Bino harness… again

Marsupial open style for me. I like it a lot but you can’t store much more than binoculars in it. I’ve got a wind checker, cigarette lighter, lens cloth and a little fire starter in the pockets and it wouldn’t hold much more than that.

JayDK

FNG
I’m currently looking to buy my first bino harness and RF pouch. Most of my hunting is in the southeast on public land (wooded and hilly). I really like how the Kuiu, Marsupial, and OV open back to front. Based on what I have read, I think I am definitely leaning toward the marsupial enclosed. I like the OV, but it seems like some people have issues with the lid staying closed/secure. Does anyone with the OV find that to be the case?

At the end of the day you are talking about a bino pocket, some side pockets for wind checker calls etc. The big difference is do you archery hunt and want a pocket for your range finder? The ranger finder pocket adds the bulk feel to AGC. Marsupial has a compelling story but I both archery hunt and rifle hunt. I tend to hold my bow in front of my for cover and like being able to grab my range finder with minimal movement. I do however wish my bino lid opened the same as marsupial gear but I have no problems with one handed use.

Part of the Marsupial gear promo reminded of late night infomercials with people over acting exaggerating another products "short comings" comparing a bino harness you didn't bother to adjust properly to a properly adjusted marsupial as funny at best. At the end of the day though it was a pretty good promo.

Also as most of us probably have started using our phone for hunting in some form, I have found the back pocket on the AGC a perfect spot for my phone. It was always a pain with my backpack on to try and reach into my pocket for my phone. Waist belt really interferes with the pocket opening.

JPatzig

FNG
Another vote for Marsupial, just finish an elk hunt with them. Didn't realize they have an enclosed pack though, that's nice.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve read that the kuiu harness as a somewhat sloppy fit with binos inside? Did you find this to be true compared to the marsupial? the magnets are my biggest holdup at this point I would love to buy the marsupial made in the USA, most of my spots are a mile plus in and I use onX exclusively no trail racks or markers or head lamps and have found this issue when a pair glove I had used magnets to hold the index finger flap back, daylight comes and I’ve done circles for the past hour(unimpressed to say the least). I know marsupial makes a the No Mag but I’ve found little info on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't noticed a fit issue with my Zeiss 8x42's, definitely not sloppy. The Kuiu comes with foam shims to put in the bottom to take up space if needed. I'd say the fit was about the same in Marsupial that I had. One of my spots was 2.5 miles in from the road and I never noticed a problem.

Come to think of it, I actually like the Kuiu better because you can put the hydration rig on the back...I forgot about that thing. For quick/shorter hunts, I'll just throw some essentials in there and I'm good to go. No need for a pack and don't have to load up my pockets.

JayDK

FNG
At the end of the day you are talking about a bino pocket, some side pockets for wind checker calls etc. The big difference is do you archery hunt and want a pocket for your range finder? The ranger finder pocket adds the bulk feel to AGC. Marsupial has a compelling story but I both archery hunt and rifle hunt. I tend to hold my bow in front of my for cover and like being able to grab my range finder with minimal movement. I do however wish my bino lid opened the same as marsupial gear but I have no problems with one handed use.

Part of the Marsupial gear promo reminded of late night infomercials with people over acting exaggerating another products "short comings" comparing a bino harness you didn't bother to adjust properly to a properly adjusted marsupial as funny at best. At the end of the day though it was a pretty good promo.

Also as most of us probably have started using our phone for hunting in some form, I have found the back pocket on the AGC a perfect spot for my phone. It was always a pain with my backpack on to try and reach into my pocket for my phone. Waist belt really interferes with the pocket opening.
Good insight for sure. Fortunately, I have not seen the marsupial “infomercial”.
I do bow hunt, so I am drawn to a side mount for the RF (in theory).

Eyeman

FNG
I use the kuiu early model.
A couple Hunt buddies have switched to the marsupials.
They look good. Thinking about them.

renagde

WKR
I’m currently looking to buy my first bino harness and RF pouch. Most of my hunting is in the southeast on public land (wooded and hilly). I really like how the Kuiu, Marsupial, and OV open back to front. Based on what I have read, I think I am definitely leaning toward the marsupial enclosed. I like the OV, but it seems like some people have issues with the lid staying closed/secure. Does anyone with the OV find that to be the case?
That's never been a problem for me.

I feel like the magnets messing with a compass problem is overblown. I never had that problem. How close does a magnet have to be to mess with a compass? I've always used the one on my phone and my Garmin Fenix and never had any issues.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
That's never been a problem for me.

I feel like the magnets messing with a compass problem is overblown. I never had that problem. How close does a magnet have to be to mess with a compass? I've always used the one on my phone and my Garmin Fenix and never had any issues.
In my experience it caused an issue with my Suunto and Brunton compass. Just holding it normally with bino harness on caused me problems. In order to get an accurate bearing I had to turn my body basically 180 degrees and hold the compass out behind me.

From a functionality standpoint on the harness, the magnetic/non magnetic closure makes no difference to me. They both did what they needed to do. I prefer to non magnetic and not be worried about getting turned around. To each his own, just sharing my experiences. YMMV.

renagde

WKR
In my experience it caused an issue with my Suunto and Brunton compass. Just holding it normally with bino harness on caused me problems. In order to get an accurate bearing I had to turn my body basically 180 degrees and hold the compass out behind me.

From a functionality standpoint on the harness, the magnetic/non magnetic closure makes no difference to me. They both did what they needed to do. I prefer to non magnetic and not be worried about getting turned around. To each his own, just sharing my experiences. YMMV.
I think Kuiu might be the only harness that has the forward opening design without magnets. I might be wrong but off the top of my head I can't think of any others. I've always wanted to try the Kuiu but found a good deal on the Marsupial so that's what I went with. Also Made in USA for close to the same price.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu constantly pulls the rubber eye cups off my ELs when trying to open with just one hand. Poor design with the stiff rod in the lid. I have a friend who I hunt with who has the same issue. You have to hold the peach with one hand while pulling the lid up and the. Off with the other. Not good for archery.

I think Kuiu might be the only harness that has the forward opening design without magnets. I might be wrong but off the top of my head I can't think of any others. I've always wanted to try the Kuiu but found a good deal on the Marsupial so that's what I went with. Also Made in USA for close to the same price.

Stone Glacier does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

prm

WKR
I much preferred Marsupial to Kuiu. The Kuiu is not very compact at all. Actually quite wide, or deep I should say.

Marsupial now offers a nonmagnet option.

Mossing

FNG
I’ve been shopping for a new enclosed non magnetic harness too. Currently run a fhf with my leupold bx4. But I upgraded to swaros and wanted a fully enclosed harness with no magnets. Problem is the two brands I like Marsupial and T & K don’t make rangefinder pouches without magnets. I don’t really understand the logic of producing a non magnetic bino harness but not offering a non magnetic rangefinder pouch that all bow hunters use

disciple2

FNG
I have used the Badlands Bino XR harness for the last 3 years. I switched to that after using the Kuiu harness. The Badlands opens the right way, magnets hold it both closed, and in the open position, quiet materials, and an easy to use strap system.