Binocular Question

Rich M

WKR
I'm thinking to upgrade my Leupold Mojaves (no they aren't HD) - wanting something that helps see the deer better, makes 'em more visible maybe. Buddy had cheaper but newer Leupolds on hunt and the deer were more noticeable than in mine. Figure a better pair of binocs might work better. I thought mine were better cause I paid more but that was a few years back and the HD stuff is nicer by a bit.

So - looking at some options, Mavens, Meopta, etc. and we have the $250 versions, the $500 versions, and the $1,000 (or +) versions.

Example the meopros at the $500 version - I once heard that they used the same glass in both Meostar and Meopro but now we have the cheaper Optika model. No real ideal between them except for the price diff.

Also have no way to test drive anything down here in FL - it is tough to drop decent cash and hope on an online purchase.

Hoping to find something useful in the 500-1000 range. Can go less if necessary.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I would look into Mavens demo program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from Leupold hd to Nikon hg and it was a huge upgrade. You can find the Nikon hg used in the 650 range and get them new on sale for 750ish from llbean from time to time

Forest

WKR
Maybe consider buying a used set of the $1000/binos. Will save you a few hundred and get you up to that next level. Zeiss conquest, maven b series, and meopta meostar would be 3 to look at very seriously.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
You can pick up a set of lightly used Conquests, which my eyes think is the best under 1000 bino there is, for around 700. The Nikon HG is very good too if you can tolerate the rolling ball effect.

In the $1k or less range would very highly recommend the Nikon HG. Pretty finicky on optics and they really impress, especially at that price-point

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Was just looking at the classified section and one brand really stands out - tons of their stuff for sale. Not sure why, but it is there.

LandYacht

WKR
Was just looking at the classified section and one brand really stands out - tons of their stuff for sale. Not sure why, but it is there.

Since I was curious, and bored, I added up the listing from the last week. Vortex 24, Swaro 22, Leupold 19 the rest were single digits.

Which were you referencing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Vortex seemed to have the most and Swaros weren't too far behind. Didn't realize there were 19 Leupolds - musta glazed over those. Pretty even spread actually.

Is it cause we buy these brands sight unseen and then use em a time or two and figure out that we want something different?

I need to see if the optics renting is still a thing. That could be a way to do a test run...

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Have Swarvo SLC's 10x42 myself and love them. Nothing to compare but can see axis deer pretty easily with them. This is without any optics eye piece thing and me holding my iphone to the bino eye piece.IMG_3476.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 24
The thing to do is set a firm budget. I mean firm. Then get out and try as many at that price as you can personally put your hands on.

For the $500-1K range, there are a LOT of good options.

Meopro's are not even in the same league as Meostars, Conquests, Nikon HG's or Razors.

For my money, the Leupold Pro Guide BX-4 HD's are fantastic. And this is coming from a guy who has owned 2 pairs of Swaro SLC HD's (sold them both), Two pairs of Conquests, and has bought and sold/returned just about everything in the $500-1K range.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
When I went through this selection a year ago I settled on the Meostar's after a lot of over thinking and recommendations from others. Obviously they are on the heavy side, but I definitely don't regret the decision.

Reactions: pc3