Bino+tripod

Lost Arra

FNG
How many are using this combo either as a substitute for a spotter or in addition to a spotter?

Spotting scopes exhaust me and I end up with a headache (both alpha or bargain scopes). Maybe if I used them more often this would not be the case but I'm a flatlander who gets to the mtns for elk once or twice a year. I've been considering some higher magnification binos with a tripod. One of the elk country photos got me interested again.

Thanks

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use them with my tripod / spotter. I can put either my spotting scope or binos on my tripod.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
Here in AZ you see more guys going with tripod mounted binos than spotters. Spotting scopes are used, but usually to get a better view of an animal to size him up. Glassing with tripod mounted binos is very big with coues whitetail hunters, but is used for elk and mule deer also. There is a lot of big country here in AZ so a lot of times 15's are used for on the tripod. However, if I'm hunting and not looking out past 800 yards, I'll often just use my 8's on top of my tripod. It is so much easier to pick up movement when the binos are tripod mounted than handheld.

For me personally, I don't have a spotter yet. I want one, but am torn between a really good 65 or 80mm one that may get left in the truck more than not due to weight, or a small compact one like the nikon 50mm ed scope. I'm leaning towards the 50mm ed, figuring it might actually get used, especially in conjunction with my 8's where I don't need my 15's, but want to check something out.

For me, I'd much rather glass with bino's than a spotter and when a spotter is available we use it to just get a better look. Most times though, I can tell in my 15's if it is worth going after.

Here is a buddy of mine on a coues hunt...
P1110511.jpg

Me doing some early season glassing...
P1000922.jpg

Typical glassing view in northern AZ...
VAna-uFqqUx6rKl6tgrjvrwXS-NWgEniaDC3JGBeLZk
P1010232.JPG

Ron

a3dhunter

WKR
I will use the tripod with my 10x42 and my 15x50's, I only use the spotting scope once something has already been spotted to get a better idea of what I'm going after.

B

bearguide

it really helps to have them steady plus if you want to show what you find to your partner all you have to do is have then look in your binos

luke moffat

Super Moderator
it really helps to have them steady plus if you want to show what you find to your partner all you have to do is have then look in your binos

Isn't that what the spotter is for? :D Just kidding I can see times when the binos on a tripod woudl be handy when you don't bring a spotter along, but mainly I just locate with binos and then zero on it with the spotter and then show my buddy. :D

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Isn't that what the spotter is for? :D Just kidding I can see times when the binos on a tripod woudl be handy when you don't bring a spotter along, but mainly I just locate with binos and then zero on it with the spotter and then show my buddy. :D

And you don't want to show your buddy until you have decided to pass or shoot.....