Bino harness… again

BigRiver

FNG
I going to start out apologizing if this exact topics been discussed I’m relatively new here, I’m looking at two particular harnesses the Kuiu Pro,(I know I know) and Marsupial Enclosed, I want a compact harness that is front opening. 90% of the time it will be used for eastern hunting mostly whitetail, I have a Rick young but like to be able to keep small items handy in the harness (sd card checker, trail cam keys etc) I currently have a AGC and do not like the bulk and lid. Currently I Carry bx4s will be getting Mavens 7x45.
My priority’s are 1.sound 2.Bino fit. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Marsupial enclosed is a fixed size, and robust. I love mine. I wouldn’t call it compact though. It isn’t super deep which is nice, so doesn’t feel bulky.

I don’t think the Kuiu pro is going to be dramatically different size wise. But it isn’t nearly as modular, isn’t made in the USA, and frankly the marsupial crew is just awesome to deal with. Kuiu…..not as much.

I’d take a look at the stone glacier harness if you want forward opening and compact. It’s just so much lighter and less of a footprint. You’d have to eval the noise factor in person likely, hard to know what’s “too much” for someone on that front.

OP
BigRiver

BigRiver

FNG
Marsupial enclosed is a fixed size, and robust. I love mine. I wouldn’t call it compact though. It isn’t super deep which is nice, so doesn’t feel bulky.

I don’t think the Kuiu pro is going to be dramatically different size wise. But it isn’t nearly as modular, isn’t made in the USA, and frankly the marsupial crew is just awesome to deal with. Kuiu…..not as much.

I’d take a look at the stone glacier harness if you want forward opening and compact. It’s just so much lighter and less of a footprint. You’d have to eval the noise factor in person likely, hard to know what’s “too much” for someone on that front.

First I’ve seen of the stone glacier, may have to give that one a go, when it’s back in stock, thanks!

Finch

WKR
I had a rick young but went with a marsupial gear enclosed version. I love that thing. Very well designed and high quality. I actually just watched one of their ads waiting for a hunting video to load and I made the cut in the video giving a testimonial.

IBEWJMFL

FNG
I can’t speak on the kuiu. but I switched from a Alaska guide creations to the marsupial this year and I love how much thinner it is to the Alaska. It has all the pouches and things needed and nothing extra to get in the way.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the kuiu pro size large for a pair of 10x42's for almost a year now and have used it a lot. It is very compact, quiet, and comfortable, but there is very little room in the pockets. I have a windchecker on one side and three diaphragm calls on the other and they can be hard to get out of the pockets. The zippered pocket is so small it's useless in my opinion. There is an additional pouch you can add to the bottom for more space.

There is a technique to quickly and quietly get your binos in or out one handed and the pockets have a technique also but once you figure it out it's great for a light and super comfortable harness. I had a vortex harness strap style bino holder and the kuiu causes much less fatigue.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

I‘m primarily an eastern whitetail hunter. I been using the open Marsupial for several years. Really like it. My only complaint was that it was open. With that issue solved I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one if something happens to mine. I dont do much of any navigation but the little I did I held my gps out a bit from magnet closure. They do now offer one without the magnet closure.

LostArra

WKR
Stupid question for Friday
What is the advantage/disadvantage of "open" vs "enclosed" Marsupial pack?
The open model still covers the eyepieces when the pack is shut? Correct?
Is the "enclosed" an OCD thing regarding dust?

I've used Rick Young harness for years and love the simplicity when I need a quick glance at a deer with a bow in one hand. I'm considering one of these chest packs for my elk hunting simply to get my rangefinder in a little more convenient location. Maybe I just need a rangefinder pack of some sort.

renagde

WKR
Marsupial. Switched from the Outdoor Vision to the Marsupial due to upgrading my optics. Both excellent, can't say I prefer one over the other, although the buckle delete kit on the Marsupial is pretty cool. Allows you to carry the harness up high on the chest which seams more comfortable for me. Outdoor Vision includes a rain cover and first aid kit which is a nice bonus. The Marsupial seems a bit more rigid and holds its shape a little better which makes it easier to set the optics back in the harness after use. I do like Outdoor Visions range finder pouch better though; really it's a toss up.

ChrisAU

WKR
I really like the Outdoor Vision for Eastern whitetail because when open in the stand the lid becomes a little shelf. Perfect to set the phone in quickly and quietly with low movement when deer appear. Edit to add, I also really like the OV rangefinder pouch over the Marsupial because of the gaps on the side that allow you to grab the body of the rangefinder.

That said - I still use an AGC for out west because I don't want magnets interfering with my compass and when I'm backpack hunting I like the ability of the AGC to hold a bunch of extra crap.

Stupid question for Friday
What is the advantage/disadvantage of "open" vs "enclosed" Marsupial pack?
The open model still covers the eyepieces when the pack is shut? Correct?
Is the "enclosed" an OCD thing regarding dust?
I personally own both and I prefer the enclosed version. Yes the open sided version provides "some" protection but the top lid doesn't sit firmly against the eye piece so they do still get dusty and some moisture when its snowing or raining. Just my 2cents

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from the Marsupial to the Kuiu Pro. Reason being that the Marsupial had magnets in it and the Kuiu didn't. Spent 2 hours walking in circles in the dark trying to figure out why my compass wouldn't take a steady bearing: the magnets in the bino harness were messing with it.

Beyond that though they were both about the same for me in terms of functionality, fit, etc.

I love my Sitka Bino Bivy, but I think it has been discontinued. I also tried Horn Hunter and Alaska Guide Creations and ended up liking the Sitka best. I'm not too crazy about the latest Sitka offering with the different pouches.

OP
BigRiver

BigRiver

FNG
I switched from the Marsupial to the Kuiu Pro. Reason being that the Marsupial had magnets in it and the Kuiu didn't. Spent 2 hours walking in circles in the dark trying to figure out why my compass wouldn't take a steady bearing: the magnets in the bino harness were messing with it.

Beyond that though they were both about the same for me in terms of functionality, fit, etc.

I’ve read that the kuiu harness as a somewhat sloppy fit with binos inside? Did you find this to be true compared to the marsupial? the magnets are my biggest holdup at this point I would love to buy the marsupial made in the USA, most of my spots are a mile plus in and I use onX exclusively no trail racks or markers or head lamps and have found this issue when a pair glove I had used magnets to hold the index finger flap back, daylight comes and I’ve done circles for the past hour(unimpressed to say the least). I know marsupial makes a the No Mag but I’ve found little info on it.

Agross

WKR
I have and like both the fhf and a marsupial. Tried the agc, returned it immediately. Didnt care for it at all.

KHNC

WKR
I have really liked my FHF for last 6 years. I would stay away from T&K, mostly because i dont like the guy and its not better than FHF, IMO. Marsupial looks good, but FHF still seems to cover all the bases and has proven to last for me. And hunt from August-Feb every year all over the country, in all types of weather. Also use it in archery comps during the off season.