Bino Harness

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I see many posts about how awesome bino harnesses are and how people can’t live without them but is there anyone else out there like me that has tried and absolutely hated them? The way some rave about them makes me think I’m doing something wrong. Admittedly, I’ve only personally owned the eberlestock scout bino pack and only tried a handful of others from friends. Brand being irrelevant, I don’t think I’d ever get used to any pack on my chest and just keep going back to slinging a strap over my shoulder and spinning it under my arm to my side as needed. Maybe I just haven’t tried the right harness yet?

fbhandler

WKR
For me, the move to an actual harness from a rick young ultralight was easy as I was already carrying my binos up front. The harness (fhf) eliminated the bouncing, and provided not only protection from the elements but a very convent place for me to carry my phone. I’m always checking my maps on that thing, and I don’t like carrying it in any of my pants pockets... It definitely is a give/take situation but I’d never be able to just sling my binos over my shoulder so it was a pretty clear choice.

Ps. I tried a few different harnesses and the fhf being the most minimal I definitely liked better

OP
kevlar88

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks handler. The Rick Young was going to be my next try, did you experience a lot of bouncing with it? If so, maybe I can find another bare harness without a "pack" to give a try.

karltime

FNG
I got the marsupial gear harness. For 10 years before that it was the straps. It's a game changer for me. No more binos bouncing or moving around why I'm hunting or hiking. I never liked the idea of a bino harness where the lid would automatically flop back down after you got your binos out, so opening from closer to the chest down is why I got them. They've helped a lot, even got a rangefinder pouch right next to them.

OP
kevlar88

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
thanks Karl, I'll give them a look. I really like the idea of opening out as well, that's why I originally went with Eberlestock. Really just don't feel like I gained anything but bulk and loss of maneuverability with a harness.

Last edited:

fbhandler

WKR
Thanks handler. The Rick Young was going to be my next try, did you experience a lot of bouncing with it? If so, maybe I can find another bare harness without a "pack" to give a try.

I did... not so much on the flat stuff but going up hill quite a bit. I tried running from real high to real low and everything in between. Anther thing to consider at least where I’m at is keeping your binos half way clean. Lots of dust and rain, so at a minimum I would need to run lens covers... might as well be in a pouch, it’s actually a lot faster and more convenient.

Last edited:

fbhandler

WKR
I got the marsupial gear harness. For 10 years before that it was the straps. It's a game changer for me. No more binos bouncing or moving around why I'm hunting or hiking. I never liked the idea of a bino harness where the lid would automatically flop back down after you got your binos out, so opening from closer to the chest down is why I got them. They've helped a lot, even got a rangefinder pouch right next to them.

I tried the marsupial but opted for the fhf myself. I can always tuck the flap in and run it essentially the same as the open marsupial. But what wasn’t readily apparent was that during bad weather you have to manually close that pouch off unless you wanted a bunch of snow and rain in there. With the out facing flap on the fhf it keeps the pouch covered automatically which for me is kinda the point anyway.

PS... I’ve never had an issue inserting or retrieving em one handed either...YMMV

karltime

FNG
I tried the marsupial but opted for the fhf myself. I can always tuck the flap in and run it essentially the same as the open marsupial. But what wasn’t readily apparent was that during bad weather you have to manually close that pouch off unless you wanted a bunch of snow and rain in there. With the out facing flap on the fhf it keeps the pouch covered automatically which for me is kinda the point anyway.

PS... I’ve never had an issue inserting or retrieving em one handed either...YMMV

That's a good point. I don't do much four wheeling or open air riding around with my binos so not much dust. I'm usually just hiking. For that, the marsupial gear has two open areas on each side that probably wouldn't protect against dust getting in. I've had them in blizzards and haven't had much issue with snow getting in unless I pulled them out of the harness. I didn't realize the FHF could tuck. Marsupial gear is magnetized, so you gotta be careful closing it so it doesn't make any noise. Also, I've only had the shoulder straps with nothing encasing the binos before. So going from that to an actual encased harness was a comfort. I just hated the binoculars bouncing as well as the strain of the straps being connected while you pulled them up to look at something.

sgnading

FNG
I went with the badlands xr and I've loved it. Haven't taken it out hunting but I've practiced with it on and I'm excited to try it out this season. I was worried about having the weight pressed again my chest as I have always hated workouts with weighted vests. However, I haven't noticed any issues yet. Seems to put the perfect amount of pressure on my chest where it doesn't bounce around but I also don't feel like it's hard to breathe properly.

skolberg

FNG
I have used the SoloHunter Bino harness for two years now. there are so many out there and depending on your wants/needs/ hunting style I think there is one for everybody. I like the solo hunter as it is simplistic, quiet, and effective. Not a bunch of extra pockets to hold gear ( I am now wanting an Alaska guide creations for that reason when on a backpack hunt) but I have found it to be a huge help being so simple and streamlined when I am on a stalk. I mostly bowhunt; spot and stock mule deer and elk so it keeps my binos clean and handy as I am crawling across the ground on my belly. The magnets that hold the pouch closed are very quiet and strong. I would recommend it when hunting out of a pickup IE: when you are not needing a ton of gear/gadgets to be carried with you all day. I have the rangefinder pouch on mine and it is very effective. I added some mole skin to help keep is quiet as well. I would recommend trying a few and seeing what fits your needs!

LionHead

WKR
I Alway carried a HPG kit bag for pistol/kit. Just picked up their bino pocket to Carry my 10x43 up front. Just another option.
26cd0720527535278fef390d75a647af.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk