and dialing it in with my rifle and scope (300PRC w/ Leupold VX6HD). Alaska finally happened and we spent 4 extra days on the ground than expected because we got weathered in and couldn't get extracted. On our 9th day there, my binos stopped ranging past 150yrds. Luckily it didn't cost me a kill but it still really bothered me. Fast forward a few months and I reached out to Leica and started a warranty claim. They said, send it in and we will get them taken care of! In February (I was lazy) "someone" (I'm not going to blame anyone) took them to USPS and shipped them to "Leica Sporting Optics" in New Jersey. The issue is, there was no insurance put on them. They made it to the New Jersey Distribution Center and never left "officially". I went round and round with USPS and they finally said there is nothing they would do! So I reached out to Leica and had them put the binos serial # on a watch list and now I need a set of binos to get me by until I can afford new Geovids because I loved those so much.

I don't need anyone pointing out the obvious about USPS or about insurance. BELIEVE ME that horse has been beat to death over and over and over. I need some suggestions.

I need a pair of binos to get me though till mid next year. No ALPHA GLASS! My budget is small because I'm saving for the Leicas. I saw Costco had a Leupold Rainier bino package. They are 10x42s. I assume they are probably a BX-2 but branded for Costco. Has anyone used them? They are $165. I just can't imagine they are terrible at that price.

Any other "value" priced binos that are decent?
Let me know!

20220917_102840.jpg

OMB

WKR
Get some Kowa BD II XD’s, $350ish. They won’t leave you wanting for much.
seconded, know someone that has these, they're actually kind of nice. Not Swaro's, but way better than anything Vortex or Leupold bino wise.

So this dilemma starts with a quick story.

In 2019 my best friend and I booked an AK Caribou hunt for August of 2021. Obviously we were super excited and started going through our gear; making lists of stuff we needed, upgrades we wanted to make and itemizing everything we would need. We did that about 30 times. One of the items I chose to invest into was my glass. I ended up selling a bunch of stuff to get the money together for some Leica Geovid 3200.coms. I loved the glass. Spent a lot of time programming it and getting to know the system and dialing it in with my rifle and scope (300PRC w/ Leupold VX6HD). Alaska finally happened and we spent 4 extra days on the ground than expected because we got weathered in and couldn't get extracted. On our 9th day there, my binos stopped ranging past 150yrds. Luckily it didn't cost me a kill but it still really bothered me. Fast forward a few months and I reached out to Leica and started a warranty claim. They said, send it in and we will get them taken care of! In February (I was lazy) "someone" (I'm not going to blame anyone) took them to USPS and shipped them to "Leica Sporting Optics" in New Jersey. The issue is, there was no insurance put on them. They made it to the New Jersey Distribution Center and never left "officially". I went round and round with USPS and they finally said there is nothing they would do! So I reached out to Leica and had them put the binos serial # on a watch list and now I need a set of binos to get me by until I can afford new Geovids because I loved those so much.

I don't need anyone pointing out the obvious about USPS or about insurance. BELIEVE ME that horse has been beat to death over and over and over. I need some suggestions.

I need a pair of binos to get me though till mid next year. No ALPHA GLASS! My budget is small because I'm saving for the Leicas. I saw Costco had a Leupold Rainier bino package. They are 10x42s. I assume they are probably a BX-2 but branded for Costco. Has anyone used them? They are $165. I just can't imagine they are terrible at that price.

Any other "value" priced binos that are decent?
Let me know!

View attachment 453209
Sounds like the perfect case to call Rolslide sponsor Doug at Cameraland

You could rent some glass too, get a chance to try some different glass without the price to buy. Just a suggestion

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Why not buy a used set of something decent? Most decent binos hold their value if in decent condition. Resell when you’re ready to upgrade.

Unckebob

WKR
They are a Costco exclusive that suspiciously look like their current $159 BX1 Mckenzie model.

While I don't have any particular experience, I have two pair of recent vintage (no longer made), cheap Yosemite BX1 porro prism binoculars I bought for college football games. Frankly, they are much better than I expected and I even took them on a hunt in place of my heavier, significantly better Vortex binos and they performed outstanding.

If they perform as well as mine do, I think you'll like them. Having sad that, would probably chip in for the BX-2s with plans to resell them if you don't want to keep them. In my experience, Leupold's great warranty makes their optics easy to sell them on ebay. If you buy from Amazon, they have a great return policy,

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve also got a pair of the Kowa BD II. Mine are 6.5x32 and perfect for one of my particular needs. Maybe not enough power for what you are seeking, but if you can make something work for now that isn’t redundant to the alpha glass you will eventually get, that might be an option.