Binoc Input

gethuntin

WKR
Looking to upgrade my binoculars this coming year wondering if anyone has any insight on a few different pairs that are out there and how they compare.

I looked at the Vortex Vipers HD 10x42 and compared them outside to the Cabelas Euros and Euros Hds, i much preffered the Euros but they were 200 and 300 dollars more. Although the Euros can be found for the same price or cheaper in the Bargain Cave.

I have the regular Zen Rays ED's but am looking at the ED'3 demo for $330. How do these compare to some others.

Anyone get there hands on the new Zeiss's?

I am most closely looking at clarity, low light capabilites, warranty and the best value.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Meoptas are a league above the Zen Rays. the ED3s have an EXTREMELY similar image to the EDs, but better stray light control.

The Viper HDs are a very nice bin, with a slightly reduced FOV to the others. Otherwise the optical performance is just a tad behind the Meoptas.

If you like the ED3s, my recommendation would be to look at the very similar Vortex Talon HDs, which have Vortex' awesome warranty and customer service as well.

Tough to go wrong with the Meoptas if you can swing it.

Snyd

WKR
Check out PENTAX DCF SP or DCF ED.

I've had the 10x43 DCF SP's since they first came out back before the ED's. Superb optics, every bit as nice as my buddies Zeiss 10x40 Classics. The ED's have an edge in certain conditions over the SP's but not enough to make me want to upgrade. I have another buddy who has the 8x43 DCF ED's. I've compared ours in the field. 8x43 ED's are stunning. If I were buying today that's what I'd buy. Shop around, you can get them for less than 999 retail.
Waterproof, shockproof, 25 ozs, lifetime warranty. Check out the specs and go look through some.

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+ED+8x43

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I always liked the Pentax image as well, Snyd, but couldn't get along with the narrowish FOV, especially on the 8x.

Snyd

WKR
How's life in the Bitteroot? I'm from Missoula, owned a house in Lolo before I moved to Fairbanks in 91. I wasn't quite a Bitterooter but close :D

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Haha Snyd, you WERE a Bitterrooter!

I don't know of any other rivers running through Lolo!

As you probably remember, life is great here.

Sure liked Fairbanks this last September as well.

:)

If you are buying new, the under a thousand market is very crowded. Go look through the Zeiss Conquest HD's first - their image and resolution are unreal for the price. The 2012+ Vortex Razor HD's are great in hand (maybe a tad lighter and pricier?), with image comparable to pre/non-Swarovision Swarovski EL's that are still available from Cabelas.

If you go the used route, I think the older Swarovski SLC's can be had for under a thousand bucks and are very tough to beat for the money. Side by side, my buddies mid-90's SLC glass is as good, albeit slightly warmer in color, as the EL's from a decade later.