Binocular question?

Cwillimon

FNG
I recently purchased a set of meopta optika in 10x42’s. I was looking to upgrade from the vortex diamondback HDs that I had. After spending some time behind them I don’t feel as if I upgraded at all. They both have the ring around the edge and the vortex seem to have better clarity. What’s the best option in the $500 range? Thanks

I haven’t tried either of those but was impressed looking through some 10-42 leupold bx4 pro guides in that price range. Worth comparing to the others

I run the leupold bx4 pro guides. I had the chance to compare them side by side in the field with the diamondback HDs and the bx4s were noticeably better for me.

manitou1

WKR
Whew. You might contact Meopta about that. That has not been my experience.
I ordered the Leupies at the same time, and the new Burris Signature HD line at the time. The Meoptas won out... easily.

I run the leupold bx4 pro guides. I had the chance to compare them side by side in the field with the diamondback HDs and the bx4s were noticeably better for me.
I compared them to my Swaroski els and they impressed me for under $500. The biggest difference to me was in low light they weren’t as bright but they were plenty clear.

Birddog1

FNG
Due to dropping my Kahles binos out of my treestand last Friday I have been searching for a new pair. So far I’ve bought Leupold BX-2 Alpine $250, Maven C.1 $350, Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide $500 and Athlon Cronus G2 $500. All are 10x42. All would be acceptable choices depending on the budget.

I have already returned the Leupold Alpines and Maven C.1. The Leupold Pro Guide and Athlon Cronus are very close, I just got the Athlon late yesterday so I will compare the two of the them more today but looking through them at dusk last night the Athlon seemed slightly better. My son also has the Vortex Diamondback and he noticed a difference looking through the Leupold BX-4.

Both have locking diopters, the Leupold pulls out for adjustment, the Athlon has a button that you push and hold to rotate the diopter. Since it’s on the bottom focus wheel it‘s a little harder to dial in. I wear progressive bifocals and I like the eyecups on the Athlon better, they are not as bulky plus the left eye cup on the Leupold doesn‘t always stay in the down position. Athlon Binos are slightly taller and a few oz. heavier. Both come with a case but no harness.

I think either would be a good option in that $500 bracket. Good luck in your search.

I haven’t looked through the Optika‘s but the MeoPro line from Meopta is what I think would have been a solid upgrade from the Diamondback’s. The Vortex Viper line would also be an upgrade. Comparing side by side, I went with MeoPro‘s over Viper’s. Equal clarity but the Vipers had a distortion that reached down 1/3 of the way to the center of the glass. Two pair I looked through had that.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The hunting forums are decent for bino reviews. Especially this site is pretty good.

But you really should check out the bird hunting forums though. Those guys are who you want to talk to when it comes to optics.

Blue72

WKR
I haven’t been impressed with the outer edges of the lower and mid priced meopta models

the Nikon monarch 7 are really nice for the price

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased a set of meopta optika in 10x42’s. I was looking to upgrade from the vortex diamondback HDs that I had. After spending some time behind them I don’t feel as if I upgraded at all. They both have the ring around the edge and the vortex seem to have better clarity. What’s the best option in the $500 range? Thanks
That is not what I get using my Optika HD bino. Have you tried different adjustments, eyecups in or out? Your issue is not something I have heard about from others who have purchased them. Feel free to reach out to me if you think it's a QC issue.

Man, everytime I start researching a new pair of much needed binos, I get overwhelmed with the options. Im looking for something in the $500 range and get a large military discount on most. I was set on leupold bx4 pro guide, but the athlon cronus g2 look impressive. Have never looked through the GPO or Tract models and they are not easy to find to compare.

Birddog1

FNG

Found this link the other day. They evaluate binoculars from $500 all the way up to alphas. Might be helpful for your search.
After taking the Leupold and Athlon binos out to a local wooded park today, I think I’m leaning towards keep the Leupold for a few reasons. I don’t like the diopter adjustment on the Athlon, the spring loaded button is somewhat of a pain and the diopter rotated on its own a couple times so it may not have been locked. Also, I was getting those blackout spots mentioned in the article above, they are definitely more finicky than the Leupold. I was testing them in the middle of the day, very overcast and windy, no issues with either but the article mentions the low light performance of the Athlon - they lose their image quality faster than the Leupold BX-4 in low light.

After taking the Leupold and Athlon binos out to a local wooded park today, I think I’m leaning towards keep the Leupold for a few reasons. I don’t like the diopter adjustment on the Athlon, the spring loaded button is somewhat of a pain and the diopter rotated on its own a couple times so it may not have been locked. Also, I was getting those blackout spots mentioned in the article above, they are definitely more finicky than the Leupold. I was testing them in the middle of the day, very overcast and windy, no issues with either but the article mentions the low light performance of the Athlon - they lose their image quality faster than the Leupold BX-4 in low light.
Thanks for the update!