Bino/tripod suggestions

Hey guys! I’m pretty new here, but I’ve been interested in doing an elk hunt out west for the past couple of years, and I think this is the year I finally get to make it happen. I’ve been looking at binoculars, and it seems to me that the maven C.1s are a good buy, and then adding a tripod will help a guy out significantly. I realize there are limitations, but I’m just going out to learn, and try to put some meat in the freezer. I’m also a medical student, so I’m ballin’ on a budget. Are there any other binos you guys would recommend? And what would be a good tripod that’s sturdy, but not crazy heavy? I’m trying to stick around $500 for my budget. Any advice would be appreciated!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor of this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options with you if you've got the time to give a call, 516-217-1000. This way we can discuss what would be best for you.

Gilkj4

FNG
Having to spend $500 for a few sticks is crazy, check out leofoto carbon tripods

pc3

WKR
Call the team at CL I grabbed a promaster 525 & Sirui VA5 head works great, my son has Sirui (forget the model) with promaster spch20 head....his Sirui is a ripper and I'd be as happy with that as my promaster.

I think Sirui stuff is really good.

He uses a Hawke spotter with his and I use a Meopta s2.....both heavy spotters I suppose and the heads handle them fine. The Promaster spch 20head is "taller/skinnier" you could say more svelte in appearance. While the VA5 head is "wider/shorter " just the way they are designed. Both heads function perfectly

Both setups well south of $500.

I mean I'd love an Outdoorsman tripod......just to have an Outdoorsman, may get a tall from them one day. But the above outfits are super solid. I personally like the feel of Alloy better than CF, even though my Promaster 525 is a CF unit.

Beckjhong

WKR
If you’re not using a spotter, you don’t need a huge/heavy head. I’d spend less on tripod and head and put that $$ towards better glass.

JRMiller

WKR
In the budget binos my favs are the C1s and the Meopta Optikas, followed closely by Nikons.
For just binos a lightwieght but solid (read-no wobble) tripod will work fine.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, I think the $500 budget mentioned is including binos and tripod. Can't imagine he's wanting to buy $300 binos and put them on a $500 tripod... C1s are a good choice. So are Leupold bx-4s. For $65 on Amazon the zomei q555 is a solid, fairly lightweight tripod with a decent ball head.