Bino + Rangefinder vs Bino with Rangefinder built in

JakeSCH

WKR
I honestly was carrying multiple no matter what. When I ran my Zeiss RF's and I always had a pair of Swaro 15x with me. So last year I switched to the NL Pures 12x + Sig2400abs which is a great combo. I recently upgraded to the Revic BR4.

I like not having to go back and forth, but to me carrying NL 12x made it worth it.

At end of the day, you have a ton of good choices. But my recommendation would be to get the best the best glass. And with your proposed budget, I would get a pair of used Swaro EL's / Zeiss Victory SF and a Sig2400abs.

tdhanses

WKR
Either way, as I said in my post, so is the single RF unit. Difference is once the electronics are obsolete and irreparable, it STILL costs more to replace and own the RF binos. It's dollars and cents, and at the end of the day, the RF binos cost more, period. You get much higher value per dollar spent with separate units.
The RF bino is still very usable as a bino though if the electronics fail, the optics will not be obsolete, so it’s probably cheaper over the long haul actually even if you send them in for repair. No one would pay $500 to repair a $700 item that’s 5 years old, everyone would pay $500 to repair a $3500 item that’s only 5yrs old and has plenty of useful life remaining, that’s the issue with your analysis is you think most will just keep buying a new item when there is an issue and just junk them, I don’t think they will.

I think it just comes down to preference in the end, cost isn’t really a factor.

I have a set of 12x50 Vortex Razors and the Razor 4000 RF. I've contemplated selling both to get the Fury 5000 ABs, but I don't think I want to sacrifice optical quality for it.

I have come up with the perfect solution though......

Just buy both. For the convenience that the RF Binos offer, I want a set but I am going to eat my cake and have it too. Only problem is the wallet will be a little lighter.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a set of 12x50 Vortex Razors and the Razor 4000 RF. I've contemplated selling both to get the Fury 5000 ABs, but I don't think I want to sacrifice optical quality for it.

I have come up with the perfect solution though......

Just buy both. For the convenience that the RF Binos offer, I want a set but I am going to eat my cake and have it too. Only problem is the wallet will be a little lighter.
Or just get Leica HDB’s used for less.

Tmac

WKR
Hands down combo lrf binos. I don’t know anyone here in the Rockies that hunts seriously and still uses separate binos & rf. Who the hec wants to look at game, and then come out of their glass and dig out their range finder so they can range it, and go back & forth all day?

So which ones do you get? IMHO if you have the coin, go with the Swaro EL Range binos, they’re bad to the bone. If you’re more cost sensitive but still want a solid set of rf binos then look to the SIG Kilo 3k. Those would be my choices. I’ve beat the crap out of a set of the Sig Kilo 3k binos over the past 3 years, and they still operate perfectly. Awesome warranty too.

I don’t think you can necessarily go wrong with the Leica binos or the newer updated Vortex Fury binos, but I think the Swaros beat the Leicas, and the SIGs beat the Vortex.
Hi Superchop, I‘m Tmac, I hunt the Rockies, fairly seriously... Now that we’re acquainted, your count goes from 0 to 1. Lol.

It really is personal preference. I‘ve had enough RF issues and optics upgrade issues that I keep ‘em separate. My good hunting buddy does not. We both do fine.

Superchop

FNG
Hi Superchop, I‘m Tmac, I hunt the Rockies, fairly seriously... Now that we’re acquainted, your count goes from 0 to 1. Lol.

It really is personal preference. I‘ve had enough RF issues and optics upgrade issues that I keep ‘em separate. My good hunting buddy does not. We both do fine.
Haha. Yeah, personal preference for sure. Now that I think about it there are a couple more dudes I know that keep em’ separate. Mostly guys that have really nice swaro glass w/o the onboard rf. I get it, …They’re not gonna leave their nice swaros at home, and they aren’t ready to buy another set with onboard rd due to the cost.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For rifle hunting I use the Meopta Optika LRs. I don’t archery hunt much anymore and I don’t even know where my range finder is.

Laramie

WKR
I prefer separate. How often does a guy really need to range during a hunt? I might use it for 20 seconds a day where I am in binoculars for several hours a day. Holding up the extra 1/2 pound is noticeable hours into glassing- no thank you.

To the OP- you do not need to spend crazy money on glass. My binos and rangefinder combined are under 1k and they work very well.