Bino testing

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do any of you run tests on your new binos to see how they are? Not just looking at different treelines or viewing at dusk and dawn but anything specific? Especially while comparing binos
I know this may seem pretty vague but my kids are older and cheaper now so I'm finally able to buy some really nice glass. I've been using the same Nikon Monarch 8x42 since 2005 and while they were good enough hunting in Massachusetts and NH Hampshire they lacked in 2 TX hunts and 1 Newfoundland hunt. I plan on doing more and more hunting away from home so I said "the hell with it" and bought 3 binos. Vortex Razor, Maven B1 and Leupold BX-4 all 10x42 because they will be used more on my home turf. I know these may not be "high end" to some of you here and thats fine but I'm not looking for brand selections.
What specifically do you do? Please let me know so I can test them pretty good and get the best for my money! Thanks in advance

Beendare

WKR
Some good tests done here by the Rokslide crew if you search.

I think the best tests use that USAF resolution chart at long distance.....

______

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I would say choose your max price and try all of the ones you can within that price range. I look for clarity, color, fuzzy edges, eye relief, blackouts, handling, and overall build quality. You get what you pay for in optics but there are diminishing returns. If you go with the big 3. Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss will be similar in there views with minor color differences and major handling differences. Try them in low light and sundown/sunrise if you are able....that is what will differentiate them from one another.

Tahoe1305

WKR
A comparison I did a while back with a dozen or so pairs (can’t remember exact number). Loads of fun.

OP
West.mass.hunter

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
A comparison I did a while back with a dozen or so pairs (can’t remember exact number). Loads of fun.

Thats the thread that I read. Great info thanks

OP
West.mass.hunter

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would say choose your max price and try all of the ones you can within that price range. I look for clarity, color, fuzzy edges, eye relief, blackouts, handling, and overall build quality. You get what you pay for in optics but there are diminishing returns. If you go with the big 3. Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss will be similar in there views with minor color differences and major handling differences. Try them in low light and sundown/sunrise if you are able....that is what will differentiate them from one another.

What is "blackout"?

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I call blackouts where you move your eye a little to see different parts of the FOV and you get a blackout of your view. You will see this more with small exit pupils and tight eye reliefs.

OP
West.mass.hunter

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I call blackouts where you move your eye a little to see different parts of the FOV and you get a blackout of your view. You will see this more with small exit pupils and tight eye reliefs.
Oh ok, I'll keep an eye out for that, Thanks

Tahoe1305

WKR
WMH,

what recommend is the following:

Print of a resolution chart (the USAF ones probably the easiest....just find one online and print high res on 8x10 or bigger sheet of paper).

Take it out somewhere that you can see at least 400 yds. If you can see further (maybe out to 1000, even better).

In good daylight set all three up on tripods (have to use a tripod IMO to get good results), and at maybe 100,400,1000 see what the lowest resolution you can make out on the chart. if you don’t have multiple tripods just take the time to swap them

You can also get creative and find some objects to validate FOV, but most their specs comparatively seemed about right.

Next take the same chart at maybe 100yds and put it up at the very top or bottom of the FOV and see what the best you can see then is (testing edge to edge clarity). Compare this to your earlier 100yd value for each.

Then at about 30 min prior to sundown head out at 100yds and switch between all of them recording what the best you can see every 5 min or so. One will likely be able to see more than the others.

I didn’t say it earlier but make sure to set and leave your diopter alone at the very beginning. Do it the same way for each (focus on same object at same distance).

These at a minimum I feel will find you a winner and can be done in a afternoon. I would try and duplicate the test maybe another day though just to validate you get the same results.

Hope this helps.

OP
West.mass.hunter

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
WMH,

what recommend is the following:

Print of a resolution chart (the USAF ones probably the easiest....just find one online and print high res on 8x10 or bigger sheet of paper).

Take it out somewhere that you can see at least 400 yds. If you can see further (maybe out to 1000, even better).

In good daylight set all three up on tripods (have to use a tripod IMO to get good results), and at maybe 100,400,1000 see what the lowest resolution you can make out on the chart. if you don’t have multiple tripods just take the time to swap them

You can also get creative and find some objects to validate FOV, but most their specs comparatively seemed about right.

Next take the same chart at maybe 100yds and put it up at the very top or bottom of the FOV and see what the best you can see then is (testing edge to edge clarity). Compare this to your earlier 100yd value for each.

Then at about 30 min prior to sundown head out at 100yds and switch between all of them recording what the best you can see every 5 min or so. One will likely be able to see more than the others.

I didn’t say it earlier but make sure to set and leave your diopter alone at the very beginning. Do it the same way for each (focus on same object at same distance).

These at a minimum I feel will find you a winner and can be done in a afternoon. I would try and duplicate the test maybe another day though just to validate you get the same results.

Hope this helps.
Already emailed myself a photo of the USAF chart after reading your thread and beendare suggested it so I'll print it out at home after work. Thanks for the edge to edge clarity check thats a great one I never would have thought of

OP
West.mass.hunter

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm liking these suggestions guys thanks a bunch and keep them coming if you think of anymore

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m curious how your Bx-4s compare being half the price. I had BX-5s in mine and they were first to go back and I wish I would have had the 4’s instead because I seemed to like them more in stores (and they’re cheaper).

It’s a good time enjoy it. I will say be careful. It’s a bit addicting. I ended up with about 15 pairs before it was all said and done (most sent back, a few sold, a few kept) but the msn creep continues. I ended up with 12x50 Meostars (more than my original test group), THEN in a rash of unexplained Coronavirus silliness bought some 12x50ELs last week......my wife is going to kill me.

OP
West.mass.hunter

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious how your Bx-4s compare being half the price. I had BX-5s in mine and they were first to go back and I wish I would have had the 4’s instead because I seemed to like them more in stores (and they’re cheaper).

It’s a good time enjoy it. I will say be careful. It’s a bit addicting. I ended up with about 15 pairs before it was all said and done (most sent back, a few sold, a few kept) but the msn creep continues. I ended up with 12x50 Meostars (more than my original test group), THEN in a rash of unexplained Coronavirus silliness bought some 12x50ELs last week......my wife is going to kill me.
If I do that then getting killed by my will be the easiest way out of that lol

OP
West.mass.hunter

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I did some "testing" and right off the bat the Leupolds were out. They didn't compete with either the Vortex or the Maven in any sitting. I found that surprising but they just weren't as crisp and clear for my eyes. Maybe a dud??

I haven't seen any negative posts or reviews about Maven where as Vortex is always hit or miss so that was in the back of my mind going into this. I do own 3 Vortex scopes and haven't had any issues at all BUT 2 out of 3 of my hunting buddies have had issues with there Vortex scopes. Again, that was sitting in the back of my mind.

As much as I wanted to like the Maven B1 more (love the customizing feature) then the Razors I couldn't.
The Razors fit my hands better, the diopter locks on the Razor, the eye cups stayed where I put them, both eye cups on the B1 kept popping out when taking them in an AGC harness. I wear glasses so they need to stay all the way down. The Razors are noticeably lighter. I didn't really think 5oz. was noticeable but it really is. Respect to the guys that file down there tooth brushes
I thought the glass on the Razor and B1 were even in every kind of light I tested in, I couldn't tell any difference in clarity in either. I'm sure this might surprise some and might not surprise others. The B1's do seem tougher and better built though. The focus wheel on both did seem really touchy, I don't know if my other binos are so gunked up that I'm not used to new but I would have liked the wheel to be a bit stiffer on both. It's probably just a new and clean issue.

I'm gonna keep the Razors and hope my good luck with them continues. Thanks for the info on testing, it went a long way

Tahoe1305

WKR
I liked the razors too. I think a really good “value” upper end bino. Glad you got some testing done and to judge with your own eyes.