Binocular Decision

This is going to be my first Mule deer hunt this upcoming 2021 season and have some questions which binoculars will be best for me. I will be hunting open to semi open country. I will be glassing 1/2 a mile out to 2 miles. I will be doing so off of a tripod. I have scoured Rokslide for the past several weeks. And have decided that 12X are probably the best magnification for my use but I am open to other magnification suggestions. The biggest challenge in my search for binoculars is to find them under my 500$ budget.

I have narrowed my options down to:

Maven C.1 12X42 375$

Maven C.3 12X50 425$

Athlon Midas G2 12X50 UHD 500$

Vortex Viper 12X50 HD 559$

I am open to other suggestions.

I am also wondering how much better are optics in the slightly more expensive range such as the Leupold BX 4 or the Tract Toric.

Drenalin

WKR
I’m not saying it’s the way you should go because I don’t have experience with any of these, but you can get the BX-4s from lockedloaded.com for a touch over $500 (about $50 cheaper than the Vipers you listed). Click the “email quote” option.

I’d ask around about Vortex optics before you buy some. Almost everyone has a few or a lot of horror stories about them. They do have a great warranty, but that doesn’t mean crap if your hunt is ruined because of an optics failure.

ndayton

WKR
Personally I think the best bang for your buck will be the Mavens, I wouldn't go with 12x42's though as your low light glassing will suffer due to a smaller exit pupil. Vortex is fine but you would be paying more to get the same quality you would get from the Mavens.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I owned the 12x vipers for a few years. I thought they were pretty good for the cost. I then upgraded to meostars. They were better but maybe not twice as good.
I’ve since upgraded to ELs. Again better but not 5x as good.

There is a marginal increase in performance for cost in binos. For $500 or less the viper HDs are good IMO. I’m sure the mavens would be as well.

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the forum.

Understanding that you have a budget, of those that you mentioned, Maven wins easily. I would go with a 10 power glass rather than the 12's as your one glass. I would also save some more money and look for a pair of used Swarovski or Meopta or at least the Maven B series. Glass is really important and good glass is way more important.

I've owned both the 10x42 and 12x50 Viper HDs for a couple years apiece, and currently own a set of 10x42 C.1s as back-ups. IMO 12X is too high of a power for the Viper glass, and wouldn't get a pair of the 12x50 Vipers. The Maven C-series has much clearer glass and better low light performance compared to similar Viper series binos, but they do compromise some on the external build. The higher you go in magnification the better glass you're going to need, so if you're set on 12X you may consider bumping up the budget to a set of used Meoptas or Tracts. You could try calling Tract and see if you can get an open box pair from their outlet to bring them into your price range.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the ç1's and the vipers. To me, the vipers were better. If you can muster up a couple hundred more $$$ and find some slightly used Leicas Trinovid 10x42s or Swaro SLC 10x42s, you'll be w miles ahead of those options that you listed. If not, find some used vipers and minimize your upfront cost/loss when you sell to upgrade.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Pair of 12x50 Meostar in the classifieds awhile ago for $700. Probably some room to negotiate now.

Wvroach

WKR
Monarch 7s would be another option in your price range. Though not 12xs the 10x42s are good glass for the money. As the user above me said if you can save a bit more and get some Swarovski you would be well ahead.

I had the diamondbacks before I bought my swaros and I had no issues with them. They were actually really good for a $250 set of binos imo.

Jo83ben

FNG
Cabelas (bass pro really) is clearancing out their Cabelas branded meoptas in store right now. Their meopta meostar b1 HD’s with uglier armor and pretty cheap. I have the SLC’s from Swarovski and love them, but the meopta meostars are supposed to be like 95% of what the SLC’s are for much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not saying it’s the way you should go because I don’t have experience with any of these, but you can get the BX-4s from lockedloaded.com for a touch over $500 (about $50 cheaper than the Vipers you listed). Click the “email quote” option.
I have the BX-4 Proguide HDs and they are amazing. They are better than Viper HDs in my opinion. Right up there with the Razors (Not the UHDs). Also, the BX-4s are made in Japan. The vipers are made in china. Not sure about the others.

OP
O
In your options are 10X42 Binoculars enough power to glass out to 2 miles. I will be using them purely to spot deer not score them I have a spotting scope for that.

22lr

WKR
I love my Vipers, but if you look around you can get em way cheaper than $559. I think I got my 10x42s for $350 new...

In your options are 10X42 Binoculars enough power to glass out to 2 miles. I will be using them purely to spot deer not score them I have a spotting scope for that.
Finding bedded and/or obscured deer at 2 miles is a tall order for 10s no matter the manufacturer. It can be difficult enough with alpha 15s. Now if the deer are in the open and the sun is hitting them just right, then you can spot them with your naked eye way the hell out there. This may be common place for some folks (lucky SOBs) but from my personal experience, that may be about 30-60 minutes at first light (unless there's a full moon).

Once on a tripod, the quality of all binoculars improves dramatically. Quality of glass not only helps with finding more animals but also reduces eye fatigue, headaches, etc. This is especially nice when you glass from before dawn to dusk.