Bino Tripod

BTT

FNG
Hi everyone,

I have my first elk hunt this fall in Montana. I am wondering about weather a tripod for my binocular's is a necessity. I am not packing a spotting scope, just my binoculars. If you do use a tripod for your binos, what's a good brand you recomend?

HenDawg3

FNG
Depends how you’re going to hunt and what glass you have. I like the outdoorsman’s tripods because they’re light and for the attachments, but they aren’t cheap

If you’re not sure, get something light and cheap like this. If you decide it’s something you really like/need or if you want a taller one for standing, you can upgrade later.

You’re probably dropping $3-500 for a high end tripod and head that’s going to weigh 2-3 pounds. That’s a lot of money and weight for something you’re not sure you’ll use.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I run binoculars only most of the time and if you plan on extended glassing sits I'd recommend using a tripod, I have mine set up to shoot off of also

Attachments

• IMG_20220620_082025887.jpg
    IMG_20220620_082025887.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20220620_082127833.jpg
    IMG_20220620_082127833.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20220620_082237147.jpg
    IMG_20220620_082237147.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 65
OP
B

BTT

FNG

If you’re not sure, get something light and cheap like this. If you decide it’s something you really like/need or if you want a taller one for standing, you can upgrade later.

You’re probably dropping $3-500 for a high end tripod and head that’s going to weigh 2-3 pounds. That’s a lot of money and weight for something you’re not sure you’ll use.
Thanks Guns, that helps a lot.

I use a SLIK 7 something series tripod to glass with my 15’s. I really like it, my spotter ends up sitting at home or in the truck most of the time.

Blackbird

FNG
I understand the point of view of not wanting to put the investment into an item you are not sure you are going to use. That said I started with a cheaper light tripod which kind of defeated the purpose of using it in the first place as it was shaky and just simply not sturdy. Once I used a higher quality tripod I was sold as it eliminated all the unwanted shake and allowed me to hone in on little movements you would likely miss otherwise.

fatlander

WKR
I recently picked up a Sirui traveler 5C for my 10’s to use elk hunting. Full disclosure, I wanted to buy the AOKA that’s listed above but it was out of stock. When it goes out of stock, it takes quite a while for them to get any back in, at least it has in the past. There’s one left in stock right now, I’m guessing it got returned by someone.

Back to Sirui, a little more expensive and a little heavier than the AOKA. Albeit, the Sirui gets quite a bit taller (about 5 feet fully extended w/my outdoorsman adapter). I took the center extension off since I’m just planning on seated glassing while elk hunting. Overall, I’m very happy with Sirui 5C and the ball head that comes with it. I’ve spent a few hours in the field with it, and I think it’s going to be perfect for my applications.

If you’re not hunting open or broken country that you’re going to be spending a decent amount of time behind glass, leave the tripod at home. If it’s a unit/area that is mostly dark timber, you’re going to need to use your ears and nose to find elk that you can’t see with the naked eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CCH
One of my cardinal rules that if I’m going to carry something make sure it’s solid enough to do the job… no cheap or lightweight stuff. Elk hunting beats everything to pieces.

But also I do my best to use multi purpose gear. My tripod, a Bog Pod, isn’t the lightest but it’s bulletproof AND it serves as a bino rest, spotter rest, and a gun rest using the Switcheroo system. I can spot them, judge them, and shoot them from the same tripod.

skip189

FNG
I have been wondering about using a tripod also as always just do it free hand glassing and on long sits gets a bit tiring. Bought a used sirui carbon fiber tripod and a bino mount and going to try it this year.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Absolutely use a tripod! Especially if you have no spotter.

Imo, you may skimp on the tripod(lose stability) but spend the $ on a nice fluid head

My go to is a Slik 733CF(can use standing) and Sirui VA-5 fluid head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTT, I was in the same shoes as you. It is definitely worth getting a tripod if you are planning on doing a good bit of glassing. Stability looking over big country makes such a big difference. Weight and durability are a big deal over the long run, but like Guns said, just get in the game. People on here will talk about buy once cry once until they are blue in the face, but having something vs nothing will let you make mistakes and figure out what works for you.

MattCO

FNG
I was amazed with what I could see with binos on a tripod. I did try a cheaper tripod and bino adapter at first, but now have better quality gear and the extra cost is well worth it to me.

Look for sales or call a site sponsor for a deal. Also check the optics classified section and get a used tripod from someone that upgraded.

CCH

WKR
I wish using binos on a tripod had been a "thing" a long time ago. I have discovered it relatively late in my hunting career, and if glassing is a big part of your hunt, putting those binos on a tripod can't be beat.