Bino Harness with Specific Features...

nobody

WKR
Good morning All! I've appreciated the help on a couple of my other posts and questions. Great group here! I'm looking for an upgrade to my binocular harness and was hoping some of you guys could maybe lend some guidance. I've spent some time using the search function and can find lots of examples of good harnesses, but none seem to have what I'm looking for. Hoping you guys can help!

For reference, I run Maven C1 10x42's. Below is what I'm looking for in a harness.

I want it to be dust proof. Has to be low profile, and the binoculars need to have a "safety tether" to catch them if they fall while in use. Has to have a wider spread on the upper straps to it doesn't pull on my neck/traps. Must be operable with one hand. Waterproof/resistant would be nice. A couple of pockets for some diaphragm calls and windicator is a must. Not required, but I would love if it opened away from my body.

It seems everything I find is some of these things but not all. I really don't want to have to thread a plastic buckle onto my binoculars. I have had those things, too many experiences with them breaking and coming apart when they are constantly done up and un done. I am good with any of these that I could replace the buckle with an S-Biner time clasp that I can attach to the 550 cord loop on my binos. I like the 550 cord so I can potentially change over to my Crooked Horn Bino System for simple drives or summer glassing over holidays at places like Antelope Island for buffalo.

I've tried a few different ones in order to come to these conclusions and decide what I do and don't want. Below is what I have used and what it was lacking for MY uses.

1. Gearak: Easy to use one handed, DWR treated, good pockets, but it was freaking GIANT on my chest and its straps were way too narrow and pulled on my neck, no matter how I adjusted it.
2. Badlands Bino X and Bino Z: X was close, but it was FREAKING GIANT. And it didn't have small elastic pockets to hold my windicator for quick access.
3. OPW BInobro Prohunter: This one was really close. But this was the one that proved to me that I have got to have a small elastic tether to catch the binos in case of falling. Oh and it's basically impossible to replace the binos one handed/quickly.
4. Crooked Horn Bino Solution Kit: I use the magnum harness straps. The straps are legitimately the most comfortable of anything I've tried. But the Bino Shield is really giant/sloppy and has zero usable storage (let's be real, the zipper pocket is pretty much useless when it comes to quick access).

Below are the ones I'm considering. I'm open to others as long as they meet my above criteria.

Marsupial Gear OG (2020 Version)
Kuiu
Alps Xtreme RMEF or Regular
MAYBE ADAK (It is intriguing, but it looks like it's giant.)

Thanks everyone for your help in advance!

AGPank

WKR
I would add Outdoor Vision Ridgetop to your list to review. If you are very particular, get one closest to your needs and modify as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
the new marsupial

I have badlands, original KUIU, FHF, original marsupial, and rick young.
The KUIU is not a 1 handed bino pouch.
The FHF opens the wrong way and the flap is a pita; also not 1 handed.
Original marsupial has openings but works fine 1 handed.

Brendan

WKR
Add Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak Cub to your list. Can't remember what they're using for the most recent harness as mine was old, but I put a Marsupial Harness on my AGC. Before that, just used paracord tethers for my binos.

If it matters to you, magnets in the Marsupial definitely mess with any compass. I'm still using it this year, unsure if I'll go back to my AGC.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I would add Outdoor Vision Ridgetop to your list to review. If you are very particular, get one closest to your needs and modify as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of them, I'll check it out. Size is one of the biggest requirements, I'm sick of having a giant backpack sized pack on my chest haha.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
the new marsupial

I have badlands, original KUIU, FHF, original marsupial, and rick young.
The KUIU is not a 1 handed bino pouch.
The FHF opens the wrong way and the flap is a pita; also not 1 handed.
Original marsupial has openings but works fine 1 handed.

This is helpful, appreciate your input on all of the ones you've tried! Marsupial is number 1 on the list, just not sure how I feel about the tethers that tie the binos to the harness is my only thing...

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Add Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak Cub to your list. Can't remember what they're using for the most recent harness as mine was old, but I put a Marsupial Harness on my AGC. Before that, just used paracord tethers for my binos.

If it matters to you, magnets in the Marsupial definitely mess with any compass. I'm still using it this year, unsure if I'll go back to my AGC.

Compass stays in my pack and I'll just be careful holding it away from my body. But it is good to keep in mind.

Curious, the AGC's look like they're freaking giant. Even the ones that "fit" binoculars the same size as mine have almost enough space to fit them in there twice. Are they just a bigger harness width wise and depth wise?

wapitibob

WKR
I have 12x50 Leica trinovid BN in the original Med marsupial. The binos are 7.5" with eye caps extended and I have 1/2" space above them for the lid.

Brendan

WKR
Compass stays in my pack and I'll just be careful holding it away from my body. But it is good to keep in mind.

Curious, the AGC's look like they're freaking giant. Even the ones that "fit" binoculars the same size as mine have almost enough space to fit them in there twice. Are they just a bigger harness width wise and depth wise?

If you go AGC, go with the Kodiak Cub for 10x42. My 10x42 Swaro EL Barely fits - perfect. It doesn't feel any bigger to me than the marsupial, but the front pocket does extend away from your body slightly.

Size comparisons for you: Marsupial has the binos, AGC empty:

0b2352a5d4537dead375a0b92b374a39.jpg
ef499851166d6f70eccbb6822fbfd802.jpg

OP
N

nobody

WKR
If you go AGC, go with the Kodiak Cub for 10x42. My 10x42 Swaro EL Barely fits - perfect. It doesn't feel any bigger to me than the marsupial, but the front pocket does extend away from your body slightly.

Size comparisons for you: Marsupial has the binos, AGC empty:

0b2352a5d4537dead375a0b92b374a39.jpg
ef499851166d6f70eccbb6822fbfd802.jpg

thank you Brendan! This is actually super helpful. You said yours is the Kodiak Cub?

How does the AGC hang off your chest? Which one do you feel rides better? Sorry for all the questions, I want to do this once.

Brendan

WKR
thank you Brendan! This is actually super helpful. You said yours is the Kodiak Cub?

How does the AGC hang off your chest? Which one do you feel rides better? Sorry for all the questions, I want to do this once.

Yes, mine is the Kodiak Cub. They hang pretty much identical, but that's because I'm using a Marsupial Harness on my AGC. I know AGC has made changes to the harness, but mine was purchased back in 2014 or so, and I'd preferred the Marsupial harness design at the time.

AGC Notes: My 10x42 Swaro EL's are snug, not a lot of extra space. No Magnets. I like the flexible webbing on the top of the pouch for mouth reeds. The back pocket zips, Marsupial does not. With a rangefinder or other gear in the front pocket, it does extend a couple inches further out from your body.

I am trying the Marsupial this year, but won't have extensive time in the field to compare until at least end of October.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Yes, mine is the Kodiak Cub. They hang pretty much identical, but that's because I'm using a Marsupial Harness on my AGC. I know AGC has made changes to the harness, but mine was purchased back in 2014 or so, and I'd preferred the Marsupial harness design at the time.

AGC Notes: My 10x42 Swaro EL's are snug, not a lot of extra space. No Magnets. I like the flexible webbing on the top of the pouch for mouth reeds. The back pocket zips, Marsupial does not. With a rangefinder or other gear in the front pocket, it does extend a couple inches further out from your body.

I am trying the Marsupial this year, but won't have extensive time in the field to compare until at least end of October.

Gotcha. Sounds good, it's still good feedback. I appreciate your help! They seem to be of similar quality.

How are the tethers that tie the binos to the harness? Can you unthread the buckles and replace with an S-Biner or something similar?

Brendan

WKR
Gotcha. Sounds good, it's still good feedback. I appreciate your help! They seem to be of similar quality.

How are the tethers that tie the binos to the harness? Can you unthread the buckles and replace with an S-Biner or something similar?
This is the Marsupial design, it works well. You can always just run paracord or something else.

c35817cb70e4861d08ac21ef4e804ef1.jpg
993edf0d6627627b4bb690c0a48ce25f.jpg

I can only comment from experience on Marsupial Gear's bino harness, but it has most of the features you're looking for:
  • I want it to be dust proof.
    • I'd say the MG is as dustproof as any other harness, especially if you get the "full enclosure" model with taller sidewalls.
  • Has to be low profile
    • ✓ MG is about as sleek and low profile as you could ask for.
  • binoculars need to have a "safety tether" to catch them if they fall while in use
    • Not sure about this. I bought my MG secondhand and it didn't come with a tether, but you could fashion your own tether pretty easily with a length of Dyneema or paracord and a small carabiner clip.
  • Has to have a wider spread on the upper straps to it doesn't pull on my neck/traps.
    • My MG fits me comfortably, but I'm a pretty small guy so YMMV.
  • Must be operable with one hand.
    • ✓ MG can be operated with one hand.
  • Waterproof/resistant would be nice.
    • I'd say the MG is water resistant but not fully waterproof.
  • A couple of pockets for some diaphragm calls and windicator is a must.
    • ✓ MG has a large stretch pocket on the back, small stretch pockets on either side, and a small zip pocket on the front.
  • Not required, but I would love if it opened away from my body.
    • ✓ MG opens away from the body (and has magnets to hold the lid in the open position).

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Thanks for everybody's help! I was originally leaning towards the Marsupial, but I spent some time on the phone with the guys at Alaska Guide Creations yesterday and I ended up going that direction. They're local to me and seem like a good group of guys, and I like that the sides are enclosed to protect from dust. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

rj2

WKR
I got a binobro pro and a few little mods fixed the issues with it, perfect now. Felt lined kydex to hold it open and some quick attach tethers.

20201126_215036.jpg

prm

WKR
How have the AGCs worked out for you? I found them to be very well made, but a bit too much for me. I do not like bulk on my chest. I have settled on a small FHF for now.

The one that has my attention at the moment as a simple bino harness is the new Stone Glacier pack.

I just picked up an Adak to try out over the AGC I’ve used for the last few years. I always liked everything about the AGC except for the bulkiness of it. The Adak cuts out the bulk has a couple pockets for wind checker or calls. One of the things I really like about the AGC is the pocket on the back I always kept my tags and a pen in there I think I’ll miss that but we’ll see how it works out.

Kotaman

WKR
The new Stone Glacier harness checks all my boxes in the quest for the perfect harness. I’ve used them all and this one is my favorite I think.

Reactions: prm