Binocular conundrum!

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I'd keep the Vortex 10x42's as always good to have an extra set, could be thrown in your truck for road scouting, etc.

Pony up the xtra $$ above your $1500 to get to a higher quality set of glass like the SLC 10-42s.

22lr

WKR
I'd say it depends on the rest of your gear. I use a pair of 10x42 Vipers and love em as my primary. I know they are not the best, the glass may not even be top tier for the price, but if I had $1.5k upgrading my binos would be a super low priority. Your milage may vary based on what gear you have, but just recommend a step back into a cost v benefit analysis to see if there are better things to buy for the money. If you have good everything else, then ya, then maybe some super nice binos. But the 10x to 12x range is all you really need if your buddy has a spotter and you know you won't need to get your own eventually.

OP
J

Jo83ben

FNG
All good advice! only giving me more to think about! haha. I'm kind of stuck to amazon for the bulk of the purchase at this time (I was given a 1500 amazon gift card, so I have to use it on amazon). Never looked at the Sirui backcountry tripod before but it looks pretty darn good!

Still thinking about maybe doing SLC or similar in 10x42 and skipping high power binos. Not as versatile, but it seems like those with alpha level glass are saying its worth it. I'm fairly convinced I won't ever get a spotting scope, but having higher power binos would be nice for longer glassing sessions.

Anyone have any experience with the Meopta meostars? They seem like they're nearly SLC level but 500 less depending on where you get them. Also, what Zeiss would be comparable? Ive looked through the Conquest HD and they seem nice, but hard to tell in store lighting.

Rodéo

WKR
All good advice! only giving me more to think about! haha. I'm kind of stuck to amazon for the bulk of the purchase at this time (I was given a 1500 amazon gift card, so I have to use it on amazon). Never looked at the Sirui backcountry tripod before but it looks pretty darn good!

Still thinking about maybe doing SLC or similar in 10x42 and skipping high power binos. Not as versatile, but it seems like those with alpha level glass are saying its worth it. I'm fairly convinced I won't ever get a spotting scope, but having higher power binos would be nice for longer glassing sessions.

Anyone have any experience with the Meopta meostars? They seem like they're nearly SLC level but 500 less depending on where you get them. Also, what Zeiss would be comparable? Ive looked through the Conquest HD and they seem nice, but hard to tell in store lighting.
Look for deals in the Amazon Warehouse category for bino's. They are open box items that have been returned by amazon customers and are backed by amazon's warranty (return within window no questions asked). They have had a few good deals posted lately: Nikon Monarch HG's, Zeiss Conquests, Vortex UHD's, and more. I know these aren't as sought after as the SLC's but for the list price of the bino's I mentioned in the warehouse you could buy two top tier bino's for different applications and still come out ahead versus buying new SLC's from amazon.

TheGDog

WKR
Even without more magnification my ability to see things at distance is so much better it is unbelievable.

^^^ THIS is one of the biggest things you'll notice once you go back to your more OpenCountry areas and setup on a tripod. You'll be astounded how far out you can see stuff.

The hard part comes when you're just trying to fill a tag... and a spike buck walks into the picture... but.. you're not sure... but it looks like *maybe* he has enough of a tiny little nub on one antler to make him maybe be legal or not?

I had this spike buck at approx 200yds. Looking like crazy w/ the ZEISS and couldnt' quite be sure. Tried the Vortex Vultures at 15x I also had w/ me that day. But.. since the Vultures clarity is a minor notch down.. the extra 5x didn't really help matters. Most probably won't have this dilemma since they'll gladly wait around for another buck where it's certain it's at least 2x on one side. But after all the effort I'd put in at another location.. I would have jumped at the chance to take him and just be done and be able to have a succes.
SpikeBuck in the PM.jpg

OP
J

Jo83ben

FNG
Interesting. I’ve never fully enjoyed high end glass (like truly high end). I’ve looked through the SLC pretty much every time I’m in sportsmans, but not in real conditions.

Amazon has the 10x42 SLC “field pro package” sold by Eurooptic for 1599 so that’s 100 bucks out of pocket for SLC. Then I could sell my vipers for fund a tripod and mount. Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I’ve never fully enjoyed high end glass (like truly high end). I’ve looked through the SLC pretty much every time I’m in sportsmans, but not in real conditions.

Amazon has the 10x42 SLC “field pro package” sold by Eurooptic for 1599 so that’s 100 bucks out of pocket for SLC. Then I could sell my vipers for fund a tripod and mount. Thoughts??

I think you would be happy with that decision when you first look through the SLCs out in the field. I still had my diamondbacks to compare side-by-side and I spent a few hours the first day I had the SLCs just looking at things for comparison. I really wasn't sold on higher end glass until they arrived, but my buddies told me it makes a difference and they were right. I enjoyed just looking at animals during the antelope, deer, and elk seasons this year as much as I have pulling the trigger on years past.

NoWiser

WKR

I doubt you’d regret that. I wasn’t truly impressed with my SLCs until I actually took them hunting. Then I fell in love.

OP
J

Jo83ben

FNG
So I guess the other way to look at this is I have a decent pair of 10x42s with the viper HD’s. (Not great but definitely better than the diamondbacks). Would the benefits of great glass 10x42 like the SLC be a better addition than something like 15x56 meoptas?

Certainly more versatile.

Also, if I get the SLC’s, it sounds like the outdoorsman binocular adapter is the way to go. How easy is it to install the stud and does that affect the warranty on the binos?

OP
J

Jo83ben

FNG
I second the opinion of #3. Make sure you have quality handheld optics. You'll spend most of your time using the 10x. It's worth the initial investment and can last you many years. As others have/will say, buy once cry once.

There are other options out there besides the SLCs too. Zeiss is surprisingly good for the money. There's plenty of info on Rokslide about 10x comparisons.

As for tripod, consider suriu carbon fiber with va-5 fluid head. Very solid setup and pretty light. Don't forget to budget for the tripod plate and the bino adapter for it to be mounted. The outdoorsmans bino adapter is the only way to go imo. That will set you back $100 for the stud and mount.
So I think i'm going with option 3. my out of pocket cost for SLC 10x42's is 99 bucks after the gift card. Sold on amazon by Eurooptic. And will likely go with the Sirui tripod and fluid head from camerland or S&S archery. Selling the Vortex vipers to fund the tripod. Can run this for the next season and later can consider some higher power binos or small spotter if the higher magnification bug still has me.

Return vipers and get 10x42 slc’s and a good tripod and be done with it. I have some 8x slc’s for archery hunting the coast but last year didn’t even switch them out, just used my 10x

my wife stole the 8x now. I can get a lot of work done with 10x on a tripod, and the 10x42 slc’s are very versatile. The only time I want more glass is sizing up bear in the spring, but it’s not a big deal.

I have a 50mm razor spotter too, just for that, but can live without it fine. I would way rather have a good pair of 10x than compromise quality to have 2 pairs in different power

Dan2061

FNG
Definitely get rid of the vortex. If your serious about it i would get swaros with a good tripod.

born2kill

FNG
Just ordered a set of the Meostar 10x42 plus. Should have them in a few days. Unfortunately I wont be able to compare to SLC...never used a pair.

OP
J

Jo83ben

FNG
So I ended up getting the 10x42 SLC and a Sirui T-024sk tripod with the VA-5 fluid head an an outsoorsmans tall bino adapter. Couldn’t be happier with the set up. Light weight, awesome tripod adapter (I looked at and tried several bino adapters and the outdoorsmans one is definitely the way to go).

Got the tripod from cameraland and it’s an excellent back country set up. Compact, light, and seems well built.

If I didn’t get the SLC’s then the meopta were my next choice.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425