Bino Upgrade: 12x vs. 15x and Meopta vs. Swaro EL....Seeking input!

visage

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently running a set of 10x42 Nikon HGs and really enjoy them. My cousin picked up some 15x56 SLCs last year, and ever since then I've thought that my next set of binos would be 15x56s to compliment my 10s. With that said, I'm not a huge fan of the smaller FOV on the 15s, and often times I spotted just as much game or more than my cousin, in my opinion because I was seeing a larger part of the mountain. The 15s are very handy for getting more detail on animals and picking apart timber/sage, however, which I do appreciate. A common scenario is I find "elk", and he tells me its a rag horn, or a 6 point, etc. We are primarily running our binos on tripods. I've used spotters some and I much prefer using both eyes with binos. Not really looking to add a spotter at this time and a BTX system isn't in the budget.

I hunt with my wife 20% of the time, my cousin 30% of the time, and am solo the other 50%. When its me and the wife we are constantly fighting over the 10s, readjusting them, etc. When I'm with my cousin we do very well with one of us on 15s and the other of 10s. When I'm solo I may or may not have the opportunity to borrow the 15s, depending on our schedules. This past year he also picked up an 85mm Vortex Razor spotter.

In my search for 15s I came across countless articles about 12s vs 15s, and that coupled with the deals on used 12x50 ELs (similar to 15x56 SLCs) that I've seen have be thinking that 12s might be the best fit.

I'm interested in feedback from those that have run 12s and 15s. I like the idea of 12s in that I would likely use them 95% of the time, both on my chest and on a tripod vs. swapping between 10s and 15s. The 12s would allow my wife to take possession of the 10s and hopefully eliminate us fighting over binos. If I went the 15 route, would it be too redundant for my cousin and I to each have 15s? I suppose I could still run 10s while he's on the 15s, but once again my expensive optics wouldn't be getting used as much.

Lastly, for roughly the same money as ELs or 15x56 SLCs it looks like I could get both 12x50 and 15x56 Meoptas. Would this be foolish and overkill to have 10s, 12s, and 15s?

Thanks in advance!

i'm the world's biggest meopta fan but those swaro 15s are just a touch better. Since your wife goes with you a lot i'd keep the 10s and add either swaro 15s or Meopta 15s.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I have meopta 15s and my hunting partner has swaro 15s. Both are really nice and easy to spend long periods glassing. By looking at both side by side I’d say the swaro has perhaps a slight advantage looking in the darker areas such as under trees or brush. The swaro had a cooler (blueish) look while the meopta had a warmer (yellowish) look. But I really don’t think you can tell a difference in detail or sharpness. Both control CA really well. My buddy really likes my meopta and I really like his swaros. When I purchased the meopta was a bit cheaper. If I remember right the swaro was a few oz lighter. Honestly don’t think you could go wrong with either. They are both really great pieces of glass.
Lastly, the choice of 10,12 or 15x binos is personal and depends on your hunting. For me I like 10s and 15s. I can’t hold 12s steady enough for my hands so if I’m going to use the tripod the 15s are really nice. And if I want to cut some weight and leave the 15s at home the 10s do well on a tripod too.

TheGDog

WKR
I'd say go with the 15's. Even if you are rock steady holding 10's... that changes over time, so going with 12's could prove bothersome for hand-holding at times. And if weight gets troublesome on a particular hike-in... like if you're having to carry-in all your water for a multi-day... instead of your 10's as the primary handheld option, you might elect to bring along some inexpensive compact 8's, and throw a Binos stud on 'em. I've had to do that a few times with the Vortex DiamondBack compact 8x28 as the handheld one. They have this nice super long eye-relief so as an eyeglass wearer it's very easy to bring em up and get into them. Can fit into a jacket pocket or Hipbelt pouch on your pack, and they're very light so easy to brace against brow and hand against cheek bone for even one handed quick checks. Especially easier if you're huffin' and puffin' during a hike-in and thought you saw something and wanna check. Only drawback with them is they're only about as bright as your own eye. They don't extend your viewing time any.

BUT... I wouldn't bring that combo if the terrain is more geared towards long range, like wide-open DesertHills and stuff like that. Only in woodlands or like thick chapparal, where most of the time you're limited in distance anyway. But then once you get up high somewhere you still have the 15's.

You can always grab for a lower powered optic if you want, but you can't grab for a higher powered optic that you don't even have.

Jpace

FNG
Sworas are just a touch better then meopta from what I can tell. Maybe save soon money and stick with meopta. Meopta has great customer service but you might have to pay to get them fixed if they break and it’s your fault. I learned that the hard way.